Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Any chance you could post a video of the shimmy/wobble ?
I will try, it’s quick 3-4 oscillations of the wheel. The wheel moves from 11-1, every time it happens it always kicks to the Lt first.
Sponsored

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
Well the parts came in that I was waiting for, swapped them out and took it for a ride. No change. Still have the same wobble from the same bump. Don’t know where to go at this point, not really anything left to do or try. This thing has become way more of a problem than it has been a fun toy to play around in. I have spent way too much money on this thing and invested way to much time. That new Bronco is looking pretty good at this point. Now to decide if I put everything back to stock and sell off the parts or leave as is.
I don't blame you at this point to be honest. Is there anyway it could be a shock?

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did it with the Fox IFP 2.0’s and no change with the Fox 2.5 DSC’s.
Did you also put that other steering box on? Don't you still have the stock stabilizer? I swear I would try that again and see being you have switched out everything and reinforced that trackbar area.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Did you also put that other steering box on? Don't you still have the stock stabilizer? I swear I would try that again and see being you have switched out everything and reinforced that trackbar area.
I haven’t swapped the box yet, it’s sitting on the bench. The box that is in it is the newest cast Iron box, it has some dead space in it and that was the reason I was going to swap it, just to see if that part went away. I really don’t know if the box could have any effect on the wobble/shimmy.

Sponsored

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven’t swapped the box yet, it’s sitting on the bench. The box that is in it is the newest cast Iron box, it has some dead space in it and that was the reason I was going to swap it, just to see if that part went away. I really don’t know if the box could have any effect on the wobble/shimmy.
Everything you have done, I'd stick the box on, put the stock stabilizer on (if you still have it) and see what happens. If it's still there and if it were me, I'd see if someone here came up with a eureka idea. In the meantime, I would be planning on bringing it back to stock and sell off the parts. Id drive it stock and if I were cool with it like that, drive on. If not, I'd sell it and move to the next project. That's me. Building and working on stuff is fun, but this can't be any fun at all.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Everything you have done, I'd stick the box on, put the stock stabilizer on (if you still have it) and see what happens. If it's still there and if it were me, I'd see if someone here came up with a eureka idea. In the meantime, I would be planning on bringing it back to stock and sell off the parts. Id drive it stock and if I were cool with it like that, drive on. If not, I'd sell it and move to the next project. That's me. Building and working on stuff is fun, but this can't be any fun at all.
The fun has been long gone on this project.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Any chance you could post a video of the shimmy/wobble ?
@Roky this is about the best video I could get. I tried to take about 10 of them but it’s a little windy today and it’s hard to video,drive a sail boat, and hold your tongue in the right spot at the same time.

Attachments

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
@Roky this is about the best video I could get. I tried to take about 10 of them but it’s a little windy today and it’s hard to video,drive a sail boat, and hold your tongue in the right spot at the same time.
Looks about the same as what I’m talking about

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Looks about the same as what I’m talking about
It’s been worse than that, all depends on the day. That’s my go to bump, Drivers side dips into a hole and about 8-10” later passenger side hits it. I have actually measured the freaking dip! How sad is that!🤔

Sponsored

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I'm in a similar boat. I've got the Dynatrac ball joints on order as well as the Yeti Tie Rod to go along with the Yeti Drag Link.

I'm also planning to add hydro assist via Redneck Ram once I can afford to have the Jeep down for 2-3 weeks for them to port the steering box and send it back to me. The hydro assist *should* eliminate any remaining wobble troubles that the new tie rod and ball joints don't fix.

The frustrating thing for me is that I can't rotate my tires. I'm pretty wobble free on my current alignment and 4 tires where they are. If I try to rotate in the 5th, the wobbles get worse. It's in the plans to have that looked at as well, but they all balanced out just fine and the shop didn't inform me of any issues with them, but that doesn't mean they looked.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
It’s been worse than that, all depends on the day. That’s my go to bump, Drivers side dips into a hole and about 8-10” later passenger side hits it. I have actually measured the freaking dip! How sad is that!🤔
I hate to say it may be normal, but the quick right then left hit at a similar speed is how mine initiates on one strip of road all the time. May just hit at such a perfect timing that it throws the axel for a second, that if there was a real problem (aka death wobble) that it would continue not go away quickly. I could be wrong.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Lol.... yeah, no worries, it didn’t come through either after all that....:(. I’m really out of ideas, lol. Did it do this with your aluminum box? I’ve heard guys complain about it made the steering lighter. My best guess, as it was way back at the beginning of your journey, is that it has to do with steering gear and software, it sounds like your mechanically sound at this point. But like everything else, it’s just a hunch..

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I hate to say it may be normal, but the quick right then left hit at a similar speed is how mine initiates on one strip of road all the time. May just hit at such a perfect timing that it throws the axel for a second, that if there was a real problem (aka death wobble) that it would continue not go away quickly. I could be wrong.
I have put 14k on this thing since it was new, that bump is on a road I travel at a minimum 3-4 days a week. It didn’t do it with the aluminum box, it didn’t do it with the cast iron box, and I had the cast box on it for about 3 months, it all started after the lift.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I'm in a similar boat. I've got the Dynatrac ball joints on order as well as the Yeti Tie Rod to go along with the Yeti Drag Link.

I'm also planning to add hydro assist via Redneck Ram once I can afford to have the Jeep down for 2-3 weeks for them to port the steering box and send it back to me. The hydro assist *should* eliminate any remaining wobble troubles that the new tie rod and ball joints don't fix.

The frustrating thing for me is that I can't rotate my tires. I'm pretty wobble free on my current alignment and 4 tires where they are. If I try to rotate in the 5th, the wobbles get worse. It's in the plans to have that looked at as well, but they all balanced out just fine and the shop didn't inform me of any issues with them, but that doesn't mean they looked.
Yes, I thought it was a tire issue also. I went from AEV pintlers with BFG ko2’s to AEV Borah’s with Toyo AT3’s. No change
Sponsored