Sport offroad capability

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 RAV4, 2015 BMW Diesel Sports Wagon
I'm new to Jeeps, and the discussions on Dana 35 vs Dana 44 and etc. are over my head for the moment. I want to buy a Wrangler that I can pretty much dedicate to back country use. The roughest driving I expect would be to destinations like the Maze Overlook in Canyonlands, which I reached OK in my '96 RAV4 when it was nearly new (although I didn't see anyone else there). Will a stock Sport do something like that, or does it just look like a real Jeep on the outside, and I need a Rubicon instead? The Rubicon seems like overkill for forest service roads, plus occasional mud, sand and slick rock, but, as I say, I'm new to Jeeps and would appreciate learning what the Sport was actually designed to handle. I don't want the Rubicon's features unless I will need them, and I won't be doing serious boulder climbing.
Sponsored

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
I wouldn't worry about the Sport, it should do just fine. The axle is the only guessing game but time will tell.

Rubiwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jkur
Go on YouTube and search stock jk off-road. You will be impressed.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
The Sport is labeled "Trail Ready" by Jeep, it should be fine for the light off roading stuff.

Correct me if I am worng but it should be 31 inch tires 4wd and a limited slip rear, with 285 hp and good torque that handles most stuff.

I guess I would consider the Rubicon more of a msut if I wanted bigger tires and wanted beefier axles to support it.

Sponsored

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I think the JL is really just Rubicon or nothing. If you look at the improvements of the Sport compared to the Rubi, you’d see that they basically downgraded the Sport and made the Rubicon the perfect Jeep.

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
Dana 44s are great for 35s if you pan on wheeling rough. Most people who offroad will be fine with the 35 if the most they are putting on their rig is a 33 inch tire. Its only when you put 35+ tires on a Dana 35 where you might face some axles strength issues

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Dana 44s are great for 35s if you pan on wheeling rough. Most people who offroad will be fine with the 35 if the most they are putting on their rig is a 33 inch tire. Its only when you put 35+ tires on a Dana 35 where you might face some axles strength issues
It only really becomes an issue with hard-core off roading. People put 33s and 35s on their TJs and YJs all the time with the Dana 30/35 combo all the time. Rocks/thick mud are where the bigger axels really become necessary with the larger tires.

ricku

Threads
Reaction score
I think the JL is really just Rubicon or nothing. If you look at the improvements of the Sport compared to the Rubi, you’d see that they basically downgraded the Sport and made the Rubicon the perfect Jeep.

And much more $$$ for the Rubi. Dear Jeep: Please allow me to option up a Sport
Sponsored