Sponsored

Capability of a 2021 Sport S

Burntoutaccountant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S
So I bought my first wrangler over the weekend. I bought a 2021 Sport S. I'm already kicking myself because I didn't know there was a package with a LSD. I wanted to put a truetrac in the rear but apparently they don't make them for the current dana 35. My options are an ARB air locker or an Eaton elocker. I'm leaning towards the elocker.

What are the capabilities of the dana 30/dana 35 setup? To be honest the jeep won't see hardcore off roading. It is my DD and will be used to go up trails to get to hiking spots up here in the PNW. If I want to do any kind of modest roading I'll use my 1996 bronco. The plan is to get some rubicon wheels and tires from a takeoff and replace the sport S wheels and tires. So no 35s or 37s putting stress on the axles and transmission.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations!

I’d drive the Jeep as-is for a few months to figure out what it really needs. You will be surprised how capable a base Sport is with the standard BLD (Brake-Lock Diff). Especially on forest roads and such.

LSD is great for moderate trails and snow but, you are right, there’s no TrueTrac for JL yet.

Question: does your dealer offer some sort of 72-hour or 7-day “cooling off” period? Some dealers do by holding on to the registration papers for a few days.

If it does, you may want to approach them sooner rather than later about swapping it for a Wrangler with a LSD.

Good luck!

OP
OP

Burntoutaccountant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S
Congratulations!

I’d drive the Jeep as-is for a few months to figure out what it really needs. You will be surprised how capable a base Sport is with the standard BLD (Brake-Lock Diff). Especially on forest roads and such.

LSD is great for moderate trails and snow but, you are right, there’s no TrueTrac for JL yet.

Question: does your dealer offer some sort of 72-hour or 7-day “cooling off” period? Some dealers do by holding on to the registration papers for a few days.

If it does, you may want to approach them sooner rather than later about swapping it for a Wrangler with a LSD.

Good luck!
They do actually. It is 5 days. The thing is they don't have any Willy's wranglers in a color I want. They said they don't pull from other dealerships due to the market right now. I think they only have black and gray. I need some color in my life and I'm very particular. That's why I chose the hydro blue. I'd only take snazzberry (Spelling?) or one of the shades of green. I will never do black or gray again. Then my bronco is already stormtrooopered out. That's why I just planned on adding the true trac myself.

Would it be worth putting a locker in the rear or should I just do a full rubicon axle swap? The Dana 44 is definitely stronger.

Sponsored

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Would it be worth putting a locker in the rear or should I just do a full rubicon axle swap? The Dana 44 is definitely stronger.
You’ll be fine on your stock axles with Rubi takeoff wheels and tires. Would save money by installing a winch over a rear locker if you’re worried about getting stuck somewhere.

BJACK

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2021 JLUD
If you want 4:10 gears and e-lockers get a new set of Rubicon axles from mopar for $4500. After I priced out gears and lockers plus installation the cost was comparable.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
They do offer their Eaton E-Locker for both the front and rear D30/D35.

I find it interesting that the part number for the JK and JL D30 is the same for the E-Locker, but they don't list a Truetrac for the JL. If the part numbers are the same for the JK and JL for the E-Locker it makes me wonder why the Truetrac part numbers (or actual parts) would be different.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
They do actually. It is 5 days. The thing is they don't have any Willy's wranglers in a color I want. They said they don't pull from other dealerships due to the market right now. I think they only have black and gray. I need some color in my life and I'm very particular. That's why I chose the hydro blue. I'd only take snazzberry (Spelling?) or one of the shades of green. I will never do black or gray again. Then my bronco is already stormtrooopered out. That's why I just planned on adding the true trac myself.

So you know, Willys is not the only model available with LSD; Sport and Sahara also offer LSD as an option, and you automatically get upgraded to a rear D44 with the LSD.

Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
The Sport is more capable than you think. Especially with better tires. I did all this on the Duelers and it did it just fine.

85EE8C21-B823-43EB-A6E4-ED479C4442E0.jpeg

F8EEA6B9-5AE4-4094-AE63-52FC9869A129.jpeg
Wild guess...Badlands?

To the OP, I did one of the Jeep Adventure Academies back in October in my stock Sport S with the AT tires that came with it. I learned that it's way more capable as is than I ever thought. For what you described, I'm not sure you'd need to do anything. I too recommend you drive it a while before making any changes, unless you just want to.

Here's a post I did about that trip with a little video for reference.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...eeps-no-lifts-no-big-tires.82525/post-1728896

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So you know, Willys is not the only model available with LSD; Sport and Sahara also offer LSD as an option, and you automatically get upgraded to a rear D44 with the LSD.
PS - also, Sports and Saharas with the optional Selec-Trac transfer case automatically get upgraded to the rear LSD and D44.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Wild guess...Badlands?

To the OP, I did one of the Jeep Adventure Academies back in October in my stock Sport S with the AT tires that came with it. I learned that it's way more capable as is than I ever thought. For what you described, I'm not sure you'd need to do anything. I too recommend you drive it a while before making any changes, unless you just want to.

Here's a post I did about that trip with a little video for reference.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...eeps-no-lifts-no-big-tires.82525/post-1728896
Yup Badlands. Need to get back there with my Rubicon.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

id stick with the color you have/like vs worrying about the LSD. you can easily change the rear axle/diff out, the color not so much.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind the OP lives in Seattle, not in Southern California.
Sponsored