CaseOfAle

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 981S, 19JLUS
Howdy, all -

I've been planning on a Winch install for the JLUS, so in preparation I watched all the videos I could find, ordered all the parts and when the weather cooperated I set about the install.

I was expecting challenges (seating the synthetic rope, Getting that last bolt on the bumper, wiring) but didn't expect this - The Sahara (and I assume all other non-R models) don't really have a front skid plate - it's more of a plastic air deflector.

This is mounted on a thin sheet metal panel that mounts to the frame rails with 2 vertical screws.

I chose the Warn winch plate, which requires the Rubi skid plate mounting bracket - which carries with it the need for additional captive nuts, nutserts, etc. style install.

Frustrated, I put the new steel bumper on but couldn't do anything else.. other than turn to the old internet and spend more money!

Found a great kit from Just For Jeeps, but we are now 10-days post "Missing all the right hardware" stage of the game and they haven't been able to ship - Not to be unexpected given the current situation. Short email correspondence confirms the delay. I chose to keep the order moving forward but intend to search for another supplier.

Then found some great threads here (no handy link, but they are here) specifically giving all the part numbers. This time I find myself on the moparpartsonline.com site - I expect they are unaffiliated, but they had everything - but now 5 days post order still has not shipped..

So I saw someone mention Quadratec, so I gave them a shot. Ordered all the referenced part numbers. and now, 24hrs later, have FedEx confirmation of shipping.

So at some point, I'll have 2 extra sets of Skid Plate mounting brackets and hardware ready for the next person tackling this project.

Never would have guessed Quadratec would (potentially - I shouldn't count my chickens before they've smelled the color seven) have everything in place to ship so quickly.

On the wiring, I went with the Warn power interrupt solenoid, followed all the hints online to wire up Aux4.. Now just waiting for the parts so I can get to the hard part of this install. Followed the HomeDepot angle iron bracket strategy, but choose the 1" angle aluminum. Cut and trimmed the bracket to mount the Solenoid and some new term blocks for the Aux switches, ground and future projects.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Winch Install IMG_4522
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
CaseOfAle

CaseOfAle

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 981S, 19JLUS
Quadratec delivered on time.

Has anyone dealt with these nut inserts? Do you know how to install them?
I imagine you set it in the hole of the frame, somehow hold the back with a small socket/wrench and tighten it up which causes it to somewhat collapse and sandwich the frame between the front flange and the portion of the cylindrical body that doesn't have threads.. much like those plastic drywall mounting things for screws in your wall..

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4531.jpg

OP
OP
CaseOfAle

CaseOfAle

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 981S, 19JLUS
So the frame holes are keyed to the shape of the nut. Cool.

Now the bolts provided are too short to engage the threads when the Warn plate mounts are used. I expect this is because I first have to set the nut into the frame tighten it down and that should pull the threads in allowing for the bolt to be used.

Does that sound correct?

IMG_4532.jpg

OP
OP
CaseOfAle

CaseOfAle

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 981S, 19JLUS
Lots of videos online for installation tips. This one helped explain the purpose of the "tool", which looks to apply the pressure to crush the nutsert without spinning it - that's the point of the nut and washers on the bolt.

I like the idea of greasing the threads to minimize any potential damage and possibly making it easier to remove. With that being said should I get another bolt from Lowes or HD to seat the nutserts into the frame, or is it safe to use the actual bolts that will mount the brackets?

Any experience with installing these on a non-rubi?

texasrugby911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S 2 Door
Lots of videos online for installation tips. This one helped explain the purpose of the "tool", which looks to apply the pressure to crush the nutsert without spinning it - that's the point of the nut and washers on the bolt.

I like the idea of greasing the threads to minimize any potential damage and possibly making it easier to remove. With that being said should I get another bolt from Lowes or HD to seat the nutserts into the frame, or is it safe to use the actual bolts that will mount the brackets?

Any experience with installing these on a non-rubi?
I actually just finished up installing the nutserts for my steel front bumper, and on the rear for my rear steel bumper install this weekend. I used the same bolt for installation of all the nutserts, and had no issues installing that bolt with the bumper. Ideally, using one to install the nutserts and using fresh bolts to mount the hardware would be best IMO, but again, I had no issues using the same bolt in mounting. Hope that helps.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CaseOfAle

CaseOfAle

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 981S, 19JLUS
I actually just finished up installing the nutserts for my steel front bumper, and on the rear for my rear steel bumper install this weekend. I used the same bolt for installation of all the nutserts, and had no issues installing that bolt with the bumper. Ideally, using one to install the nutserts and using fresh bolts to mount the hardware would be best IMO, but again, I had no issues using the same bolt in mounting. Hope that helps.
Thanks! Did you torque the nut down to seat the nutsert or did you just do it by feel? Is it obvious when it is set properly?

texasrugby911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S 2 Door
You're supposed to torque it down to 9Nm, but I do not have a torque wrench, so I just did it by feel. On mine there is a metal piece under the plastic bumper air dam that is held on by the same screws and nutserts, so I used my fingers to compare the crimp to the ones already there and the ones I was installing. Here is a picture from the Mopar skid install instructions for reference.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Winch Install 1591915316997

OP
OP
CaseOfAle

CaseOfAle

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 981S, 19JLUS
You're supposed to torque it down to 9Nm, but I do not have a torque wrench, so I just did it by feel. On mine there is a metal piece under the plastic bumper air dam that is held on my the same screws and nutserts, so I just my fingers to compare the crimp to the ones already there and the ones I was installing. Here is a picture from the Mopar skid install instructions for reference.
That is an excellent reference! thank you again!

texasrugby911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S 2 Door
Side note: That nutsert tool definitely helps install the regular circular nutserts, but the hexagonal shape of the hole and nutsert itself makes it to where you do not have to have the installation tool to get the job done on the JLs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CaseOfAle

CaseOfAle

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 981S, 19JLUS
Got her done today.

I caught a mention of mounting the fairlead before putting the bumper on... No - The fiarlead also bolts to the winch plate. Bolts were too short to go through the fairlead, license plate holder, bumper and winch plate - So I improvised.

The two bottom bolts for the skid obviously wouldn't fit since everything was 1/4" forward - I expected this and a few minutes with a file opened the mounting holes to make everything fit.

The ground lead from the winch was the only one without a protective cover; found one in my parts pile and installed that, was a pita with the winch in place. Turns out that extra cover was for the solenoid battery port.

Wired the solenoid up to Aux4, Snaked the cables up inside the body mount by the radiators and air box, then under that brace and to the solenoid and battery.

Had no real trouble with any of the bolts, but that's probably because I went with the VR EVO 12S, so there was probably more room on the sides than all the videos with the Zeon installs.

61376015846__347F6E3E-1134-400E-A410-F4FB5C9C82C7.JPG

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Howdy, all -

I've been planning on a Winch install for the JLUS, so in preparation I watched all the videos I could find, ordered all the parts and when the weather cooperated I set about the install.

I was expecting challenges (seating the synthetic rope, Getting that last bolt on the bumper, wiring) but didn't expect this - The Sahara (and I assume all other non-R models) don't really have a front skid plate - it's more of a plastic air deflector.

This is mounted on a thin sheet metal panel that mounts to the frame rails with 2 vertical screws.

I chose the Warn winch plate, which requires the Rubi skid plate mounting bracket - which carries with it the need for additional captive nuts, nutserts, etc. style install.

Frustrated, I put the new steel bumper on but couldn't do anything else.. other than turn to the old internet and spend more money!

Found a great kit from Just For Jeeps, but we are now 10-days post "Missing all the right hardware" stage of the game and they haven't been able to ship - Not to be unexpected given the current situation. Short email correspondence confirms the delay. I chose to keep the order moving forward but intend to search for another supplier.

Then found some great threads here (no handy link, but they are here) specifically giving all the part numbers. This time I find myself on the moparpartsonline.com site - I expect they are unaffiliated, but they had everything - but now 5 days post order still has not shipped..

So I saw someone mention Quadratec, so I gave them a shot. Ordered all the referenced part numbers. and now, 24hrs later, have FedEx confirmation of shipping.

So at some point, I'll have 2 extra sets of Skid Plate mounting brackets and hardware ready for the next person tackling this project.

Never would have guessed Quadratec would (potentially - I shouldn't count my chickens before they've smelled the color seven) have everything in place to ship so quickly.

On the wiring, I went with the Warn power interrupt solenoid, followed all the hints online to wire up Aux4.. Now just waiting for the parts so I can get to the hard part of this install. Followed the HomeDepot angle iron bracket strategy, but choose the 1" angle aluminum. Cut and trimmed the bracket to mount the Solenoid and some new term blocks for the Aux switches, ground and future projects.
Did you feel the need to install any spacers. Was there any noticeable sag in the front due to the weight?
Sponsored