Sponsored

Spare Tire Delete

thestein13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Unlimited Rubicon
Yes it is. I found it was rated higher than Curt at the time. Install was a breeze. I did get the Curt trailer harness though.
Same here, I am looking to get the Draw-Tite because I need a higher tongue weight capacity to carry a stand up jetski on a hitch hauler (430lbs total), but I noticed the Jeep owners manual says 350lbs maximum tongue weight so I am kind of worried about that even though the Draw-Tite hitch receiver says 675lbs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Same here, I am looking to get the Draw-Tite because I need a higher tongue weight capacity to carry a stand up jetski on a hitch hauler (430lbs total), but I noticed the Jeep owners manual says 350lbs maximum tongue weight so I am kind of worried about that even though the Draw-Tite hitch receiver says 675lbs.
I would go by the receiver rating. I think Draw Tite engineers know what they're doing.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to drop my spare but my JL is a daily driver and my concern is having A flat and I would hate to be in a place like Sam Houston Forest and get a flat or even running around town and get a flat, bad enough to get a flat but then to have to get home to get the spare and come back just adds to the misery.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I like the look of a Delete and the Spare tire delete seems absolutely logical to me for a “city vehicle” that never goes off road and rarely goes through really rural back roads (like middle of nowhere Wyoming or Montana or something).

a totally sincere question for those who have done the delete:

is it true that your jeep is a city jeep and you use it virtually always to just run about town, don’t take it off-roading, and don’t take it on long rural road trips (I.e “way off the interestate where the closest town/gas station might be 75 miles away” kinda thing)?

Sponsored

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I like the look of a Delete and the Spare tire delete seems absolutely logical to me for a “city vehicle” that never goes off road and rarely goes through really rural back roads (like middle of nowhere Wyoming or Montana or something).

a totally sincere question for those who have done the delete:

is it true that your jeep is a city jeep and you use it virtually always to just run about town, don’t take it off-roading, and don’t take it on long rural road trips (I.e “way off the interestate where the closest town/gas station might be 75 miles away” kinda thing)?
My Jeep is not a 'city jeep.' Yes, I do run around town with it. But I also go off road and take long trips. Am I on the Rubicon trail? No. I regularly drive out of state. I am about to go cross country with my Dad. I'm not worried about needing the spare, TPMS will warn me if there's a leak. I'll bring some tire plugs, if that. Honestly have never needed the spare on the side of the road. In the past if I've caught a screw or nail, I come out to a flat tire in the morning. Air it up and address it then.
29 years now, I've used a spare one time.
Some cars have a joke of a spare, my Mini Cooper didn't have one at all.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My Jeep is not a 'city jeep.' Yes, I do run around town with it. But I also go off road and take long trips. Am I on the Rubicon trail? No. I regularly drive out of state. I am about to go cross country with my Dad. I'm not worried about needing the spare, TPMS will warn me if there's a leak. I'll bring some tire plugs, if that. Honestly have never needed the spare on the side of the road. In the past if I've caught a screw or nail, I come out to a flat tire in the morning. Air it up and address it then.
29 years now, I've used a spare one time.
Some cars have a joke of a spare, my Mini Cooper didn't have one at all.
Thanks for that.

I’ve needed a spare 4 or 5 times but, as each time was in the “city”, I never bothered to change it roadside myself….. just limped to a shop to Change it (or home to change it myself).

since you are carrying a compressor and a tire plug kit, with the exception of a sidewall cut (not uncommon off road in places like CO) or bead slip, im thinking like you are: you’ll be fine in virtually all situations.

the Mini Cooper (my wife has one too) has run flats which I view as a different Situation Than the jeep.

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
the Mini Cooper (my wife has one too) has run flats which I view as a different Situation Than the jeep.
I have a compressor at home, but not in the Jeep.
My Mini was built with run flats, true. But I bought it used with regular summer tires.
I like to live dangerously.
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Delete 1635429685999

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I have a compressor at home, but not in the Jeep.
ah, that would change the equation for me. I wouldnt want to take my jeep 75 miles from nowhere on some rural backroad without a spare, without a compressor, without run flats, and only with a tire plug kit.

BUT, who cares what I think? My opinion is actually quite irrelevant. Your jeep, your way. Have fun on that upcoming trip with your Dad!

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
ah, that would change the equation for me. I wouldnt want to take my jeep 75 miles from nowhere on some rural backroad without a spare, without a compressor, without run flats, and only with a tire plug kit.

BUT, who cares what I think? My opinion is actually quite irrelevant. Your jeep, your way. Have fun on that upcoming trip with your Dad!
Let me ask you...how often have you used your spare on those rural backroads?? Do those sharp rocks litter the streets or are you just trying to be prepared?

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Let me ask you...how often have you used your spare on those rural backroads?? Do those sharp rocks litter the streets or are you just trying to be prepared?
As mentioned above, The only times I’ve had a flat tire have been in the city. Never had to change a tire roadside as I was always able to limp home or get at a shop. …….. actually, I need to edit this….. I did have to change a tire one roadside in the city….. I clipped a curb hard (bad driving) and tore out the sidewall. Changed the tire in a parking lot.

To my knowledge, “sharp rocks” don’t exist on rural roads. They exist on trails of all difficulties in the ROCKIES so while it is not common, it is not uncommon to have one cut a sidewall. Has not happened to me yet though.

rural back roads do have nails and glass, and and and ……. And I would guess that most of the resulting punctures could be fixed with a tire plug kit. But I personally would want an onboard compressor too like the one I currently carry for air ups/downs.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've found that a big can of expanding fix-a-flat can remedy all sorts of situations. That being said, I always care a spare anyway because I hate the feeling of being helpless in a situation. Like MacGyver without a set of shoelaces and a pocketknife...

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I like this spare delete (includes brake light, rear camera, license plate light)...

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Delete 90A4AFFE-2EE2-4CE0-A07F-9A522FFECB75
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Delete 92DB031D-BA79-4711-88AD-8DF6B4FC4460
Sponsored