XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
I am not surprised by your experience, A dedicated winter tire like the Michelin Ice-X is always going to be better on ice and snow compared to a A/T. Subaru has a great all-wheel drive system. Add dedicated winter tires and it is a snowmobile only limited by clearance. Clearance and weight is something the JL is superior in for sure. Anyone who owns a Jl and wants the ultimate winter traction should use dedicated winter tires. I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know. You live up North in Canada so I know you have winter experience. lol.
On packed road snow only thats been plowed already.
Sponsored

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This was my first time driving my JLUR in such snowy roads, as we didn’t have real snow till now in metro Detroit. I am really impressed at how predictable the dynamics of the wrangler are, both in 2 and 4wd, except when traction control is on (for obvious reasons).

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Anyone out there on snowy/icy streets with Cooper STTs pls chime in. Am curious

parrotheadphan

First Name
Mike (aka Kirk)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Firecracker Red, 3.6l, 8 spd auto
Occupation
Digital arts & photography teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Yes! That's it. It is by GordonEdwards.net. The basic version is great, but has ads. No big deal. The pro version is 3 bucks and gets you no ads, theme colors, quicker alerts, and the ability to record. I've done fine with the free version. The alerts are great. You can set it to let you know whenever 3000 people are tuned into a particular scanner. I've used this countless times during natural and man made disasters and emergencies. Last night I was able to hear where people had slid off the roads or where there were accidents. It is great!
Thanks for the info Dan. I found it for iOS.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I'm at my Upstate NY digs, this week. My JL is parked in the garage..

Fired up the old Chevy pickup truck with plow and plowed the 10" of snow we got overnight..

Prior to getting the pickup truck with the plow, I had a Wrangler with a Meyer plow.

plowing-2019.jpg

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Finally a thread were people aren't complaining.
I like the K02s also

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
I love snow driving. However, I would say that the JL stinks in the snow and that the KO2s aren't very good in it either.

I had 4 JKs and they performed much better. I drove the JL with the KO2s as well as with the Milestars I had on my JK. There was no improvement.

We got about 9 inches last night. The JL was slipping and sliding, not wanting to go etc. I brought it home and took the 2019 RAM out. There was no comparison. The RAM didn't spin the tires or slip once.

Overall I am disappointed in the JL.
Ya, sounds like you should probably sell it...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I don't know if I can take a guy serious who parks his Jeep to drive a Chevy. That kinda hurts my heart a little.:(:brokenhearted:

Sponsored

slamr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB, Harley SE Street Glide
16” to 18” of snow today. Took the Moab out in the middle of it for a test drive. Select-Trac and stock tires were incredible in both plowed, moderate and deep snow. Defroster and wipers worked fine and no build up on lights. Only out for an hour playing around but all systems were go!

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
This was my first time driving my JLUR in such snowy roads, as we didn’t have real snow till now in metro Detroit. I am really impressed at how predictable the dynamics of the wrangler are, both in 2 and 4wd, except when traction control is on (for obvious reasons).
I second that. I have had my CRV for the last 8 or 9 winters. It's a front bias all wheel drive and I know exactly how it does in the snowy condition. First time owning a rear wheel drive vehicle and JL does pretty good. Its dynamic is pretty predictable. I have a manual so it takes a bit to get used to but overall easy to maneuver in the snow. We have received 6+ inches of snow the last two days and it has no problem. In a few occasions I put it in 4H and the traction is great. Compared to my CRV which has a passive system that only sends up to 20% the power to the rear when the front loses traction, JL in 4H just gets up and go.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Drove an hour and back in the storm here in Maine. 100% snow pack with some loose snow on top in spots. Never took it out of 4H.
Mickey Thompson MTZ3 305's. Being on MT 's, i was expecting a little sliding around. I was surprised, the traction control never flashed indicating it was activating. I forced it to active once to test the traction. I ran with cruise control on (still snowing) and even downshifts when climbing hills....the tires did not break loose.

Knowing MT's are not optimum in snow and ice It think it comes down to PSI. I was at 28 cold 32 warm. I backed out up a steep driveway at a friends camp with a couple inches of snow on top of packed ice and snow that had thawed and refroze from a previous storm and did not spin at all and was expecting to. Any tire can perform poorly if they are too hard in snow.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Love when people say which tires are great and which are garbage. It's as if they made completely different tires and put the same name on them. Same with Wranglers. I think it generally comes down to defending what you bought and wanting to defend your decision. I'd also guess the perceived ability everyone has of their driving abilities. See a lot of SUVs in the ditch on snowy/icy roads, reasons include over-expecting how they can drive on bad roads, using cruise control on bad roads, oversteering. In the department I worked we had to drive county roads with rear wheel drive cruisers and did a good job except for blizzards when the National Guard had to be called out (lot higher ground clearance with their trucks). Adding 4x4, better tires etc. helps a lot but the driver is the big differential.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Wonder how many wayward Jeepers they’ll find come the spring thaw?
Sponsored