Sponsored

Local Dealer Refuses to Repair Rear Window Defrost because Jeep was purchased used at another dealer

Treevis

First Name
Trevie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Ups Driver
@JeepCares

Purchased a 2022 JLU Rubicon 4Xe used around 2 weeks ago with 30000 miles and noticed the rear defrost wire became unattached. I purchased this Wrangler from a Jeep dealer 3 hours away and chose to take it to my local dealer to get this warrantied. When I stopped by the local dealer service dept I was informed that since they don’t have a glass shop and that I didn’t purchase this vehicle from them that they would not be repairing this for me under warranty and told me to look to another dealer. They stated that they wouldn’t get paid for this job since I did not purchase the Wrangler from them. But when I asked if they would have repaired the defroster had I purchased my Wrangler from them they said yes. Just wanted to get some advice or input on this matter.

Thanks

Jeep Wrangler JL Local Dealer Refuses to Repair Rear Window Defrost because Jeep was purchased used at another dealer IMG_8453
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treevis

Treevis

First Name
Trevie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Ups Driver
That sounds like complete BS to me, and that local dealer is beyond unhelpful - a warranty is a warranty, and it applies across the board. You are dealing with a bunch of jerks there, I would try somewhere else.
This kind of stuff just infuriates me.
I agree. A warranty is a warranty. I expect any Jeep Dealer to service my warranty needs. Not tell me to take it somewhere else.

hemiblas

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi, 2018 JLU Rubi, 2023 Bronco base SAS
It doesnt matter where you buy it. I would definitely let Jeep know what they are doing. If they can't repair jeeps under warranty then they shouldnt be allowed to have a dealership that sells them.

Signaljeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU 80th
It doesnt matter where you buy it. I would definitely let Jeep know what they are doing. If they can't repair jeeps under warranty then they shouldnt be allowed to have a dealership that sells them.
You're not wrong, I would complain but would still find another dealer. The OP has no business taking his Jeep to morons like that.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Sounds like the dealer would have to sub the whole job out and submit to Jeep for reimbursement and make nothing on the deal. I'm not sure if it is really that bad on their part.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Just solder it back on yourself. It will be a better repair than the dealer will do. Replacing the glass with another will have the same issue.

Mine came undone too. I'll fix it before winter. There are several videos on YouTube about how to go about it.

Signaljeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU 80th
Sounds like the dealer would have to sub the whole job out and submit to Jeep for reimbursement and make nothing on the deal. I'm not sure if it is really that bad on their part.
Nope sorry can't agree with that - the OP was told for all intents and purposes to bugger off and that is unacceptable for a Jeep that is still under warranty. No Sir I would have completely lost it if it was me - that's the Fighting Irish in me mind you.

Signaljeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU 80th
Just solder it back on yourself. It will be a better repair than the dealer will do. Replacing the glass with another will have the same issue.

Mine came undone too. I'll fix it before winter. There are several videos on YouTube about how to go about it.
In all fairness you're probably right - it's just terrible that owners have to resort to this.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Nope sorry can't agree with that - the OP was told for all intents and purposes to bugger off and that is unacceptable for a Jeep that is still under warranty. No Sir I would have completely lost it if it was me - that's the Fighting Irish in me mind you.
If it was my delivering dealer, then the GM and I would have a little discussion. Could a non-delivering dealer buy some goodwill with the OP, yes.

If it was me I'd just fix it myself as it is a very common problem on the JLs. I had ball joint clicking a year or so ago and did the TSB myself after taking it to the dealer and getting a "could not duplicate". It was faster and more convenient for me to do the TSB than take it to the dealer for the second time. During one of my "free" Jeep Wave oil changes, my dealer bent my hood latch, after getting a "So, What" attitude from the service manager, I bought the part and fixed it myself.

Some battles just aren't worth fighting, maybe a call to Jeep corporate could elicit some goodwill from a local dealer.

Signaljeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU 80th
If it was my delivering dealer, then the GM and I would have a little discussion. Could a non-delivering dealer buy some goodwill with the OP, yes.

If it was me I'd just fix it myself as it is a very common problem on the JLs. I had ball joint clicking a year or so ago and did the TSB myself after taking it to the dealer and getting a "could not duplicate". It was faster and more convenient for me to do the TSB than take it to the dealer for the second time. During one of my "free" Jeep Wave oil changes, my dealer bent my hood latch, after getting a "So, What" attitude from the service manager, I bought the part and fixed it myself.

Some battles just aren't worth fighting, maybe a call to Jeep corporate could elicit some goodwill from a local dealer.
This is indeed the truth of it Brother - fix it yourself and don't be annoying us dealers with your problems and even if we do try and fix something, we either won't ("cannot duplicate") or break something else.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is going on? - Edit No reply needed, I know exactly WTF is going on.

OP
OP
Treevis

Treevis

First Name
Trevie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Ups Driver
So would that be unreasonable to ask them to fulfill a warranty claim. They warranty and service Jeeps at a Jeep dealership. if it’s under warranty it’s under warranty. Plain and simple. Who are they to say and go against a customer on a warranty item. That is a clear violation of the terms of the 3/36000 warranty. If they are losing money on the warranty repair is that my fault? They need to address that with Jeep.

OP
OP
Treevis

Treevis

First Name
Trevie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Ups Driver

Trust me if I could fix it myself I would. But, I am currently not working due to a job related injury which makes it impossible to physically do this repair. I have 6000 miles left on my warranty so it is very important that I get this addressed immediately.

OP
OP
Treevis

Treevis

First Name
Trevie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Ups Driver
Exactly!
Sponsored