Soft top install and concerns

NYJEEPGIRL

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon - Firecracker Red
So I decided with the 70 and 80 degree weather we are getting this week the hard top needed to go. The removal of the hardtop was pretty easy since not much different then my past three jeeps. I store mine on end on a cart i made and i did notice it sits about two or three inches taller - was obvious when i went to roll it into my basement on the cart and it wouldn't go through the door as my past one did. Now on to the soft top. I watched the quadratec video a few times so i felt confident in the install. All the preliminary hardware setup was simple to figure out. Here are the things that concerned me or i didn't like as well as my past premium soft top setups. The way the door surrounds go on with actual bolts. I much preferred the the screw in knobs on my 2014 because you could easily remove the door surrounds when topless. Just looks better with them off when running no top and no doors. I would never remove these because you would have to get the tool kit out and wrench them off. The new way the windows slide in vs. zippers. The zippers definitely could be a big pain especially the back one but these new slide in windows seem to be as much or a pain if not more. I definitely need to figure out something to lube them with because they were hard to slide in and adjust left or right to the right spot It was not much over 70 degrees so the top was definitely not stretching well. The way the side window press in on the corners was just difficult and really didn't seem to push into the tabs on the corners really well. The clip thing that is supposed to hold your hardtop wiring and washer hose is just terrible. The soft top gets stuck on it and if you pull the soft top up with out thinking about it you will break it for sure. I ended up just removing it from clip thing for now because it will break for sure. Terrible design on that one. The other thing i was concerned about is the side window once in place if you run your hand to the back corner towards the back window i will include a pic of the area i mean there is this huge hand size opening where the slide thing for the window ends and the only thing keeping it from being exposed is the flap that comes down from the soft top. Seems odd to have this large open gap. Maybe some Velcro or something would have been nice. i could literally push a soda can through the gap into the back of the jeep that is how big the opening is at this spot. Seems odd. I know some of this is just me adjusting to a completely different way of installing the windows. I felt the same way when i got my 2004 and the snaps were gone like on a CJ. Also think it will stretch a bit and get easier. Also seems not near as tight as my 2014 premium once everything is in place. Especially above the side windows. Driving down the road wind noise is there but not bad - about the same as my 2014.

side window.jpg
Sponsored

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I never had a JK but this soft top (I have the premium) is hands down better than the one on my old TJ. It’s way easier to put up and take down. I didn’t find the windows that difficult to remove/install, and they seem way more durable. I agree the frame removal process is more cumbersome, but I think that is the trade off for the added ease of taking the top down.

thedoc29ca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
We struggled with putting the windows in and latching the top the first time. A day in the sun and it went much better the second time.

Definitely a bad spot to store the clip.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Still waiting on my Jeep to arrive, but I was curious about the soft top with the door rails. I had a TJ too, and often removed the surrounds when the doors were off. Of course that was a two door back in the day, the 4-door does look more involved. No way to replace the bolt with a bolt with a plastic handler or anything?

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
Stupid question. I put my soft top on yesterday. Went well, first jeep and no real concerns.

When its time to put the hard top back on do can i assume the door surrounds need to come off?

Sponsored

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Stupid question. I put my soft top on yesterday. Went well, first jeep and no real concerns.

When its time to put the hard top back on do can i assume the door surrounds need to come off?
Yes, for sure. The only thing you installed for the soft top that can stay are the metal brackets on the rear roll bar. Evrything else has to come off.

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
Yes, for sure. The only thing you installed for the soft top that can stay are the metal brackets on the rear roll bar. Evrything else has to come off.
Thanks, annoying but is what it is.

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
@NYJEEPGIRL - great write up!!

Mine stretched out good now that i have had it on for a few weeks. Very, very easy to put the side corners on now.

I was like you - whoa - this is different. Not sure how I felt, now that I have had it for a bit in rain, freeway, etc - love it.

Just put on the soft top on my JK and I really remember how much I do not miss those sail panels!!!

I do wish I could run it without the door surrounds like thebJK though.

Rivarat

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jku
Occupation
Fireman(boilers)/mechanic
Hi I’m a new Jeep owner and I’m hooked but I’m still kind of green I got a question on removing the soft top . Do the plastic door surrounds need to be removed as well or can they stay in place

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hi I’m a new Jeep owner and I’m hooked but I’m still kind of green I got a question on removing the soft top . Do the plastic door surrounds need to be removed as well or can they stay in place
If you’re asking do the plastic door surrounds need to come off to put the hard top on, the answer is yes. They do not need to come off when you are simply lowering the soft top for daily use.

Sponsored

Rivarat

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jku
Occupation
Fireman(boilers)/mechanic
If you’re asking do the plastic door surrounds need to come off to put the hard top on, the answer is yes. They do not need to come off when you are simply lowering the soft top for daily use.
Thank you for your help I was just asking about lowering the soft top

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thanks, annoying but is what it is.
The surrounds are what the doors seal to. The doors seal to the hard top when it is installed. I don't know how else it would work. They come off in about 5 minutes so not sure why it's annoying.

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
To those having issues with the latching.... Only hand start the 4 bolts in the back... Latch it... Then fully tighten.... Allows you a bit more play

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I definitely need to figure out something to lube them with because they were hard to slide in and adjust left or right to the right spot It was not much over 70 degrees so the top was definitely not stretching well.
I know I risk getting shot for this but it's true. "It's not the lube, it's the angle." ;)

Seriously, the angle you orient the soft windows out relative to the top, as the slide the, along the "C" channel makes all the difference. There's a learning curve: perhaps rewatch the videos for window orientation during the slide.

The clip thing that is supposed to hold your hardtop wiring and washer hose is just terrible.

...agreed, quite literally defective, as in, not tested before shipped to the owner. I use this device to keep the two cables managed, but let the device dangle freely in the cargo area, covering up the hole it's suppose to go into with electric tape.

The soft top gets stuck on it and if you pull the soft top up with out thinking about it you will break it for sure. I ended up just removing it from clip thing for now because it will break for sure. Terrible design on that one. The other thing i was concerned about is the side window once in place if you run your hand to the back corner towards the back window i will include a pic of the area i mean there is this huge hand size opening where the slide thing for the window ends and the only thing keeping it from being exposed is the flap that comes down from the soft top.
I lost the visual/am not getting this. You clip each side windows back vertical end into the vertical ends, on each side, of the back window, correct?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
For those of you installing for the first time do not, I repeat, DO NOT torque the door frame clamps to 8.8 ft-lbs like the instructions say. They will pull the insert through and split. Ask me how I know.
Sponsored