OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I'd cancel that and go D's maximum unless you are carrying a literal ton of extra weight.
Will that sacrifice wear on the tire?
Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I have 295/70r17 load range e and like the ride at 30 psi.

That being said I had 37x12.50r20 load range f on my 3500 and it was brutal. You have three things going against you: less sidewall, too high of psi and load range. My wife’s navigator has 22” wheels and Ford only has that option with continuously controlled dampers because the sidewall and xl load rating hurts the ride so much compared to the 20s.

I would try dropping the psi to 28 before doing anything else.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Will that sacrifice wear on the tire?
Higher load range tires usually (not always, the ply number on most tires is "ply rating") have more plies, those plies are under the treads. Load range should have little or nothing to do with tread wear, tread wear is all about the type of compound used. The higher load range tires do usually have better puncture resistance because of those extra plies (or extra ply rating). It's a game of finding what works for you and your Jeep/setup. Some people love their load range E's like @XJfanatic above, myself I can't stand my D rated tires above 30 PSI and I'm running very heavy, ride is very subjective only you will be able to decide what is right feeling for you. One thing is for sure, if you go with the E's they will most likely be a better ride than the F's, play with the pressure as recommended above.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
@JimLee agree ride is very much based on the individual. I for one hate squishy tires on the road, but others like that soft feel. Only you can decide what you like.

OP
OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well I just dropped the psi to 30. Going on a little run tomorrow and will see how I like it. May go lower if I feel the need. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Well I just dropped the psi to 30. Going on a little run tomorrow and will see how I like it. May go lower if I feel the need. Thanks for the help.
Keep going lol. Take them to 26. You will definitely feel a difference.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Higher load range tires usually (not always, the ply number on most tires is "ply rating") have more plies, those plies are under the treads. Load range should have little or nothing to do with tread wear, tread wear is all about the type of compound used. The higher load range tires do usually have better puncture resistance because of those extra plies (or extra ply rating). It's a game of finding what works for you and your Jeep/setup. Some people love their load range E's like @XJfanatic above, myself I can't stand my D rated tires above 30 PSI and I'm running very heavy, ride is very subjective only you will be able to decide what is right feeling for you. One thing is for sure, if you go with the E's they will most likely be a better ride than the F's, play with the pressure as recommended above.
This is way to technical for me haha. I use tire wear as gauge to when I need to trade it in LOL.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Currently running 305/65r18 (33.6") F Load range and sitting at 34psi
Have you tried 30 cold? Maybe even lower. I’m at 31 cold so far.

F load probably isn’t helping you and you’re at a lower profile than mine on my 18’s with 34.5” tires. Not all tires are predictable in a precise way but it being an F load, I’d have to wager that might be part of what you’re feeling.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Keep going lol. Take them to 26. You will definitely feel a difference.
^^^^ And I’d take a look at the tread contact too. It doesn’t need to be all the way across.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I'd cancel that and go D's maximum unless you are carrying a literal ton of extra weight.
He's not going to find anything less then E rated tire at 33" or taller with 275 or wider width.

Look at tire weight lighter tires will ride better. You will see 10lb difference between tires of same size at times. Do not get M/T tires.

Firestone destination X/T is one of the lightest. 275/70r18 comes in at 49lb, 33.2" diameter, probably 15lb lighter then your curent set. Yes they are narover, but will ride much better and shed you 60ish lb of rotational weight, significant improvement in acceleration.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
He's not going to find anything less then E rated tire at 33" or taller with 275 or wider width.

Look at tire weight lighter tires will ride better. You will see 10lb difference between tires of same size at times. Do not get M/T tires.

Firestone destination X/T is one of the lightest. 275/70r18 comes in at 49lb, 33.2" diameter, probably 15lb lighter then your curent set. Yes they are narover, but will ride much better and shed you 60ish lb of rotational weight, significant improvement in acceleration.
The ones I ended up purchasing are the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. I am running them currently in a 33”, but going to a 35”. Gaining height, but losing width and weight as well as going from an F rating to an E rating. The deal I got was too good to pass up. $120 per tire.

OP
OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So does anyone have experience doing from a Rough Country shock to something else? Trying to find something with a better feel. Looking at Teraflex, Rancho and Rubicon Express.

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
So does anyone have experience doing from a Rough Country shock to something else? Trying to find something with a better feel. Looking at Teraflex, Rancho and Rubicon Express.
Just need to confirm shock lengths to get another set. If you want a super smooth ride, we can set you up with some tuned Fox 2.0 remote reservoir shocks

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Trying to figure out the best way to get a smoother ride without sacrificing lift. I currently have a RC 2.5" lift with springs/shocks. If I replaced the shocks, will I get a smoother ride, or do I need to replace springs? I was looking at replacing the RC shocks with Teraflex shocks, so any help is greatly appreciated.
You want to go to a good double or triple rate spring and a shock with Dual Speed Adjustments for the best results FOX 2.5 DSC. No one can tell you what makes a good ride until you are satisfied with it and that combination along with a turn of a dial will allow you to have the ride you want on and off-road. This will also allow you to adjust for extreme conditions on the fly in 10 seconds or for a smoother freeway ride as well. It's expensive but it's the right move. Rock Crawler makes some of the best riding springs paired with Fox shocks.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
This is all subjective. What feels firm to one person may feel soft to another. If you want a smooth ride, get a Cherokee. If you want a badass, world-conquering, testosterone-powered man machine, get a monster truck. If you want something in between, get a wrangler! :LOL:
Sponsored