Sponsored

Service Shifter

kellywi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 4 Door
After you checked those? I wonder if you have the rubbing issue, to be clear I am only telling you to check this because it's a simple check, also check your fuses and make sure they are all in place. Simple checks. Mine has not happened since I looked at the star bus thing behind the glove box. Just tying to help with his frustrating problem
Sponsored

AussieJLOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Overland Unlimited
It sounds like it all comes down to whether it's still under warranty or not. Under warranty Jeep & the dealer seem very keen to fix the problem & out of warranty it seems that the dealer just takes you for a ride charging you for diagnostics & repair/replacements you don't need! It sounds very much like your dealers of choice are just ripping you off & milking you for every dollar they can get out of you. So far under warranty I haven't paid a single cent out of pocket. Jeep has paid for everything. I was talking to my dealers service manager last time it was in (having the trans wiring harness repaired & rerouted to fix the service shifter issue) & was told that Jeep do not pay them for the diagnostics (time it takes them to isolate/identify the issue) under warranty. All they do is supply the parts once diagnosed & Jeep don't even pay the dealers their hourly rate, they only pay the dealer a set price to carry out the repair under warranty which means its not in a dealers interest to spend time diagnosing the issue & even doing the repair isn't in a dealers best financial interest when they can be milking money for out of warranty work from unsuspecting & gullible customers who trust the dealers word to their own detriment & financial pain! Jeep will not allow dealers to play the trial & error game by replacing parts one by one until they get it right. Under warranty Jeep refuses to pay dealers or supply parts until they are satisfied that the problem has been correctly diagnosed first! I find it very hard to believe that Jeep in Australia are telling dealers to check the trans wiring harness for the service shifter issue & are even supplying a wiring harness repair kit for this very problem but Jeep in the US is not telling dealers the same. Considering that we in Aus don't get new model Wranglers for over a year after release in the US most if not all issues are discovered & resolved in the US before the vehicle has even hit our market for purchase. I'm going to go out on a limb & say that your dealers of choice are crooks & just ripping you off for repairs & replacement parts you don't need & won't resolve the issue. If I was in the US I would sue the dealer for my money back & inconvenience for unnecessary repairs that didn't solve the problem. Bottom line is that if FCA in Australia is aware of this issue & is directing dealers to check the harness & even supplying a wiring repair kit to fix the harness then FCA in the US must know & do the same so the dealers are crooks ripping you off for repairs you don't need.

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
I came upon this post while searching for answers for my 2019 JLU Sport S that started 3 weeks ago with all the bells and whistles coming on, lose the speedometer, says to service the shifter, the abs, the ess the start stop system while driving. Or when I start it in the morning goes through all of this locks in park. I have to shut it off several times and hope it comes out of it then I blast off to work. It's been to the dealer twice now, they replaced the aux battery and cleared the 80 codes it was throwing. I get it back and drive it for 4 days and does it again. back to the dealer a week later, they found a lose wire. Take it home drive it for 4 days does it again but I'm sorry we're booked out until the end of September. Does it yesterday morning while at a stop sign but the drive light on the shifter starts flashing and when I hit the gas sounds like it's in neutral. The message says put in park then the desired gear - not it'll lock in park so up to neutral then back to drive and off i go. This morning, it acted like I had no power steering. had to restart and just the check engine light was one. Anyone here have found a solution? That I can enlighten the dealer on. It's only 3 years old hasn't been off road yet. Very frustrating.

ProJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I came upon this post while searching for answers for my 2019 JLU Sport S that started 3 weeks ago with all the bells and whistles coming on, lose the speedometer, says to service the shifter, the abs, the ess the start stop system while driving. Or when I start it in the morning goes through all of this locks in park. I have to shut it off several times and hope it comes out of it then I blast off to work. It's been to the dealer twice now, they replaced the aux battery and cleared the 80 codes it was throwing. I get it back and drive it for 4 days and does it again. back to the dealer a week later, they found a lose wire. Take it home drive it for 4 days does it again but I'm sorry we're booked out until the end of September. Does it yesterday morning while at a stop sign but the drive light on the shifter starts flashing and when I hit the gas sounds like it's in neutral. The message says put in park then the desired gear - not it'll lock in park so up to neutral then back to drive and off i go. This morning, it acted like I had no power steering. had to restart and just the check engine light was one. Anyone here have found a solution? That I can enlighten the dealer on. It's only 3 years old hasn't been off road yet. Very frustrating.
HI agpthng,
I don't have a solution - but you have perfectly described everything that I've been experiencing with our 2018 for most of this calendar year. Our Jeep pretty much lives at the dealership. I suggest that you open a case with Jeep Cares. Not that it has been necessarily helpful at finding a resolution - but hopefully it helps them recognize this as a significant safety issue with the vehicle.
Sorry to welcome you to the club.

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
Everything I am seeing with this problem seems to revolve around 2018/2019 models.....I think I saw a small percentage of 2020 folks but can anyone confirm this?

Sponsored

ProJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Everything I am seeing with this problem seems to revolve around 2018/2019 models.....I think I saw a small percentage of 2020 folks but can anyone confirm this?
fwiw, if you dig around on the forum you'll find several threads under various titles on this topic dating back to 2018. It does seem to be predominant in 2018's but that may be due to normal vehicle wear. My Jeep was at about 32k miles when this started. Ironically, I had placed an order for a 4xe Rubi just before we began experiencing this issue. During one of my many conversations with the service advisor at the first dealership that we worked with he told me that 1/20 new Jeeps have this same issue and that he wouldn't purchase one if it was him. I can't quantify the validity of his comment - but we did cancel our order.

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
That just stinks....I wouldn't worry so much about the issue if Jeep Dealers/Service wasn't so absolutely terrible. I almost didn't buy my current jeep just because of the terrible Jeep service that has been a thing for pretty much the last 20 or 30 years.....They seriously have been the worst car manufacturer to deal with in terms of service. Maybe Ive just had bad luck

ProJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
After you checked those? I wonder if you have the rubbing issue, to be clear I am only telling you to check this because it's a simple check, also check your fuses and make sure they are all in place. Simple checks. Mine has not happened since I looked at the star bus thing behind the glove box. Just tying to help with his frustrating problem
HI Kelly, I appreciate you reaching back out. We were able to get it to start and engage in gear so limped it back to the dealership without power steering (arm day!) We parked it in the service drop off bay and went to check in with the service advisor and while he was jotting down all the notes the attendant who was attempting to drive it back to the service area came back into the lobby and asked what we had to do to get it into gear. Ha! I don't know how long it sat before they were able to move it. At least we know that they've experienced the issue now.

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
HI agpthng,
I don't have a solution - but you have perfectly described everything that I've been experiencing with our 2018 for most of this calendar year. Our Jeep pretty much lives at the dealership. I suggest that you open a case with Jeep Cares. Not that it has been necessarily helpful at finding a resolution - but hopefully it helps them recognize this as a significant safety issue with the vehicle.
Sorry to welcome you to the club.
Thank you for the welcome! lol - How does one open a case with Jeep Cares?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thank you for the welcome! lol - How does one open a case with Jeep Cares?
Hi there. Our team would be happy to discuss your concerns further via private message. You can reach out to us there to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Hi there. Our team would be happy to discuss your concerns further via private message. You can reach out to us there to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Kate,

Where do I find that on the forum?

Carol

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dakota, 2017 Cherokee, 2023 Willys XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

Kate,

Where do I find that on the forum?

Carol
Click on the email icon at the top right of the screen - next to your screen name. Select to start a new conversation. For the Recipients type "jeepcares" (no quotes or spaces) the Jeep Cares name will show up. Click on it and start your message.

I hope this helps.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
We just had the service shifter message come up on my wife’s 2 month old, 2300km, 2022 4xE. She’s out with her sisters so I haven’t been able to check anything yet. We do have a Tazer mini connected and I was able to talk her through pulling and clearing a code UO103-00 (Lost communication with gear shift module).

tholzer82

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited

Kate
Jeep Cares
Why a private message? Can't you/someone provide insight to all the angry consumers with this issue? My wife HATES driving her jeep because she never knows when the electrical gremlins strike. I'm not about to bring it to the dealership so they can try and chuck parts at it. I feel bad for all the people begging for help on here yet @JeepCares only wants to discuss privately?

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL (50k miles and conveniently out of warranty) with all the same craziness that others are explaining here.
Sponsored