Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
This question is mainly for 2 door owners, since the tops are not exactly the same, but curious to hear from all owners as well.

When you fold your top down into the Sun Rider position, do you manually adjust the folds on the sides to smooth them out?

Based on my understanding, and following official Jeep instructions, it seems that you should be able to just fold it back and go. (And use straps to hold it in place.)

With mine, unless I intervene, the top folds in such a way that it becomes pinched, and has even created damage at this point. This occurred within the first couple weeks of ownership. I am working through a warranty claim with Jeep on this now.

Pinching:
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Folding Issue 20357368-D5A1-4D29-A2AB-8EBF1E3C5AD7

Damage created:
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Folding Issue 1EA046EF-554D-42F0-87A8-2610383EAD6B

Also of note, about 90% of the time when I fold the top back closed, this occurs on that same side, which leads me to believe things are out of alignment. I have to pull it down over the lip where it catches. This may be normal, however, so chime in if so. This has never occurred on the other side.
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Folding Issue 0FCEC8C8-8BB5-4E36-BAD1-DE7699F4B0DC
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
This question is mainly for 2 door owners, since the tops are not exactly the same, but curious to hear from all owners as well.

When you fold your top down into the Sun Rider position, do you manually adjust the folds on the sides to smooth them out?

Based on my understanding, and following official Jeep instructions, it seems that you should be able to just fold it back and go. (And use straps to hold it in place.)

With mine, unless I intervene, the top folds in such a way that it becomes pinched, and has even created damage at this point. This occurred within the first couple weeks of ownership. I am working through a warranty claim with Jeep on this now.

Pinching:

Damage created:

Also of note, about 90% of the time when I fold the top back closed, this occurs on that same side, which leads me to believe things are out of alignment. I have to pull it down over the lip where it catches. This may be normal, however, so chime in if so. This has never occurred on the other side.
I have the premium soft top on my 2dr and do not have this issue. I just flip it back and go (and I don’t use those silly straps).

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I have the premium top also but like yours sometimes it tends to get folded within the mechanism.....I pull the material to the back(meaning ..don't let the material get pinched) because over time that will wear thru! Even on my Jk when I use to put it back ...each fold would be pulled back and out of the way of the bars ..it folds just the same but not caught in the metal bars. Takes two seconds ...and yeah I also don't use the straps. My bars and pistons are pretty strong holding it in place. When I need to put it up it is a bull, I use two hands to lift it to upright.

OP
OP
ConqSoft

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies. And yeah I don’t use the straps either. Just mentioned that to be PC. ;)

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Sorry didn't address the second issue, My bad..Mine sometimes does that with it not covering the lip. So not sure its as much an issue as it is just completing the process. I walk around to each b pillar and make sure the the top is pulled down and velcro is up under and fastened! Yes I am a little excessive.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I haven't noticed this, but now you've got me wondering. I'll have to look next time I pull it back.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I have the base soft-top as well, and I make sure to push the folds back so they don't get pinched in the soft top mechanism. I had a similar mark in the same place on my top, but it didn't wear a hole through and hasn't leaked or anything like that.

Edit: @ConqSoft it also seems like your passenger rear window is not hooked into the C-channel correctly, it should all be up inside the soft top.

OP
OP
ConqSoft

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Edit: @ConqSoft it also seems like your passenger rear window is not hooked into the C-channel correctly, it should all be up inside the soft top.
Right, I was just showing that it sometimes gets caught like that when folding the top down and I have to manually correct it. I was just posting that to see if others had similar experience.

Keeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Granite
Old thread, but I always adjust it as well. I make sure it's a smooth fold between the bars but not pinching. I even grab each fold a slide it back and forth a bit to make sure it's not snagged in the hinges.

Zman9788

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Willy's Sport 2 Door
How about the first support bar corners pushing up sharply on the two door base soft top? Mine was delivered July 2022 and just recently checked 2023 two door on dealer lot and same. Seems like it will wear through prematurely? Anyone else concerned or ran into issues? No luck speaking to rep at Detroit Auto Show, they just said warranty would cover it if an issue came up. Dealer said no reports of issues.

20230308_162700.jpg

20230308_162748.jpg

20230327_145212.jpg

20230327_145149.jpg
Sponsored