Sponsored

Giant soft top box- Install instructions

NickandRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (soon to be gone), 2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon Orderd on 3/28/18
I am pretty tall 6 foot 4, does anyone know if the seat can go all the way back with the soft top in the cargo area?

I have to drive around with it for a week and a half...
Sponsored

UrbanRogue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
When I got mine I couldnt move the seat back any further. im 6' and I fit in fine but some more space would have been good. thankfully I only had to drive 15 mins home to remove it.

NickandRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (soon to be gone), 2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon Orderd on 3/28/18
When I got mine I couldnt move the seat back any further. im 6' and I fit in fine but some more space would have been good. thankfully I only had to drive 15 mins home to remove it.
Yikes... We will see when I pick it up tomorrow!

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I am pretty tall 6 foot 4, does anyone know if the seat can go all the way back with the soft top in the cargo area?

I have to drive around with it for a week and a half...
Same height here. The seat was all the way back, but the recline was impossible, it was a very tight ride home in the Jeep. You could do it, but comfort was lacking, I was actually worried about being too tall, but once the box was removed, added some recline, and now I love the sitting position.

NickandRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same height here. The seat was all the way back, but the recline was impossible, it was a very tight ride home in the Jeep. You could do it, but comfort was lacking, I was actually worried about being too tall, but once the box was removed, added some recline, and now I love the sitting position.
Thank you for that info! I grew up in SE Michigan! What part do you live in?

Sponsored

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Thank you for that info! I grew up in SE Michigan! What part do you live in?
I am currently a Macomber... Macomb Twp in Macomb County... luckily not on Macomb St. Grew up in Dearborn Heights though, where did you live?

NickandRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am currently a Macomber... Macomb Twp in Macomb County... luckily not on Macomb St. Grew up in Dearborn Heights though, where did you live?
I grew up in Rochester Hills! My girlfriends family is in Macomb! They live off of Romeo Plank. Maybe I will see you cruising around! Moved to Grand Rapids for a job after graduation.

EEBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
91 Days since order and 57 days in KZ .... Now I find out I will need to go on a diet to get it home whenever it gets here ?!?!? This cannot get any worse ... Oh yeah --Frame welds could do that!

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
How hard is it to take the soft top off when your putting the hard top back on for winter? I know when your putting the soft top on the first time there is going to be a lot of pieces to put together but when you are taking it off does the soft top come off easy and in a lot of big pieces or do you have to take a lot of pieces off and then its the same as when you put it on the first time ?

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
How hard is it to take the soft top off when your putting the hard top back on for winter? I know when your putting the soft top on the first time there is going to be a lot of pieces to put together but when you are taking it off does the soft top come off easy and in a lot of big pieces or do you have to take a lot of pieces off and then its the same as when you put it on the first time ?
Took me about 30 minutes to swap tops using my Lange hoist. Soft top comes off in:
1. Top
2. 2ea front rails
3. 2ea rear rails
4. 2ea rear corner brackets

I left the metal brackets on the rear roll bars since they don’t interfere with the hard top.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Took me about 30 minutes to swap tops using my Lange hoist. Soft top comes off in:
1. Top
2. 2ea front rails
3. 2ea rear rails
4. 2ea rear corner brackets

I left the metal brackets on the rear roll bars since they don’t interfere with the hard top.
The video I saw someone first putting it together look like a lot of pieces you're saying it wasn't much though ,

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Yeah, it won't be bad. Pull the 3 windows, bundle the top (bungees or the bag it came in), then pull the door surrounds (3 bolts each side), and the 2 rear corner plates (2 more screws), and then the "locking Mechanism", 4 more bolts. That is is it, you will end up with 10 pieces and 12 bolts.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Yeah, it won't be bad. Pull the 3 windows, bundle the top (bungees or the bag it came in), then pull the door surrounds (3 bolts each side), and the 2 rear corner plates (2 more screws), and then the "locking Mechanism", 4 more bolts. That is is it, you will end up with 10 pieces and 12 bolts.
Ok thanks. I've always been jealous riding around the last five years with the hardtop on all the time and seeing people with their tops off in the summer and spring. I was wishing i could do the same but it's too much of a hassle even with the hoist to go back and forth taking a hardtop on and off on and off and then sometimes you don't know it's going to rain and you have to do it two or three days it's not worth it. Texas weather is always unpredictable it will show 5 days of sun and it will rain the next day just too much of a hassle I need to have the soft top for the summer. Not ever having a soft top and a hardtop for 5 years it's going to be pretty loud isn't it? My mud tires are loud already I'm going to really hear them I bet at all the road noise I guess I could get used to it LOL

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Ok thanks. I've always been jealous riding around the last five years with the hardtop on all the time and seeing people with their tops off in the summer and spring. I was wishing i could do the same but it's too much of a hassle even with the hoist to go back and forth taking a hardtop on and off on and off and then sometimes you don't know it's going to rain and you have to do it two or three days it's not worth it. Texas weather is always unpredictable it will show 5 days of sun and it will rain the next day just too much of a hassle I need to have the soft top for the summer. Not ever having a soft top and a hardtop for 5 years it's going to be pretty loud isn't it? My mud tires are loud already I'm going to really hear them I bet at all the road noise I guess I could get used to it LOL
Just put the soft top on tonight. Whole process of removing hardtop and getting soft-top unpacked and installed only took about 30 minutes. The soft top is louder. But I was able to hold a conversation at highway speeds pretty normally (couldn't do that in the old days). You hear more wind/road noise for sure, and yeah the tires don't help.

Soft top in Michigan is like wearing white pants, Memorial day to Labor day! :) The freedom is cool, this new flip open 1/2 the top, can't wait to try that out.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Just put the soft top on tonight. Whole process of removing hardtop and getting soft-top unpacked and installed only took about 30 minutes. The soft top is louder. But I was able to hold a conversation at highway speeds pretty normally (couldn't do that in the old days). You hear more wind/road noise for sure, and yeah the tires don't help.

Soft top in Michigan is like wearing white pants, Memorial day to Labor day! :) The freedom is cool, this new flip open 1/2 the top, can't wait to try that out.
How do you store the soft top for the winter since you've already installed it and put it together ? Don't want to break it all down and put it back in that box again. Do you have to take it all apart again ? If not where would you store it or how ? I guess you can hang it from the cables in the air like the hardtop couldnt you
Sponsored

Last edited: