Skyone Touch

WooPig

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUXRR 392
Those of you with the Skyone touch who have put on some miles with it. How do you like it, and if you had to again would you still get it? Looking for real world experiences. I’m not overly concerned with noise, just things like leaking, malfunctions, replacing it, car washes.
Sponsored

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
16k miles, 8 months on mine. Love it, no mechanical issues at all. My only complaints are noise, but since that doesn't matter to you ;)

Pete

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Those of you with the Skyone touch who have put on some miles with it. How do you like it, and if you had to again would you still get it? Looking for real world experiences. I’m not overly concerned with noise, just things like leaking, malfunctions, replacing it, car washes.

I just sold my 2020 JLUR with 28K miles on it - loved the sky top enough that I got it on the 2021 that replaced the first one.

No leaks, malfunctions, or anything - was flawless for 28K. We love the top - find that we open the top much more since you can do it up to 55 mph so incredibly convenient.

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WB Hellcat, 2016 Wrangler, 2021 392 Wrangler
Have it on my 392 and love it because of the ease. Not a fan of the wrinkles on top but Pros far outweigh the cons.

OP
OP

WooPig

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUXRR 392
Thanks for the replies. There are threads on the tops but nothing really about longevity. Now that people have had them a few years, it’s just made me curious about my decision to go with it. I’m one to run it thru the auto car wash as well.

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I would not go through auto carwash. Some have I have read about but I believe its not suggested to do. I personally do not and do not with my Rubi either. I prefer to hand wash my autos.

@Stormin’ Moorman had issues with his top and the rails not doing to good with mud and dirt causing rail damage and top having to be replaced. I have not read about anyone else having issue like that yet. He could tell you more about his issue.

AaronTV

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Thanks for the replies. There are threads on the tops but nothing really about longevity. Now that people have had them a few years, it’s just made me curious about my decision to go with it. I’m one to run it thru the auto car wash as well.
I've only taken mine though the wash once but it was fine. Here's the thing. Would you feel comfortable driving in a rain storm? If yes, why would trips through the car wash be any different? Just a thought. Sometimes, as consumers that like to research every detail, we tend to overthink some things ;)

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
I would not go through auto carwash. Some have I have read about but I believe its not suggested to do. I personally do not and do not with my Rubi either. I prefer to hand wash my autos.

@Stormin’ Moorman had issues with his top and the rails not doing to good with mud and dirt causing rail damage and top having to be replaced. I have not read about anyone else having issue like that yet. He could tell you more about his issue.
Just read the section of the owners manual about SOT. There is nothing about top care, just this:
“Power Top Maintenance
Use only a non-abrasive cleaner and a soft cloth to clean the quarter window glass panel. For important information on cleaning and caring for your vehicle Ú page 475.”

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
I've only taken mine though the wash once but it was fine. Here's the thing. Would you feel comfortable driving in a rain storm? If yes, why would trips through the car wash be any different? Just a thought. Sometimes, as consumers that like to research every detail, we tend to overthink some things ;)
It's not the water part of the car wash that concerns me. It's the harsh chemicals and brushes beating on my soft top, and potentially damaging it. I would have the same reservations with the twill part of the sky one touch. If I did take it through a car wash it would be a touchless one

I would be less hesitant to take a hardtop though a tunnel wash but my preference is to hand wash my vehicles.

Sponsored

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara with Power Top
2 years and 29k miles. No issues. Mainly hand wash, but have used a car wash a few times.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I've had mine since 01/2019, 82,000 miles. Some might call me the world's foremost expert on the SOT. Some might call me full of poo. Nevertheless...

(I also have another JLUR with a hard and soft top so i think i may be the best person to comment on the differences. Lots of ins, lots of outs, lots of what-have-yous)

Noise- Can't really tell the difference between that and the hardtop except when it rains really hard. It's definitely quieter than the soft top. Is seems that most of the noise on the soft top comes from the sides so you don't get any of that with the SOT.

Leaking- Never, I've had small leaks on both of the other tops though. Go figure...I think whether any top leaks (hard, soft, SOT) is luck of the draw.

Car Washes- I only hand wash my jeep because I'm heterosexual so i don't have experience with automatic car washes. I do however, pressure wash it and had no issues.

Breaking it- Yes, i destroyed mine at 70,000 miles but the extended warranty replaced it so I'm back in high cotton. So here's the rub with the SOT; it doesn't like mud and gravel and it doesn't like to flex. I got into a real shit show in east Texas and my jeep was covered in mud that had little pieces of gravel in it. I pressure washed my jeep within hours but some of the gravel washed down and got in the tracks that the top runs on....unbeknownst to me of course. The next few times i used it, the gravel/mud gouged out the aluminum rails and the MFer stopped working.

Cost to replace, about $5,500. When they removed it they saw that the rails were also damaged from flexing and that alone probably would have killed it eventually...maybe.

Summary- I love the SOT, truly the best top Jeep makes. But If you're going to be hard core (like me) and say hard core shit (like me) and do hard core shit (like me) , maybe the other tops would be better. It you're going to mild, it's a great top.

SIDE NOTE- I don't care what jeep says, you can easily take it on and off.

jimmym1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had mine since 01/2019, 82,000 miles. Some might call me the world's foremost expert on the SOT. Some might call me full of poo. Nevertheless...

(I also have another JLUR with a hard and soft top so i think i may be the best person to comment on the differences. Lots of ins, lots of outs, lots of what-have-yous)

Noise- Can't really tell the difference between that and the hardtop except when it rains really hard. It's definitely quieter than the soft top. Is seems that most of the noise on the soft top comes from the sides so you don't get any of that with the SOT.

Leaking- Never, I've had small leaks on both of the other tops though. Go figure...I think whether any top leaks (hard, soft, SOT) is luck of the draw.

Car Washes- I only hand wash my jeep because I'm heterosexual so i don't have experience with automatic car washes. I do however, pressure wash it and had no issues.

Breaking it- Yes, i destroyed mine at 70,000 miles but the extended warranty replaced it so I'm back in high cotton. So here's the rub with the SOT; it doesn't like mud and gravel and it doesn't like to flex. I got into a real shit show in east Texas and my jeep was covered in mud that had little pieces of gravel in it. I pressure washed my jeep within hours but some of the gravel washed down and got in the tracks that the top runs on....unbeknownst to me of course. The next few times i used it, the gravel/mud gouged out the aluminum rails and the MFer stopped working.

Cost to replace, about $5,500. When they removed it they saw that the rails were also damaged from flexing and that alone probably would have killed it eventually...maybe.

Summary- I love the SOT, truly the best top Jeep makes. But If you're going to be hard core (like me) and say hard core shit (like me) and do hard core shit (like me) , maybe the other tops would be better. It you're going to mild, it's a great top.

You deserve an award for this write-up!

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Love it! Two years, 24k miles. Mild off-roading. Never through a car wash. Always hand-wash my vehicles. Reading more and more issues from people, like Stormin' Moorman above, who flex it so I think I'll try to avoid most hard-core flexing and situations that could result in much mud/grit in the tracks.

OP
OP

WooPig

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUXRR 392

Great info, thank you!

Last JK I did dual tops and maybe switched them twice in 2 years. With the 392, the SOT was $2000 and dual top was like $1200. So for the extra $800 I thought I’d roll the dice on it. From the sound of most of you, it looks like I made the right decision.
Sponsored