Moab capability

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
For me, Rubicon is the only JL which makes sense. It's simply the cheapest way how to get through Rubicon trail and similar trails - just with some minor modifications. For any other use, I think that 4Runner is a much better choice (mostly thanks to IFS) - more comfortable, better onroad, similar offroad capabilities.
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
For me, Rubicon is the only JL which makes sense. It's simply the cheapest way how to get through Rubicon trail and similar trails - just with some minor modifications. For any other use, I think that 4Runner is a much better choice (mostly thanks to IFS) - more comfortable, better onroad, similar offroad capabilities.
Wow... no words... :facepalm:

Sponsored

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
No.

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
No way bro... It's not a Jeep... For those who live it and love it... nope. Cool you got a Rubi! Awesome Rig!

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I priced out a MOAB for the heck of it and it came to $700 more than i paid for my Rubicon but didn't see the option for proximity key. Is it standard or not included at all in the MOAB?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I priced out a MOAB for the heck of it and it came to $700 more than i paid for my Rubicon but didn't see the option for proximity key. Is it standard or not included at all in the MOAB?
It's included.

Edit: Trust me, if you add all of the features/options of a Moab to a Rubicon the Rubicon will be more. I have ran the numbers several times.

TexRivers

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I have taken my Moab off road in BBNP. In my opinion it is very well suited for everything except extreme rock crawling.

It is my dd so I wanted the extra comfort and the 4H Auto for bad weather. I traded the mud tires for KO2s for a quieter ride.

I do not plan on a lift or larger tires. My off roading leans toward overlanding.

I am adding a winch and roof rack before a 4000 mile trip in June/July.

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder

I just love the “Ignore” feature.

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I got a highly optioned Sahara before the Moab was out. I would have paid extra for better tires (and did with Rubi wheels/tires right away) and the hood. Unfortunately the body colored top and leather seats would be a no go for me.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
You're talking about value, that's different from capability. You can option up a Sport to over $50k
But Your post I was replying to was about the money. Nobody here in their right mind would argue that a Rubicon is not the best for an offroad rig, but you specifically brought up a monetary comparison rather than the underlying mechanical differences.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Nobody here in their right mind would argue that a Rubicon is not the best for an offroad rig
If you're talking off-the-lot I would agree. However there are a lot of very nice Sport Wranglers with mods that would run circles around my (mostly stock) Rubicon any day of the week. There's really nothing special about the Rubicon that you can't replicate and/or improve upon with the right mods. I wasn't going to upgrade the suspension or axles so the Rubicon made sense to me. But if you're going to be upgrading then maybe not for someone else. So I guess I'm not in my right mind... and there are lots of folks who can testify to that fact! LOL

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
If you're talking off-the-lot I would agree. However there are a lot of very nice Sport Wranglers with mods that would run circles around my (mostly stock) Rubicon any day of the week. There's really nothing special about the Rubicon that you can't replicate and/or improve upon with the right mods. I wasn't going to upgrade the suspension or axles so the Rubicon made sense to me. But if you're going to be upgrading then maybe not for someone else. So I guess I'm not in my right mind... and there are lots of folks who can testify to that fact! LOL
lol, well yes, dump 20K in mods in any Wrangler and you've got a much better rig than what you started with. I could throw Dana 60s on my Sahara and blow through 10 grand easy, and that's without a lift and upgraded drivetrain ect... :giggle: Really depends on what you're doing with it though, but off the lot a Rubicon is the best offroader Jeep makes.

Going back to the monetary aspect of it you can certainly buy more expensive Jeeps that don't match the capability of a Rubicon off the lot. Sport S and Sahara can be made quite expensive, depending on the options selected and can far exceed the base Rubicon price.
Sponsored