Sponsored

Spoiled By Jeep

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Why no confidence in the JL? Even stock these things are awesome, and you've got a Rubicon on top of all that.
What specifically has shaken your confidence?
A couple things. The JLs are buggy. Not all, but a decent amount. I'm sure this will be sorted out with time. Mine gets a harsh/deep idle often, it also has a weird rev/lurch thing it does semi often when slowing/stopping. Dealer says it is fine.

I think the major letdown for me is that the JK was awesome in the winter. I drove one on a frozen lake with no issues, drove through over two feet of snow in a blizzard etc. The few times I have taken the JL out in the snow or ice it just hasn't compared. I really enjoy winter driving and snow wheeling so this bums me out. Based on the on road winter performance, I don't have much confidence in it offroad in snow. Yesterday I had the opportunity to drive it through a huge open field with a foot and a half of snow. In the JK I would use this field whenever I had the opportunity, no thought about it. Yesterday I passed because I figured the JL would get stuck.

As for the winter performance, I'm not certain if it is all JLs or just some. I see people that state their JL is great in snow, and watched Kevin/Brittany videos where theirs does well. My experience is mine does poorly and have read a lot of posts with people having the same experience.
Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
it just hasn't compared
Quantitatively, hasn't compared in what way? The JK and JL are not all that different of vehicles, they can't be dramatically different in the same terrain. The only real difference should be tire selection and maybe some traction control tuning. Otherwise, similar weight, wheelbase, drivetrain, etc.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Anytime I have to drive the Wife's Chevy 1500, is a time I wish I was in the Jeep.

I've had a CJ, XJ, JK and now the JLUR -- hands down the best of all of them without a doubt. More than anything TIRES and differentials make the difference. So I wonder what the difference was with the person that had better luck in the JK than the JL?

Anyway, I'd call anyone who drives and is able to critique and brand new vehicle ... um at the very least, fortunate.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The other day I was driving my work vehicle, a PoS F-350 flatbed and came to a red light with the right rear wheel on a small patch of ice. Almost couldn’t get it going again, a problem I have never had in my Jeeps.

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
@Carlton So I'm very curious about what specifically was different with your JK than the JL that made it better in the snow? The only JK I've driven was on a test drive in SoCal so I didn't get any snow driving with those. I'm very impressed with how mine drive in the winter weather.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Quantitatively, hasn't compared in what way? The JK and JL are not all that different of vehicles, they can't be dramatically different in the same terrain. The only real difference should be tire selection and maybe some traction control tuning. Otherwise, similar weight, wheelbase, drivetrain, etc.
@Carlton So I'm very curious about what specifically was different with your JK than the JL that made it better in the snow? The only JK I've driven was on a test drive in SoCal so I didn't get any snow driving with those. I'm very impressed with how mine drive in the winter weather.
The JK was sure footed in the snow, maintained traction, rarely had wheel spin, etc.

The JL fails to maintain traction, has significant wheel spin, and tends to loose footing/move around in the lane a lot.

I've driven both with the traction control on and off. Still a similar result.

I've driven the JL in snow with both the stock BFG KO2 and the Milestar Patagonia. It seems slightly better with the Milestar tire.

The 2018 JK also had Milestar Patagonia for a fair tire comparison.

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The JL fails to maintain traction, has significant wheel spin, and tends to loose footing/move around in the lane a lot.
Just how heavy is your foot? Even with my narrower Goodyear Wrangler tires I didn't lose traction in 8 inches of snow.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
The JK was sure footed in the snow, maintained traction, rarely had wheel spin, etc.

I've driven both with the traction control on and off. Still a similar result.

I've driven the JL in snow with both the stock BFG KO2 and the Milestar Patagonia. It seems slightly better with the Milestar tire.

The 2018 JK also had Milestar Patagonia for a fair tire comparison.
So, any theory as to why this is the case? Maybe more torque on tap/different throttle curve than you're used to thanks to the 8spd transmission? I can't think of any tangible reason as to why it would feel worse.

Same exact size Milestar between the JL vs JK?

Also, where I live at least, the snow can vary from very dry powder that is super slick, to heavy wet snow that has a surprising amount of traction.

Edit: Was the JK also a Rubicon? If not the final drive gearing is different which will affect wheel torque.
Sponsored