Speaker replacement upgrade

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
thought i would share my speaker combo to you all... still work in progress.
IMG_2595.JPG
Whoa... Where did get the dash speaker pillar housing? I’ve been wanting to do something like that for a while now, but couldn’t find anything that fits the JL/JT. Please share the site if available.
Sponsored

Last edited:

toneloc2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler sahara jl
Vehicle Showcase
Whoa... Where did get the dash speaker pillar housing? I’ve been wanting to do something like that for a while now, but couldn’t find anything that fits the JL/JT. Please share the site if available.
They are my factory pillars. I cut the handles off and formed them. The mounting hole at the top will have a plug there to cover. Once textured and painted you won’t see it.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They are my factory pillars. I cut the handles off and formed them. The mounting hole at the top will have a plug there to cover. Once textured and painted you won’t see it.
That’s awesome. I saw your door spker mod too, very nice work.

Jayway

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
anyone in the DFW area know respectable audio shops/installers? don't really want to go to new image

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
I'm about to upgrade my JLUR Alpine system and this is my first time doing an after market system in a vehicle. Can anyone answer the following questions for me so I can confirm how things work within the Jeep vs. someone at a shop steering me in the wrong direction.

I'm going to keep the factory head unit and use the AP4-CH41 (R.2) interface to add aftermarket DSP, AMPS, and Speakers.

1) Do I need to use the ANC-CH01 module in my setup? And what exactly do I lose or gain by removing active noise cancellation?

2) How is navigation audio / Bluetooh phones calls handled after upgrade?
i.e. Will I see a major volume difference in nav directions vs music or it coming out of all speakers vs. one side? Will Call volume have to be adjusted each time answered because music volume may be too loud, etc.

Basically, I'm trying to understand the nuances, quirks, and caveats that may be noticed by upgrading and how things act differently for the good or the bad to make sure I'm making the right decision on dumping some coin here. Thanks for the help!

Sponsored

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Has anybody ran the DS18 stuff? I'm thinking about getting the JL loaded soundbar and JBASS combos. I got a promo code for 15% off and I can finance everything for 12 months no interest.
I'll still upgrade the front speakers in the dash and the kick panel with the Metra JP 1014. Just curious if anybody has used the DS18 stuff or if it's complete junk?

Jeep sound system combo.PNG
Go for it! I’m doing the American soundbar once released. If your looking for clarity it’s more then enough and if your looking for loud they will be exactly that. I personally wouldn’t spend 1500. That’s why I’m waiting on American soundbar cause they supposedly will only want 4-500 for there empty soundbar and usually 2 free tweeters. My buddy’s jk sounds amazingly clear and stupid after volume 10 of 30. If your truely unsure you can go on Instagram and look up @velozaudio and a few people on his page swear by ds18.

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Anyone find a match for the 4.5" speakers? I replaced the 3.5" with kickers, but I can't find anything similar that matches the 3 screw design.

I know I can swap out the knee enclosers and put in 6" speakers, but what about the soundbar?

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Anyone find a match for the 4.5" speakers? I replaced the 3.5" with kickers, but I can't find anything similar that matches the 3 screw design.

I know I can swap out the knee enclosers and put in 6" speakers, but what about the soundbar?
The SSV Works 6.5” spker adapter can solve the 3” / 4” problem.

JeepKindaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CURRENT: 2019 JLU - SOLD: 2015 JKU
Yes, basic speaker swap with the new 6.5” pods. Added Focal 6.5” RCX-165 4 ohm speakers. Only amp is the 8.4 Alpine Premium stock one, no aftermarket amp. Yes, somewhat louder IMO and certainly more clear with some base thump too, just because of the sheer size difference I assume. I heard sounds upfront today that I could not hear before with the OEM 4” stock speaker.

Yes, dash swap was 3.5” Infinity about 6 months ago. I’ve read they are too bright for some, but for me they sound great with the highs.

In addition, JL Audio C2 350x 3.5” swap in the soundbar and happy with those too. I‘ve tried 4” Morels (would not fit, magnet to large) and Kickers (no improvement over stock) in the other 4” soundbar location, but the stock ones remain for now. At some point may go to the 6..5” conversion SSV soundbar mod. I’m looking at the Kicker HS10 (another $350) subwoofer now and deciding if I want to try that next or just be happy with the improvements already made. Pretty much, when is the sound good enough and stop spending money on it? Right now, it’s not too bad.

Lastly, the towels were well worth the money on those fire hot black seats in the summertime. Saving the the seats from sweat too.
So I am assuming that your Apline stock amp powers the 6.5's, or can one use the stock Non-Alpine Jeep radios and have the 6.5"s work? My old JKU I just dropped 6.5" kickers in the knees and bar and they worked perfectly as well as unplugging the 4 tweeters to prevent to much highs.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So I am assuming that your Apline stock amp powers the 6.5's, or can one use the stock Non-Alpine Jeep radios and have the 6.5"s work? My old JKU I just dropped 6.5" kickers in the knees and bar and they worked perfectly as well as unplugging the 4 tweeters to prevent to much highs.
Yes, using just the Alpline stock amp to power the 6.5’s in the knees and everything else. Not sure on the non-Apline question, maybe someone else can chime in.

Just ordered Focal PS 165F 6.5’s from Crutchfield for the soundbar along with the SSVworks 6.5 adapter (currently on backorder). Plan to sound deaden and polyfil as well.

My current setup actually sounds pretty darn good with no aftermarket amp (only 8.4 premium and the stock amp) with the top&door off. I can’t imagine it could possibly sound any worse with 6.5” Focal’s by upgrading. I almost decided not to keep going because it really sounds good now, but my malcontent ways of never being satisfied took me over the edge and I ordered. I figured if it doesn’t sound better for some reason, I’ll eventually put in an aftermarket amp to drive the better speakers. Once this mod is done, that’s 8 of 9 speakers changed out minus the untouched sub. Fingers crossed I don’t cut up my soundbar, spend $600 and not as happy in the end. I’ll update when everything is done on the soundbar. Not sure when the back ordered SSV’s will ship.

Sponsored

Liberty0rDeath

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Fingers crossed I don’t cut up my soundbar, spend $600 and not as happy in the end. I’ll update when everything is done on the soundbar. Not sure when the back ordered SSV’s will ship.
[/QUOTE]
You will enjoy the soundbar upgrade. While not as noticeable right off the bat like the front speaker upgrade, I do notice the difference driving around with the top off. I was skeptical cutting my soundbar up at first also, but am happy I took the chance after it was all said and done. Use an electric hot knife!
Jeep Wrangler JL Speaker replacement upgrade CB3F5A44-6C58-432B-89FC-E04407C7AFD3

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
"Use an electric hot knife!”

Looks great, hot knife is my plan too.

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
Been watching these threads and have some new speakers coming tomorrow. I have a JLU (Moab) with 8.4 Alpine and want additional clarity and loudness. Some have said the factory amp can't easily power all replaced speakers but sounds like you have done that. To start I'm replacing the dash 3.5 with Kicker KS and the soundbar 3.5's with Kenwood Excelon's. I'd like to eventually add the the Metra pods with 6.5's; would the factory amp handle all of the above? I'll post back results but any additional insight would be good. I'd rather not go full amp route, just want better sound when driving naked.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Been watching these threads and have some new speakers coming tomorrow. I have a JLU (Moab) with 8.4 Alpine and want additional clarity and loudness. Some have said the factory amp can't easily power all replaced speakers but sounds like you have done that. To start I'm replacing the dash 3.5 with Kicker KS and the soundbar 3.5's with Kenwood Excelon's. I'd like to eventually add the the Metra pods with 6.5's; would the factory amp handle all of the above? I'll post back results but any additional insight would be good. I'd rather not go full amp route, just want better sound when driving naked.

Funny I was just searching Amazon for speakers and this popped up. What model Kicker KS did you purchase? is it plug and play or would you need an adapter do you know?

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase