Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
  • Banned
I went with the Artec aluminum delete. It was hard to find 2 door pics without the spare. If anyone is wondering, a stock Rubicon wheel and BFG K02 tire weigh about 74 lbs, the carrier is 8 lbs = 82 lbs off the back. It's put some pep in it's step.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Delete IMG_20201104_101535640_HDR

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Delete jeep spare delete

(BFG KO2 is 51 lbs according to Tire Rack, which puts a stock Rubicon wheel at 23 lbs.)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
  • Banned
So what do you do if you get a flat?
I've honestly only had to use the spare one time in 28 years. The TPMS will tell me if one goes low, I'll air it up and go home and get the tire. Or call my wife.
I appreciate the performance benefit more than the redundancy.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Nice look! I'm running the same kit on mine and I carry a plug kit with a compressor to deal with a flat and I throw the spare in the back when wheeling.

Sponsored

Coyne11

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon , 1989 Toyota Pickup 4x4 SAS Swap
I decided to go with a spare tire delete temporarily as well until I get the tire carrier I want. I went with the American Adventure Labs kit. I was surprised that every time I brought up deleting the 5th wheel, it was what if you get a flat. Well my plan would be to call buddy to bring my 5th and grab my floor jack and battery powered impact while there at it. If I do go on a trip, I would remount the 5th wheel or find a way to take it with.

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
  • Banned
I decided to go with a spare tire delete temporarily as well until I get the tire carrier I want. I went with the American Adventure Labs kit. I was surprised that every time I brought up deleting the 5th wheel, it was what if you get a flat. Well my plan would be to call buddy to bring my 5th and grab my floor jack and battery powered impact while there at it. If I do go on a trip, I would remount the 5th wheel or find a way to take it with.
Yes exactly. I'm not going to pack the whole world when I go on a drive. For me, less is more. I would take a hole saw to the Jeep, Yenko style, if I thought it wouldn't compromise the integrity and void the warranty.

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
  • Banned
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the slime. Have not had good luck with it, and the tire shops hate it. I would just limp it to the nearest air compressor or get it patched if I was too far from home.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I actually like the look of the rear mounted spare, but can see the weight savings as a plus.
However, the spare can act as an energy absorbing safety feature in a rear end collision, and I'll keep it for that reason. Plus, the last flat I had was non- repairable side wall damage, what are the odds..

Sponsored

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I actually like the look of the rear mounted spare, but can see the weight savings as a plus.
However, the spare can act as an energy absorbing safety feature in a rear end collision, and I'll keep it for that reason. Plus, the last flat I had was non- repairable side wall damage, what are the odds..
Just curious, how did you damage the sidewall?

thestein13

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Auditor
I went with the Artec aluminum delete. It was hard to find 2 door pics without the spare. If anyone is wondering, a stock Rubicon wheel and BFG K02 tire weigh about 74 lbs, the carrier is 8 lbs = 82 lbs off the back. It's put some pep in it's step.
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Delete Screenshot_20201104-124838_Amazon Shoppin
View attachment 388202
It looks good. I am looking to get the Artec spare delete as well to reduce the weight. Is that a Draw-Tite trailer hitch receiver?

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
It looks good. I am looking to get the Artec spare delete as well to reduce the weight. Is that a Draw-Tite trailer hitch receiver?
Yes it is. I found it was rated higher than Curt at the time. Install was a breeze. I did get the Curt trailer harness though.

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I run the Artic as well. The Camera mount does not support the 2021 redesigned rear camera. Other than that install was nice and easy, including the license plate lights.

I have a spare that I keep at the house but 99% of my driving is within 5 miles of my home. I prefer the look and visibility without the spare on the back. I've debated the Cavfab carrier since a 37 doesn't fit well behind the rear seats when I go on longer trips.
Sponsored