First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
So I finally got my window sticker [hurray!], and noticed something interesting. Apparently only 83% of my Jeep is accounted for (62% US/Canada, 21% Mexico)? Anybody know where the other 17% is sourced from?

Also, never new @JlEngineline was in Mexico. Always assumed he was in Toledo, interesting stuff...

Screenshot_20181110-113238.jpg
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
China

Wonder if any if the 62% are actually also produced in china but sold through U.S. suppliers qualifying as U.S. sourced.

@JlEngineline is listed as Toledo on profile. Maybe not all 3.6 production has been moved to Mexico.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Ross, as I strongly suspect, you and others realize that even those aspects of vehicles produced in the States represent manufacturers putting their feet up to the legal lines of what legally constitutes made in the U.S., which is less than "Ivory Soap pure."

Things as simple as keeping the assembly plants warm may have come from out of country energy sources, subassemblies of parts may have been produced abroad, etc.

I'm not passing judgement on these facts so much as I'm saying, and I think you may be too in what I glean (perhaps incorrectly) is your somewhat investigatory tone, that even the quoted numbers, while passing legal muster, may not be as high for any manufacturer, not just FCA, as reported, as compared to pure truth.

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
So I finally got my window sticker [hurray!], and noticed something interesting. Apparently only 83% of my Jeep is accounted for (62% US/Canada, 21% Mexico)? Anybody know where the other 17% is sourced from?

Also, never new @JlEngineline was in Mexico. Always assumed he was in Toledo, interesting stuff...

Screenshot_20181110-113238.jpg
Like I said in many posts, we don't build engines.
But we do have an engine line. You probably didn't know that when the engines that are made in Mexico (3.6) are shipped to the Toledo plant are just the engine block? Who do you think bolts on the starter, AC, pulleys, shifter cables, engine mounts,transmission,TOC lines ( transmission oil cooler), dip stick,wiring harness, catalytic converter and a few other parts. Did you really think that I was making this up? Also the 2.0 Engine blocks are made in Italy and now are also being made in our Trenton engine. So to answer your question, no I'm not from Mexico :flag:

Sponsored

OP
OP
BlackRook

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Like I said in many posts, we don't build engines.
But we do have an engine line. You probably didn't know that when the engines that are made in Mexico (3.6) are shipped to the Toledo plant are just the engine block? Who do you think bolts on the starter, AC, pulleys, shifter cables, engine mounts,transmission,TOC lines ( transmission oil cooler), dip stick,wiring harness, catalytic converter and a few other parts. Did you really think that I was making this up? Also the 2.0 Engine blocks are made in Italy and now are also being made in our Trenton engine. So to answer your question, no I'm not from Mexico :flag:
Haha, no, I didn't think you were making it up! I just didn't know the process! Very interesting, actually (though it's probably just another day in the office for you). Probably comforting to a lot of guys to know that the parts that really matter -- assembly of key components -- are done in the USA. Thanks for the correction!

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
The 17% comes from places like china, Venezuela, Brazil and a few other places

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The Cherokee is the "most American" vehicle sold in the U.S. I believe, and the Wrangler is close to the top. So I still feel pretty good about the Jeep brand overall.
Sponsored