irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
Hey all,

I've pretty much had this build planned before I even ordered the jeep. Although I've wavered a few times after seeing other builds, I keep coming back to the original plan. Hope you enjoy, find some inspiration from it, and hopefully learn a few things too.

I'm a form and function type of guy. Everything I add to my Jeep needs to aesthetically pleasing (subjective I know) and also functional. The ultimate goal is part-time overlander, most-time daily driver, and most importantly, built to handle the rugged terrain of the forest moon of Endor. ;)

I ordered my 2019 2 Door Rubicon in January and 3 weeks later took delivery.
IMG_2542.JPG

Drove it stock for 3k miles. Wheeled it stock at Windrock, All while amassing parts for the build and waiting for the warmer weather to allow me to wrench on it. Which brings us here.

PHASE 1a: Lift/Wheels/Tires

Dynatrac Endurosport 2" Lift
17 x 9 -12 Method MR312 Wheels
37 x 12.5 Cooper STT Pro Tires

Tires on the ground just after install and without the spare...
IMG_2688.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2698.JPG

Lets talk lift height. The Dynatrac lift is not 2 door specific. It's the same kit for both 2 and 4 door. Here are my lift heights with and without the spare tire on.

Front: 2 1/4"
Rear: 2 1/2" (with spare) 3" (without spare)

I'll re-measure next weekend to see if the springs settle out a bit. Here is with the spare installed.
IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

I know just about everyone loves their lift after they install it no matter the brand. I'm no exception. I'm very pleased with it on the road. It's a little bit stiffer than stock, which I like and feel is needed to handle the extra weight of the 37's, but still extremely comfortable to drive both around town and on the highway. I'll leave it at that for my initial impressions and report back periodically. I'll be testing it out off-road next month.
Sponsored

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHASE 1b: Tire Carrier

Teraflex Rear Tire Carrier
Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement Kit

Let me just say that I am extremely disappointed in this solution. I was holding out for the Teraflex tire carrier and was one of the first to purchase it when it was available. All the info that was released was can handle up to a 39" tire. Ok, cool. I'm in. Then they day after they release it they altered their recommendations to needing some sort of reinforcement kit above a 35. Wanting to make it work, I then purchased the Mopar bracket. Big mistake. First, I can't believe how overpriced that thing is. I'm not sure what it does but it's not much. My wheel/tire combo weighs in at 112 lbs. With the extra weight of the carrier and bracket, that's about 50 lbs over stock. I'm calling BS on the fact that this tailgate is rated for 85 lbs additional weight. The hinges are definitely the weak point. After numerous adjustments without what I would consider satisfactory results, I just don't think this is going to work. The tailgate sags about 1/4" and rattles over bumps. I just don't feel confident having the tailgate open and especially for any length of time. So, do I wait it out for Teraflex to get their shit together and release a hinge reinforcement? That's probably a year out considering how long it took them to release the carrier. Again. supper disappointed and pissed.
IMG_2723.JPG

IMG_2724.JPG

I adjusted the tailgate up to try and compensate for the increased weight. As you can see, it's sagging about 1/4". Body line was 1/8" above without spare. Now it's about 1/8" below.
IMG_2726.JPG

If you're thinking about this combo I would advise against it for 37's.

Last edited:

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Your Jeep looks Awesome!
Thanks for posting your build, especially the Dynatrac lift height details on the 2 Door. :like: Please keep us updated on your build progress.

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
I have the teraflex carrier on way arriving this week. Mounting AEV Borahs this week which weigh 41 pounds with 35x12.5x17 KM3s weighing in about 74 pounds. Now I'm wondering if 115 pounds on Teraflex carrier is going to be an issue...

Sponsored

FDXGUY

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I’m right ther with you, Irishtim. My tailgate is sagging as much as yours and twisted out about 1/4 on the top left. It’s BS and very frustrating.

773C3455-8531-4193-B333-36A27FAEC053.jpeg

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
First off - love the look of your jeep! I'm building something really similar.
Mine is a white 2-door Rubi as well. I did the Mopar 2" lift, and have put some 37" coopers with Method wheels. So I think our jeeps are sisters ;)

Regarding the tire carrier - I almost did the Mopar solution, I'm happy I didn't now that I see what happened on yours. I ordered the ACE Engineering tire carrier. I did a bunch of research and this seems to be by far the best tire carrier out there, without replacing your rear bumper. The lead time is 4-6 weeks, so I haven't gotten it yet. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it, but from everything I've researched, it looks like a great product. Its not much more expensive than the Mopar solution once you buy the reinforcement + the adjustment bracket.

Following your build! Whats the next stage?!?

I need to make one of these threads for myself.

Reactions: aai
OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the teraflex carrier on way arriving this week. Mounting AEV Borahs this week which weigh 41 pounds with 35x12.5x17 KM3s weighing in about 74 pounds. Now I'm wondering if 115 pounds on Teraflex carrier is going to be an issue...
Well, as you can see from my experience, I would have to say yes, it's going to be an issue. This illustrates another point that frustrates me about these companies. You have 35's and they clearly weigh more than my 37's. When manufacturers state "fits up to a 35" or "up to a 37" tire" That clearly doesn't mean jack shit. Give us a damn weight rating for your products.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m right ther with you, Irishtim. My tailgate is sagging as much as yours and twisted out about 1/4 on the top left. It’s BS and very frustrating.
Ouch! That sucks. What carrier are you running and is that pic of your tailgate closed?

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First off - love the look of your jeep! I'm building something really similar.
Mine is a white 2-door Rubi as well. I did the Mopar 2" lift, and have put some 37" coopers with Method wheels. So I think our jeeps are sisters ;)

Regarding the tire carrier - I almost did the Mopar solution, I'm happy I didn't now that I see what happened on yours. I ordered the ACE Engineering tire carrier. I did a bunch of research and this seems to be by far the best tire carrier out there, without replacing your rear bumper. The lead time is 4-6 weeks, so I haven't gotten it yet. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it, but from everything I've researched, it looks like a great product. Its not much more expensive than the Mopar solution once you buy the reinforcement + the adjustment bracket.

Following your build! Whats the next stage?!?

I need to make one of these threads for myself.
Thanks! Your Jeep ain't to shabby either :like:

I'm glad you're rethinking the Mopar kit. It may keep the sheet metal from flexing and warping over time but does nothing to address the hinges. IMO I just don't think they can handle it.

I'm looking at 3 options right now.
  1. The EVO tire carrier - in general I like it but what I don't like is how they dealt or didn't deal with the rear camera. It looks incomplete. It's also not spaced out further from the carrier which I'm not sure how that will affect the camera view with less back spaced wheels. It also doesn't completely cover the exposed unpainted metal after removing the factory hinges.
  2. The Maximus-3 tire carrier - I'm leaning towards this one. I don't particularly care for tubing on newer jeeps, but it's almost completely covered up by the wheel. I like the ability to mount accesories as I planned on carrying rotopax anyway. I need to see more detailed pics though. I'm not really sure how they are dealing with the brake light and camera.
  3. Wait for Teraflex to release a hinge solution and hope for the best?
Next up are front and rear bumpers and winch.

Sponsored

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
I'll have to live with the setup for now - I'm actually in middle of buy back from FCA right now. My current JLUR has mopar beadlocks with 35 inch K02s, I did in fact do the mopar reinforcement and relocation and haven't had any issues.

I'm hoping the teraflex carrier with Borahs and 35 inch KM3s will at least last long enough until teraflex comes out with a solution.

SONofHELGI

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Something that sounds technical, but it's not.
Hey guys, great Jeep irishtim7 and thanks for the info.

So I'm curious, is anyone who's had the Mopar reinforced tailgate installed as part of the build have sagging issues? Mine came from the factory, so curious if I'll have the same issue or not. I know on the surface the reinforcement bracket being installed during build or later shouldn't make a difference, but I've seen stranger things with Wranglers.

Thanks guys.

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Hey guys, great Jeep irishtim7 and thanks for the info.

So I'm curious, is anyone who's had the Mopar reinforced tailgate installed as part of the build have sagging issues? Mine came from the factory, so curious if I'll have the same issue or not. I know on the surface the reinforcement bracket being installed during build or later shouldn't make a difference, but I've seen stranger things with Wranglers.

Thanks guys.
i currently have the mopar reinforcement with relocation on my 18 JLUR with mopar beadlocks and 35 inch K02s - haven't had any issues yet but also doubt it's really doing anything.

i have a friend running 35 inch grapplers on fuel wheels with no reinforcement whatsoever and he's having zero issues.

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
Is there a reason you aren’t looking at the Ace carrier? It’s one of the few that actually bolt to then frame mounts of the JL. So it takes 100% of the tire/wheel weight off the tailgate and hinges. This was the selling point for me. It also looks decent, and adjusts to suit different backspacing/offset.

I was also looking at Evo, but i like the Ace connection better. Also I hate Evo’s logo cut into their product, tho Ace isn’t much better ha

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not a fan of Ace products in general. I feel the same way about the logos. Although I don’t mind the EVO logo. Actually think it’s kind of cool.

I talked to Teraflex today and they are in the engineering phase of their hinged bracket. You can bet that’s about a year away. I also talked with Maximus-3 and they are close to releasing theirs. I’m starting to dig it. Lots of options for accessories. I just need to see some more detailed pics. They have them. They just can’t release them yet.
Sponsored

Last edited: