Snow driving Tips

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Best way to drive in the snow is not to.
Sponsored

Reactions: AFD

JeepNYak

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Use your mirrors in concert with the excellent outward visibility that the vehicle's design provides.

The sum of the backup camera appears to be plastic, and might be easily damaged by an application of even low heat.
I get how to drive but the cam housing seems to attract snow. It’s like the front doors when it’s raining and u open them. The roof drain rail falls inside

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
The full tank of gas isn't to get you through the snow, it's in case you don't.
The added weight of a full tank of gas, ANY extra weight really, will help those rear tires get traction in the snow.

Soggybottomboy

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon JLU.
Occupation
Retired from Retards
I've really enjoyed reading this informative thread! I am, however, surprised the topic of "Traction Control" was just briefly touched on maybe twice. For those experienced with "snow jeeping" what's your advice in regards to traction control? Leave in on or turn it off?

SBB

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I've really enjoyed reading this informative thread! I am, however, surprised the topic of "Traction Control" was just briefly touched on maybe twice. For those experienced with "snow jeeping" what's your advice in regards to traction control? Leave in on or turn it off?
I tend to turn the traction control function off, if the snowfall is such that momentum uber alles will make a difference.

Note that shifting back into 2 High, from 4 High, will reactivate traction control if it was manually deactivated.

Sponsored

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
Wow very interesting. I like to ski and I plan on going on multiple winter road trips. If I drive till 1/4 full would that have a negative impact? Might do tbis about 10 times a winter.
No. Certainly not 1/4 and above.

I would worry more about condensation and hence H2O collecting, especially if you park in warm/humid garages, after being outside in the COLD.

Submerged pumps typically lose lifespan due to HEAT, and running tanks extremely low, over heats fuel pumps, especially in hot conditions.

German high performance applications were notorious for this.

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude

SBB
Exactly what the dude wrote to you before me.
In deep snow, if momentum is slow, keep it OFF, or you will get stuck.

Keep it on, if conditions are slippery due to snow with an icy base, etc, especially at higher speeds, like on a public road.

Soggybottomboy

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon JLU.
Occupation
Retired from Retards
Exactly what the dude wrote to you before me.
In deep snow, if momentum is slow, keep it OFF, or you will get stuck.

Keep it on, if conditions are slippery due to snow with an icy base, etc, especially at higher speeds, like on a public road.
Makes sense! Thanks.

SBB

Scratch

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK 2019 JL MOAB 2020 JTR
The traction control on these vehicles is really good and will help to keep you on the road. If you are struggling to move or climb, the traction control with stop you as it tries to help control the slip it adds a little brake Ultimately bringing the vehicle to a stop when there is a lot of slipping. Often on my driveway, people struggle to get up it in the snow.I have them and myself turn off the traction control and let the wheels spin a little and slide. Most of the time I can get them up the hill however it can be a slip and slide and have to anticipate it to keep a vehicle on the road. Unless I'm looking to play and slip I put the tractions control back on when I hit the road.
Scratch
Sponsored