Sponsored

Jeep N3 Dual Steering Stabilizer on Rubicon?

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
I know RC states must be lifted.
BUT I still ask.
Has anyone installed this on an un-lifted Rubicon?
Isn't the Rubicon already slightly lifted over a sport?
Will it fit?
upload_2019-4-24_22-49-36.png

Disclosure: I have a Gladiator ordered, putting 35's on it right away and driving it 2000 miles home.
If I can fit this kit on a factory height Rubicon, I will probably do it to help avoid any wobble issues driving home.

upload_2019-4-24_22-50-43.png

@Rough Country Suspensions can you help?

Thanks for any advice.
JP
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
You get death wobble because of work/cheap/poorly installed suspension and steering parts not because of larger tires. The steering stabilizer doesn't solve this, and I think he has started using new track bars instead of new steering stabilizer for the jl

Reactions: JP1

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
I just got mine on ... its not a maricle part when it comes to handling or feel of driving but when you go over a pothole or raised bumps in the road you don't jar off the right or left. you stay centered with the road. NY roads are crap

IMG_20190422_220539.jpg

OP
OP
JP1

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
I just got mine on ... its not a maricle part when it comes to handling or feel of driving but when you go over a pothole or raised bumps in the road you don't jar off the right or left. you stay centered with the road. NY roads are crap

IMG_20190422_220539.jpg
Thanks 847!
That's what I'm trying to address.
Is your Rubicon factory height or lifted? tire size?

Sponsored

OP
OP
JP1

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
THANKS!
Has anybody fitted this to a stock height Rubicon?

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
I believe the problem is that the drag link hits the rough country assembly at stock height. But I may be mistaken.
Before you decide to go this route try to take some time to understand how steering dampeners work and what they damage when they are designed poorly.
Before going into that, think about the fact that a steering stabilizer set up like that was designed for leaf sprung yj’s and cj’s several decades ago. 30-40 years later there are definitely better and smarter designs that have been out.
A “good” dual set up uses pressurized shocks so that they are pushing against each other which allows for smooth low resistance at normal steering speeds. A pressurized shock will default to its extended length if not under load but still dampen in both directions when suddenly loaded. If jolted by a big bump then both shocks resist the jolt. So if you are turning the steering wheel normally then it doesn’t create extra stress on the steering components but if you hit a big bump then you get twice the dampening.
A bad set up uses 2 dampening shocks. A dampening shock provides a good bit of resistance in either direction as you extend or compress it pretty consistently no matter how hard or soft you push or pull on it. These types of shocks will not default to the fully open position. When you double down these shocks on a steering set up you put more pressure on steering components like a steering box and the bearings inside of it.
I am not a fan of dual stabilizers for a number of reasons. I think they look cool but they typically do more harm than good.
Let me also say I am just not a fan of rough country. They don’t seem to do a lot of research on their designs, I have seen a bunch of their welds fail and a bunch of their components fail (including stabilizers). Their failure rates seemed to be higher than any other brand on the market.

OP
OP
JP1

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
HUGE thank you!
These type of explanations help EVERYONE!

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
HUGE thank you!
These type of explanations help EVERYONE!
So im assuming RC uses dempening shocks for the stabilizer? Off topic but can you recommend best shocks for the money? I was looking at the RC n3 shocks but I'm not so sure I wanna keep getting rc stuff after all negetive reviews I've been hearing.

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
Something else felt better but I couldn't realize what until this morning. The gas pedal no longer vibrates even when my music's blasting.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JP1

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
So im assuming RC uses dempening shocks for the stabilizer? Off topic but can you recommend best shocks for the money? I was looking at the RC n3 shocks but I'm not so sure I wanna keep getting rc stuff after all negetive reviews I've been hearing.
I'm not the guy to ask this.
@jruss ? can you help?

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
I'm not the guy to ask this.
@jruss ? can you help?
I have been very happy with bilstien, Fox, even teraflex 9550’s.
Hopefully I wasn’t overly verbose in my previous explanation of steering stabilizers and I probably did not use some of the technically correct terminology but those are all of my experiences. After building, working on, repairing, restoring hundreds of jeeps I have found that there are a lot of misunderstandings about jeeps that were just from the sharing of well intended but ultimately incorrect or incomplete information.
That resulted in me having to share bad news with customers about the cost to properly repair their vehicles because of the unforeseen consequences of well intended upgrades that cause damage to other parts of the vehicle.
The jl is still a very young platform so there is still a lot of r&d and real world testing needed to start not only figuring out a lot of the design shortcomings but to also come up with good solutions. That said, there are a lot of things that don’t work on any platform well and they haven’t worked well for years. So definitely do your due diligence and try some stuff out and report back on what you find.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
My Rubicon drove just fine off the lot. 6k miles later and still on the stock stabilizer. Why waste your money on something that is likely to not be a problem? Even then a single adjustable stabilizer would be a much better investment if the money is just burning a hole in your pocket.

Me personally I will never have another rough country shock of any kind on my jeeps. I had some several years ago and they were complete trash. They make some ok stuff but their shocks sucked hard in my experience. They're cheap for a reason.

I was much happier with the bilstein, fox rock krawler shocks I've ran. No complaints from either of those brands.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Steering stabilizers are not a fix for anything. If you have wandering, wobbles or shakes, a stiffer stabilizer will only mask then issue. A proper steering set up should be able to track straight with no wandering wobbles or shakes, all without a stabilizer installed. It’s for drivers comfort only. A dual stabilizer set up is an even bigger mask. Save your money and fix whatever issue you have properly

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
Steering stabilizers are not a fix for anything. If you have wandering, wobbles or shakes, a stiffer stabilizer will only mask then issue. A proper steering set up should be able to track straight with no wandering wobbles or shakes, all without a stabilizer installed. It’s for drivers comfort only. A dual stabilizer set up is an even bigger mask. Save your money and fix whatever issue you have properly

Guys you say what you want about the stabilizers but just the cure in vibration on gas pedal was worth the cost. It feels great
Sponsored