Sponsored

Solid Solutions to Rear Window Defrost Cable?

Jeepy Jeepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
After scrolling through a couple threads, it seems like all anyone can really do is attempt to solder the rear window defrost cable or replace the whole back glass. I'm on my 4th rear window coming up next week due to this issue. Luckily it's covered under warranty which is soon to expire, so now I'm questioning my ownership of this JLUR. I don't want to spend a few hundred bucks replacing the glass cause repairing it seems to fail every time. So after this rant, I just want to ask, does anybody have a solid solution for either reattaching the cable and it holding for more than half the year, or putting something on top of a new defrost cable on a new rear window to prevent it from coming off?
Sponsored

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
My wife's '18 Sport had both cables detached when we bought it and the dealer repair has survived two winters so far. As I recall, the dealer used conductive silver epoxy to fix it.

OP
OP
Jeepy Jeepy

Jeepy Jeepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Solved mine. Wrapped the end in electrical tape and forgot I had it.
I debated on buying the Trektop Bestop Ultra just to avoid this sh** all together ahahahaha. Thing is we live in the PNW and foggy/ frozen windows are a b**ch in the winter times.

Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
Same problem happened with my 07 Yukon a few years ago. If I remember correctly...I sanded the contact points with 600 grit, thoroughly cleaned them with rubbing alcohol, let dry, then with the solder gun heated the contact on the glass thoroughly (I was in a heated garage and the glass was relatively warm already so as not to crack the glass) and finished soldering as normal. I held in place for a few minutes.

Never had a problem since. Perhaps I simply lucked out.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
After scrolling through a couple threads, it seems like all anyone can really do is attempt to solder the rear window defrost cable or replace the whole back glass. I'm on my 4th rear window coming up next week due to this issue. Luckily it's covered under warranty which is soon to expire, so now I'm questioning my ownership of this JLUR. I don't want to spend a few hundred bucks replacing the glass cause repairing it seems to fail every time. So after this rant, I just want to ask, does anybody have a solid solution for either reattaching the cable and it holding for more than half the year, or putting something on top of a new defrost cable on a new rear window to prevent it from coming off?
We're sorry to hear of these ongoing concerns, Jeepy Jeepy. Should they return again after this recent fix, please let us know. Our team would be happy to discuss further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I just took mine in today because the passenger side contact broke off. I asked if they would try to repair it or just replace it and he said they tried at first to repair them but only about 30-40% worked so now they just replace them. We'll see how long it takes for the new one to get here.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Well, they just repositioned, and soldered mine back on. We will see how long that lasts.

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The problem is the poor connection. Bad connection gets hot (very) and melts solder or epoxy. Cut 3-5 x 1 cm disks of uncoated aluminum foil, stack them and re-attach the connector with them in the pinch to tighten up the connection.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Update, last week, with three days left, under warranty, I took the Jeep in, for the rear window defrost cable breaking loose again. It has been in, three times already, and the longest the fix has lasted was 2 days. So, when I got the Jeep back, it had a new new rear window.
Sponsored