Sponsored

Springs vs. Shocks

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Trying to figure out the best way to get a smoother ride without sacrificing lift. I currently have a RC 2.5" lift with springs/shocks. If I replaced the shocks, will I get a smoother ride, or do I need to replace springs? I was looking at replacing the RC shocks with Teraflex shocks, so any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
We tune the shocks to go along with the proper spring rate and the shocks and their internal valving is going to provide that ride quality you are after. However, incorrect spring rates will also not help the issue. If you are searching for the best possible ride quality, we can certainly help, but if wont be a cheap fix. New tuned shocks paired with different springs would be our suggestion.

OP
OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We tune the shocks to go along with the proper spring rate and the shocks and their internal valving is going to provide that ride quality you are after. However, incorrect spring rates will also not help the issue. If you are searching for the best possible ride quality, we can certainly help, but if wont be a cheap fix. New tuned shocks paired with different springs would be our suggestion.
Not exactlysure what tuning shocks is, but it sounds expensive. I am just looking for a smoother ride than what I am currently experiencing. At highway speeds, every little bump in the road feels like a large speed bump with my current setup.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I have heard that springs set the ride height, and shocks set the ride feel. I would think a softer riding shock would indeed help your situation.

I do understand that the spring rate does have a factor in ride feel, but I believe the shock does more so.

With my Rancho lift and their adjustable 9000 shocks, I am able to change the firmness level from the soft setting (1) to the firm setting (9), and there is a defined difference.

OP
OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have heard that springs set the ride height, and shocks set the ride feel. I would think a softer riding shock would indeed help your situation.

I do understand that the spring rate does have a factor in ride feel, but I believe the shock does more so.

With my Rancho lift and their adjustable 9000 shocks, I am able to change the firmness level from the soft setting (1) to the firm setting (9), and there is a defined difference.
Good to know! So with that said, how does one know what a softer shock is vs a stiffer shock without going to an adjustable?

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Good to know! So with that said, how does one know what a softer shock is vs a stiffer shock without going to an adjustable?
I am sure others with more expertise on this will comment. I really do not have much experience with a plethora of shocks.

At least I was able to demonstrate with all things being equal, adjusting the Rancho 9000 shock's firmness level does make a difference in ride quality. So there is hope for you, I am sure.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
What size, load range and cold PSI are you running for tires? Don’t overlook this as part of rough/hard “feel”. These are areas that also can make a huge difference in ride quality if they are not match well to your overall vehicle “build”.

OP
OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What size, load range and cold PSI are you running for tires? Don’t overlook this as part of rough/hard “feel”. These are areas that also can make a huge difference in ride quality if they are not match well to your overall vehicle “build”.
Currently running 305/65r18 (33.6") F Load range and sitting at 34psi

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Non professional Easy way to tell if its springs or shocks, bolt back up the stock shocks, is it softer or the same, if it feels bouncy and softer its possible its shocks, if its still firm its possible its springs. My guess is springs and tire pressure and possibly the shocks. In my experience cheaper mono tube shocks are generally pretty soft, can usually compress them by hand. But im no expert, just my experience.

If youre looking for that stock ride feel, just use stock springs with spacers and stock shock extensions. Just my $.2. As you lift generally traditional coil springs get stiffer to handle additional accessories and higher lifts. Stock springs werent designed with all the mods in mind, so they are pretty soft. Control arm angles, springs, shocks, tires, it all plays a role into how its going to feel. So its hard to pinpoint what to do to make it softer, just try the cheapest or free ideas first. Lower tire pressure.

also just because a shock is adjustable doesnt mean it will be softer. And my soft vs your soft vs someone elses soft are very different.

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Currently running 305/65r18 (33.6") F Load range and sitting at 34psi
And therein lies the majority of your issues with ride. “F” rates tires at 34psi. Talk about stiff.

“F” load tires on any stock JL/R would make for a horrible feeling ride even with the softest spring and shocks.

OP
OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think just about any spring or shock is going to ride like a dump truck with those tires……
Well damn! No one told me that when I bought them! I did just order e rated tires.