Sponsored

Speaker replacement upgrade

pcpopcorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Firecracker Red
Ordered speaker upgrade parts yesterday for my 2019 2 door with factory Alpine stereo.

-Metra JP-1014 Speaker pods for front dash
-SSV Works JJT-SA065 speaker adaptor for sound bar
-PAC AmpPro AP4-CH41 R.2
-Alpine R-S65C.2 for front (I'll mount the tweeters in the original upper dash speaker location)
-Alpine R-S65C.2 for sound bar
-Alpine R-A60F Amplifier

Looking forward to installing the project in the next few weeks.
Are you leaving the stock Sub in place?
Will you add power to it?
I am looking to do the identical set up but maybe more power and not sure what to do about the sub enclosure
Sponsored

debandi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Jeep Rubicon

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Honestly. I’m 23. Never worked on a Jeep. Only Honda’s. This is easier to pull apart and do. I do recommend a open end 7mm wrench. There’s 4 philips style bolts that where a pain in the ass to get out simply because there in a tight spot. There’s one on each side panel/ bottom of dash and one right next to the obd2 port. Same for passenger side. Would be the only way I found to remove those 3-4 bolts. Other then that a 8mm socket short. 10mm socket short. 13mm socket with about a 6 inch extension. 2 pry tools and about an hour of time and enough space to open both doors. Make sure you polyfill the enclosure as it does make a slight difference. Other then that it sounds great. With an amp even better. Think you’ll be happy. It’s really easy to do just time consuming. It’s not hard at all it took me 2 hours to do cause it was raining and I had to keep stopping untill it slowed. If not I’d give it an hour max. And once you have the speakers in you can always just run an amp to it easily after the wires extend pretty far out
I just couldn’t be happier with the night and day difference. Finally added the Metra JP-1014 6.5” pods and Focal RCX-165 6.5” speakers in the dash knees. I agree it was a bunch of work disassembling the dash, but so worth it. I also added Hushmat & polyfill inside the Pods. It sounds so much better. Think I will hold off on the PAC preamp and Amp upgrades for now. Might swap the 8” sub for a 10” next and see where it goes.

Thanks again for the motivation Kidcia. And the 7mm wrench suggestion was a big help on a couple of those tight spot screws you mentioned.
Jeep Wrangler JL Speaker replacement upgrade 8172AF35-97C1-44FF-AFD7-C2849BEA75B0

Jeep Wrangler JL Speaker replacement upgrade E3BEDA5E-E5A4-476B-883F-0ED9689507C0

Jeep Wrangler JL Speaker replacement upgrade D70DF5C7-8FA5-485E-A64E-003EFFBA7039

Jeep Wrangler JL Speaker replacement upgrade B7E2486B-54A1-49B4-BBDD-799DDB892FAF

Last edited:

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR & 2013 BMW M5 (former)
Few questions on the PAC AP4-CH41. (8.4" alpine, will connect RCA from device to Amp)

Warning chimes (backup sensors, blind spot, forward collision warning, etc...)
-might have read somewhere that the actual chime sound is different than OEM? is this true? due to EQ adjustments? how different is it?

Bluetooth phone
-does the phone sound come out of both front speakers? or just Front / Left?

Hiss / static noise - how many people are getting this? How fixed? change ground location? wire routing? Amp Gain?

Trade Offs
-any other trade offs / issues / features lost /

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I just couldn’t be happier with the night and day difference. Finally added the Metra JP-1014 6.5” pods and Focal RCX-165 6.5” speakers in the dash knees. I agree it was a bunch of work disassembling the dash, but so worth it. I also added Hushmat & polyfill inside the Pods. It sounds so much better. Think I will hold off on the PAC preamp and Amp upgrades for now. Might swap the 8” sub for a 10” next and see where it goes.

Thanks again for the motivation Kidcia. And the 7mm wrench suggestion was a big help on a couple of those tight spot screws you mentioned.
Jeep Wrangler JL Speaker replacement upgrade B7E2486B-54A1-49B4-BBDD-799DDB892FAF

A couple of questions.... So you did just a basic speaker swap with the new pods without amps or anything? I'm sure the sound quality is much better but is it louder? What is the Ohm rating on those speakers? Did you do anything to the upper dash speakers? Last but not least... Nice towel seat covers... I have the same ones.

Sponsored

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
A couple of questions.... So you did just a basic speaker swap with the new pods without amps or anything? I'm sure the sound quality is much better but is it louder? What is the Ohm rating on those speakers? Did you do anything to the upper dash speakers? Last but not least... Nice towel seat covers... I have the same ones.
Yes, basic speaker swap with the new 6.5” pods. Added Focal 6.5” RCX-165 4 ohm speakers. Only amp is the 8.4 Alpine Premium stock one, no aftermarket amp. Yes, somewhat louder IMO and certainly more clear with some base thump too, just because of the sheer size difference I assume. I heard sounds upfront today that I could not hear before with the OEM 4” stock speaker.

Yes, dash swap was 3.5” Infinity about 6 months ago. I’ve read they are too bright for some, but for me they sound great with the highs.

In addition, JL Audio C2 350x 3.5” swap in the soundbar and happy with those too. I‘ve tried 4” Morels (would not fit, magnet to large) and Kickers (no improvement over stock) in the other 4” soundbar location, but the stock ones remain for now. At some point may go to the 6..5” conversion SSV soundbar mod. I’m looking at the Kicker HS10 (another $350) subwoofer now and deciding if I want to try that next or just be happy with the improvements already made. Pretty much, when is the sound good enough and stop spending money on it? Right now, it’s not too bad.

Lastly, the towels were well worth the money on those fire hot black seats in the summertime. Saving the the seats from sweat too.

Last edited:

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, basic speaker swap with the new 6.5” pods. Only amp is the 8.4 Alpine Premium stock one, no aftermarket amp. Yes, somewhat louder IMO and certainly more clear with some base thump too, just because of the sheer size difference I assume. I heard sounds upfront today that I could not hear before with the OEM 4” stock speaker.

Yes, dash swap was 3.5” Infinity about 6 months ago. I’ve read they are too bright for some, but for me they sound great with the highs.

In addition, JL Audio C2 350x 3.5” swap in the soundbar and happy with those too. I‘ve tried 4” Morels (would not fit, magnet to large) and Kickers (no improvement over stock) in the other 4” soundbar location, but the stock ones remain for now. At some point may go to the 6..5” conversion SSV soundbar mod. I’m looking at the Kicker HS10 (another $350) subwoofer now and deciding if I want to try that next or just be happy with the improvements already made. Pretty much, when is the sound good enough and stop spending money on it? Right now, it’s not too bad.

Lastly, the towels were well worth the money on those fire hot black seats in the summertime. Saving the the seats from sweat too.
Very cool. I also have the 8.4 Alpine premium. I was thinking about just replacing all the speakers with larger ones, I just haven't decided what speakers to go with. I haven't decided what to do about subwoofers yet. I'll probably just use a LOC to add an amp and sub. And yes those towels are a must with leather seats in the summer.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl

Nice! Anytime glad to help! Those vocals look well worth the money I wanted them cause. I see them a lot. But I’m more then happy and considering the infinity’s for my soundbar as I grow impatient waiting on American soundbar to release there version for the jl. Right now I have 2 alpines from a jl. Sounds good but I think my infinity’s were better.

Reactions: RSK

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Very cool. I also have the 8.4 Alpine premium. I was thinking about just replacing all the speakers with larger ones, I just haven't decided what speakers to go with. I haven't decided what to do about subwoofers yet. I'll probably just use a LOC to add an amp and sub. And yes those towels are a must with leather seats in the summer.
Get a 12 if you can afford the space or 2 10s. I’ve read into a lot of people buying a single 10 me included and just not having it be satisfying enough once it’s all replaced. If your going to go that far make it worth while! I get bass from my knee panels that’s pretty good aswell. My tops are 3.5 pioneer bullets and I have a insane audio head still needing to be properly tuned (any music pros would love your help.) but at 20 these and a l7 has to be the best system I’ve ever had in 5 cars! Chest vibrating bass! So much I’ve gotten complaints from my neighbors and only cared for one of them cause of there baby. Other then that the other neighbors would be in for it once I get thAt soundbar! 4 8’s and 2 more bullet tweeters! IMO have and not need Then need and not have so you get it done the first time!

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Take a look at JBL GX628 as well. Slightly lower sensitivity 92db, but at 2.3 ohm, so it requires much less amplifier to make it work. Plus the frequency response has a slightly broader range.
Yeah those look pretty nice too.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Yeah those look pretty nice too.
I'm running the 328 in my dash, and they pair with the stock amplifier quite well. They are a little bright when compared the the stock highs, but the stock highs don't even have a tweeter, and these have an exceptional one. I won't be using these only because I believe that it's a waste with the stock amplifier crossover set up the way it is. I will be looking for a nice Mid, but no need for a 2-way.

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Has anybody ran the DS18 stuff? I'm thinking about getting the JL loaded soundbar and JBASS combos. I got a promo code for 15% off and I can finance everything for 12 months no interest.
I'll still upgrade the front speakers in the dash and the kick panel with the Metra JP 1014. Just curious if anybody has used the DS18 stuff or if it's complete junk?

Jeep sound system combo.PNG
Sponsored