Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’m literally doing the exact same set up but I’m just going with the 10” RF powered sub.
Decided on a changing out the smaller speakers in the dash and sound bar with the kickers and a 10” JL micro sub/amp combo that comes with the LOC basically built in because of the DCD technology. Small footprint, easily removable (2-plugs), and sounds great, kids are loving it. I’m very happy for only spending $600 installed. I did run the ground and power by myself and installed the speakers but paid for the wiring from the subwoofer (wired into the speaker wires) because that’s past how much effort I’d like to put in.

D5F8A5CD-795A-4763-AAD0-642045CC1E1F.jpeg

040A40A7-1B9C-42DA-B622-6F862317724A.jpeg

3FF75103-0889-4151-AEED-57FF866455BB.jpeg

7D6A6532-A6E6-4387-9388-BEF02F69EBF0.jpeg

293D2D2B-75BB-41E7-B44E-7168A71E7FA7.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, I’m definitely interested in this thread, thanks for the posts everyone.

I have found that the only option I slightly regret not getting is the Alpine system. I heard it in my buddy’s JLUR yesterday and wow- it’s great! More than I would need though. So on the jeep scale of sound systems I’ve really paid attention to, on a scale of 0 to 100, they stack up like this:

2/100- My old YJ. Only two speakers “worked” and they were paper and falling apart. You could only hear them if you tried really hard. 1 point granted for each speaker that made some kind of sound. I never used them.

40/100- My old TJ’s base system. Worked fine enough for me. Didn’t care.

50/100- My JLR’s base system. Works fine except on the highway. This is only a problem for me now because I finally, unfortunately, have a commute.

100/100- the Alpine system. Way more than I’d ever need; it’s the gold standard.

So given that:
A. I’m not an audiophile, at least not when in my jeep, and
B. I don’t care one bit about bass, and
C. The Alpine system would be wasted on me, and
D. I just need a little more volume for doors-on and top-on driving at 70-75 mph and doors-off driving at 60-65 mph,
would the OP’s solution be a good one? Or any others in this thread?

I think on my 0-100 scale, I’m shooting for like 60-65 points.

Thanks!

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Update: I got the fosgate p300-12 sub installed and it is awesome! For $250 you can't beat this. It's not going to win competitions but it's all the bass I need and then some. I also pulled the speakers out and stuffed the dash and soundbar with polyfil and it cleaned the sound up a lot. For $350 all in, I'm completely content with my stereo now!

IMG_20190716_135817300.jpg
I have this subwoofer, transferred it from my CR-V that I traded in to my 2020 Jeep Wrangler 2dr.

Left all wiring behind, so still wrangling all that's needed to have it wired this weekend.

PS, nothing beats a *sealed* powered subwoofer...easy to disconnect, and *real* low end...tight, realistic punch, without exagurated boom that ported subs give you (nothing against ported subs, my ears don't like them).

I've always put the sub on the left side of the vehicle facing the right side of the vehicle...curious why you have it in the middle?

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I just installed 4 of the kicker 77kick25ab speakers. Took about 10 minutes and they sound awesome. Great return for a simple $100 investment. Because they give a lot more clear sound, I notice little bits of distortion more where the cheap ones would have kind of hidden it through a lack of sound quality. But after playing with the equalizer settings for a couple days I’m finding the sweet spot and they are great. Way better quality and slightly more volume. I also got a Rockford fosgate P300-12 powered sub (has built in amplifier and is easily removable) that I’m installing this week. For 4 speakers and the subwoofer setup I’ll have about $350 invested for a system that will suit my needs. I May upgrade the remaining speakers and get them all amplified later but for now I’m happy. :like:

Just ordered 4 from BAM -- hard to beat $100 for 4 speakers if they're better!

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I have this subwoofer, transferred it from my CR-V that I traded in to my 2020 Jeep Wrangler 2dr.

Left all wiring behind, so still wrangling all that's needed to have it wired this weekend.

PS, nothing beats a *sealed* powered subwoofer...easy to disconnect, and *real* low end...tight, realistic punch, without exagurated boom that ported subs give you (nothing against ported subs, my ears don't like them).

I've always put the sub on the left side of the vehicle facing the right side of the vehicle...curious why you have it in the middle?
How do you hookup those powered subs if you still have factory radio?

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
Okay, I’m definitely interested in this thread, thanks for the posts everyone.

I have found that the only option I slightly regret not getting is the Alpine system. I heard it in my buddy’s JLUR yesterday and wow- it’s great! More than I would need though. So on the jeep scale of sound systems I’ve really paid attention to, on a scale of 0 to 100, they stack up like this:

2/100- My old YJ. Only two speakers “worked” and they were paper and falling apart. You could only hear them if you tried really hard. 1 point granted for each speaker that made some kind of sound. I never used them.

40/100- My old TJ’s base system. Worked fine enough for me. Didn’t care.

50/100- My JLR’s base system. Works fine except on the highway. This is only a problem for me now because I finally, unfortunately, have a commute.

100/100- the Alpine system. Way more than I’d ever need; it’s the gold standard.

So given that:
A. I’m not an audiophile, at least not when in my jeep, and
B. I don’t care one bit about bass, and
C. The Alpine system would be wasted on me, and
D. I just need a little more volume for doors-on and top-on driving at 70-75 mph and doors-off driving at 60-65 mph,
would the OP’s solution be a good one? Or any others in this thread?

I think on my 0-100 scale, I’m shooting for like 60-65 points.

Thanks!
total agreement....I love my premium alpine,

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler 4-Door Sahara (JL)
i just completed the same process. I did not do the knee speakers yet but the other 6 made a huge difference.
Here are the 3.5" speakers I went with-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1
And here are the 4" speakers I went with-
https://smile.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A1072R-4-Inch-150-Watt-Speakers/dp/B000LYABHW/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Jeep|42&Model=Wrangler|356&Year=2018|2018&ie=UTF8&n=1077068&s=car&vehicleId=5&vehicleType=automotive
And lets not forget the wiring harnesses, you will want 4 of these-
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BET5Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And 2 of these unless doing the knee speakers then you will want 4-
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007WTEVM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And to make sure they are seated/sealed well you will want this as well-
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZPLPM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sounds much better than stock and was really an easy upgrade.
Good luck to you.
Jeep lists the sizes as 4.5-inch for the sound bar and dash knee area. These Pioneers you mentioned are 4’’. Was there any needed modification or parts? Plug in play?

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Crutchfield does have some direct replacement speakers.
The stock 4.5" speaker uses a non standard 3 screw mounting pattern. Replacement 4.5" speakers have a 4 screw mounting pattern and will require you to drill new holes and tweak their mounting tabs to fit properly. Crutchfield will show 4.5" speakers as modified fit.

Tweedman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL sport
I just installed 4 of the kicker 77kick25ab speakers. Took about 10 minutes and they sound awesome. Great return for a simple $100 investment. Because they give a lot more clear sound, I notice little bits of distortion more where the cheap ones would have kind of hidden it through a lack of sound quality. But after playing with the equalizer settings for a couple days I’m finding the sweet spot and they are great. Way better quality and slightly more volume. I also got a Rockford fosgate P300-12 powered sub (has built in amplifier and is easily removable) that I’m installing this week. For 4 speakers and the subwoofer setup I’ll have about $350 invested for a system that will suit my needs. I May upgrade the remaining speakers and get them all amplified later but for now I’m happy. :like:
Hello...did this speaker swap out require the use of resistors??

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I put these bass blocker filter caps in line with the Kickers. It prevents the lower frequencies (that they can't reproduce anyway) from creating distortion and potentially damaging the speakers. The stock speakers have small caps on them for that reason. They can be soldered into the connector on the Kicker speakers where they just have a jumper wire (where the stock speakers have the cap).

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase