First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara Altitude 3.0 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Retired (disabled) Firefighter
I am looking at purchasing a Rubicon 4XE. I am disabled so I have issues with turning the steering wheel with the steering stabilizer. I was curious if anyone knew if it could be removed without problems. Id hate to remove it and have steering issues so I’d like to know before ordering. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Not a great idea, but there are hydraulic power steering mods available. Have you test driven one?

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I’m a bit confused. The new Rubicon’s can be driven with two fingers, very little steering effort required.

I don’t think removing the steering stabilizer would change steering effort, it would only transmit more of the rattles and bumps from the road to the steering wheel itself.

OP
OP
Mmorreale

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not a great idea, but there are hydraulic power steering mods available. Have you test driven one?
Yes I test drove a Sahara and a Rubicon back to back last year and the Rubicon steering was pretty tough because of the stabilizer. I have a spinal cord injury so upper upper body strength is lower.

I purchased a Sahara but now I have to sell it because I’m having trouble at the diesel pump. So I want a hybrid and the only way to get that is either Sahara Rubicon and I would rather the Rubicon.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yes I test drove a Sahara and a Rubicon back to back last year and the Rubicon steering was pretty tough because of the stabilizer. I have a spinal cord injury so upper upper body strength is lower.

I purchased a Sahara but now I have to sell it because I’m having trouble at the diesel pump. So I want a hybrid and the only way to get that is either Sahara Rubicon and I would rather the Rubicon.
The steering stabilizer is exactly the same on the Rubicon and the Sahara.

Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
My guess is that the steering wheel was harder to turn on the Rubicon due to the tires being taller, wider, and a more aggressive tread design.
Another option would be to add a hydronic steering assist kit. You could turn the wheel with just your pinky after that.
I hope you find what you want.

OP
OP
Mmorreale

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My guess is that the steering wheel was harder to turn on the Rubicon due to the tires being taller, wider, and a more aggressive tread design.
Another option would be to add a hydronic steering assist kit. You could turn the wheel with just your pinky after that.
I hope you find what you want.
Is that a disability thing or is that an aftermarket steering option? I know that my local disability vehicle dealer can get me a prescription to modify my steering but it’s really really expensive like $4000

OP
OP
Mmorreale

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The steering stabilizer is exactly the same on the Rubicon and the Sahara.
Really, that’s good information to know. I have 35s on my Sahara and I have no trouble. I think I should go test drive again. Thanks for the information.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If the steering and suspension is working correctly (judging by the number of threads and posts, that isn't always the case), you can remove the steering stabilizer without any ill effects. The steering stabilizer does help remove/dampen some of the felt forces from the road, such as pot holes, bumps, cracks, etc. With the stabilizer removed, these forces will cause the steering wheel to rock side to side a little more.

I had mine removed for a week after I installed my first lift and had no issues. If you can find someone willing to remove it for you, give it a test drive and see if you're ok with how the steering feels.

Sponsored

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Get the Falcon adjustable steering stabilizer, it has a soft setting which feels much lighter than the stock stabilizer (I use the medium setting on mine which replicates stock feel).

OP
OP
Mmorreale

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Get the Falcon adjustable steering stabilizer, it has a soft setting which feels much lighter than the stock stabilizer (I use the medium setting on mine which replicates stock feel).
That’s a great idea thank you for that information.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR