DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Find another dealership. My dealership has never responded that way in over 11 years of servicing my Jeeps. Never. Every car maker has bad dealerships. It is especially frustrating if a bad one is the only option close to home, so hopefully, you've got some other reasonable options.
Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I had slight wobble a while back after about 1000 miles with stock Sahara 18's and goodyear all terrains. Swapped to Rubi takeoffs & problem gone. Gone for like 3000 miles. Rotated tires today and guess what WOBBLE!!! It is hard to believe this suspension is that sensitive to tires and variation of tire/position!! WTF???!
Ok...So didn't rotate the tires back, but took off the damper and checked. X208M date code. Can definitely tell damper is faulty. Can move it small displacement quickly with no resistance. Called dealer to see if they could verify parts BEFORE I schedule appointment. He looked up STAR case and mentioned a date code of 320M and lower (I had previously heard 257 and lower) AND that there are TWO different part numbers now based on the VIN number of the vehicle. One of the numbers is available and the other isn't. Luckily mine IS available and they are going to order so they can verify bad and replace while I am there in 1 trip!!! AWESOME dealer. I will report results when they swap it out.

M-Train14

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Granite
On my way to the dealer for the third time regarding DW. The first time i noticed it i was around 6K miles, Steering Stabilizer replaced, noticed it again around 21K, took it back it, got another stabilizer, and it is worse than before i brought it in. I will not accept a stabilizer as a solution this time.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely agree for SOME the stabilizer is NOT a solution. However, my wobble isn't significant, just enough to bother me. It does dampen out after about a dozen cycles and hasn't gotten worse and I know my damper is bad! It is a component that is designed into the system and expected to function properly. Lexus used steering dampers from factory on their LS400s back in the early 90's! Anyhow, this is the start of documenting the problem with the dealership in case it gets worse or a recall happens in the future.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Ok...So didn't rotate the tires back, but took off the damper and checked. X208M date code. Can definitely tell damper is faulty. Can move it small displacement quickly with no resistance. Called dealer to see if they could verify parts BEFORE I schedule appointment. He looked up STAR case and mentioned a date code of 320M and lower (I had previously heard 257 and lower) AND that there are TWO different part numbers now based on the VIN number of the vehicle. One of the numbers is available and the other isn't. Luckily mine IS available and they are going to order so they can verify bad and replace while I am there in 1 trip!!! AWESOME dealer. I will report results when they swap it out.
Can you find the two different steering stabilizer part numbers? I've only found the one - 68251580AC. And do you have the Star case # ?

Last edited:

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I can hold my track bar or tie rod on both sides and it shakes as if the bushings are bad. Mine just had all the bolts re-tourqued, and it still does it. This is an issue with the parts on them now, and most likely why Jeep has new parts coming out with stiffer components. If you have 1/8 in play at each end in every component, that will lead to a lot of compounded play. Thus shake in the wheel and poor steering. A steering stabilizer may mask for a time, but does not fix the underlying issue.

A good check is to grab your parts and try to move them by hand. I verified a few on the lot last night. New ones were stiff with no play. Mine, very loose.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
A good check is to grab your parts and try to move them by hand. I verified a few on the lot last night. New ones were stiff with no play. Mine, very loose.
LOL If you read that part out of context, very funny. On a serious note, remember, the JLs in the lot don't have the new parts that just came out in mid Feb (new track bar, new drag link).

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
LOL If you read that part out of context, very funny. On a serious note, remember, the JLs in the lot don't have the new parts that just came out in mid Feb (new track bar, new drag link).
Yes, they are or should be the old parts. But the old parts seem to be fine for a while, just wear fast. My 2019 actually drove drove great the first 2500 -2700 miles. Then it started to get progressively worse. I was looking at new ones with the service tech to verify that they all don't have the play in the parts. It is something that developed with time. Most likely why new parts were made with better parts that will not wear out.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes, they are or should be the old parts. But the old parts seem to be fine for a while, just wear fast. My 2019 actually drove drove great the first 2500 -2700 miles. Then it started to get progressively worse. I was looking at new ones with the service tech to verify that they all don't have the play in the parts. It is something that developed with time. Most likely why new parts were made with better parts that will not wear out.
Which new parts did you get to look at? What were some of the differences between the old and new ones?

FYI - Successful steering fix report for the new track bar - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ng-issues-68394087aa.25299/page-3#post-604809

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Which new parts did you get to look at? What were some of the differences between the old and new ones?

FYI - Successful steering fix report for the new track bar - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ng-issues-68394087aa.25299/page-3#post-604809
I looked at the "new" Jeeps with the old track bars etc. they were not the new track bars as far as I know.

I was told I needed the new part from that thread. There is a new track bar, and some new tie rods or other components with bushings. There were 2 part numbers on my repair sheet that it said were new but back ordered. They said they they verified that those new parts should fix my issue.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can you find the two different steering stabilizer part numbers? I've only found the one - 68251580AC. And do you have the Star case # ?
No just talked to service over phone. I will try to get STAR and part numbers when I go in to get it replaced.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen part #6839408AA, and 68394097AA. Not sure what is what. Both were listed on my sheet yesterday as fixes to my issues, but are on backorder. Neither one is the same as the track bar part number I have seen before. So not really sure what it is.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have seen part #6839408AA, and 68394097AA. Not sure what is what. Both were listed on my sheet yesterday as fixes to my issues, but are on backorder. Neither one is the same as the track bar part number I have seen before. So not really sure what it is.
Which specific issues? By the way, both part numbers are invalid in the Mopar parts system. There might be some typos because Mopar parts have 8 numbers and two letters at the end. 6839408AA only has 7 numbers. And 68394097AA doesn't show up at all so it might have a typo as well.
Sponsored