Sponsored

Sahara or Rubicon?

Is it worth it to get Rubicon over Sahara if you only do basic dirt trails. Not Rock Crawling.

• Total voters

BaldEagle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon jl
Help me decide guys. Love the rubicon looks but is it worth it if. Is it worth it to get Rubicon over Sahara if you only do basic dirt trails. Not Rock Crawling.
If you get the Sarah you will Question your self every time you see a Rubicon . Also test drove both going with Rubicon not even close the Rubicon drive is better coming out of BMW X5
Sponsored

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I like the understated look of the Sahara a lot more. Has a sense of class to it. That said, I went w/ the Rubicon because I'm coming from a Range Rover, which was great on-road and surprisingly decent off-road, but I wanted as much of a change as possible.

JeepJLNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid
I think the ride quality on the Sahara is noticeably better, but if your getting a Wrangler for ride quality, your probably in the wrong vehicle.

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Buy a Sahara and you question yourself everytime you see a Rubicon.

Buy a Rubicon and you question yourself everytime you see a Sahara said no one ever.

Ha.
If I bought an $800K house would I question myself because I didnā€™t by the $1Mil House? No. Because I didnā€™t need all that extra space. Sure it looks better but now I donā€™t have to worry about the higher property taxes or all the extra space I now have to upkeep. Also I just saved myself $200k.

Every person is at a different point in their life and have different wants and needs.

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Well between the Sahara and rubicon weā€™re only talking $3k-$4k more in cost or even same cost depending on options, not $200k. Iā€™m just speaking from experience. I had a 2015 JKU and dropped $5k in upgrades. In the end I had a really nice built Jeep, but wish I would have gotten a Rubicon because of the lockers, swaybar disco, etc. I didnā€™t think I needed it when I got the JKU, but after wheeling a bit and realizing what I could do with the options the Rubicon gave me I told myself the next Jeep I get will be a Rubicon.

Saharaā€™s are nice, I just think the Rubicon is just as nice but adds some additional options that could be needed at some point as you start to explore what the Jeep can do and where it can take you.

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Well between the Sahara and rubicon weā€™re only talking $3k-$4k more in cost or even same cost depending on options, not $200k. Iā€™m just speaking from experience. I had a 2015 JKU and dropped $5k in upgrades. In the end I had a really nice built Jeep, but wish I would have gotten a Rubicon because of the lockers, swaybar disco, etc. I didnā€™t think I needed it when I got the JKU, but after wheeling a bit and realizing what I could do with the options the Rubicon gave me I told myself the next Jeep I get will be a Rubicon.

Saharaā€™s are nice, I just think the Rubicon is just as nice but adds some additional options that could be needed at some point as you start to explore what the Jeep can do and where it can take you.
So Rubiconā€™s are great for Rock Crawling and no one can deny that itā€™s the best trim level for that purpose. But for the daily driver thatā€™s where things get tricky. A Sahara or Sport (S) could be perfectly suited for a daily driver while still getting the updated looks and performance of a modern Wrangler. Just trying to clarify before anyone gets the idea that they need a Rubicon when a lower level trim could fit their needs if they donā€™t Rock Crawl, which is what this thread was started for.

***Unless youā€™re considering a Sahara and want the Rubicon looks then yea a few more grand will be cheaper than the aftermarket + installation.

CashMonkey

First Name
Rolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grey 2009 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 5SPDMT Black 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Sedan 6SPDAT
Vehicle Showcase
I only need a truck bed 3 to 4 times a year IF I have time off to hunt/camp that often. So I coldn't justify buying a truck. Same thing with the Rubicon. No exreme offroading where I am, so why would I need a Rubicon?

Deep snow, forest trails, hunting trails, camp trails, and farmers roads. At the same time be a daily driver. It's a no brainer, I got a Sahara, at the end of the day they're both Wranglers, one just happens to be suited for more off road capability.

CashMonkey

First Name
Rolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grey 2009 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 5SPDMT Black 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Sedan 6SPDAT
Vehicle Showcase
Help me decide guys. Love the rubicon looks but is it worth it if. Is it worth it to get Rubicon over Sahara if you only do basic dirt trails. Not Rock Crawling.
All these people saying if you get the Sahara you'll wish you got the Rubicon HA! Not even a little bit.

Do you need a disconnecting sway bar, front and rear lockers for basic dirt roads? Nope. So why would you buy a vehicle thats equipped with things, you'll likely never use? These people probably need those things, for the type of offroading they do; but if you don't do any of the stuff they do then why bother? You want to spend 40 to 50k on a vehicle equipped for future "what ifs" end of the day thats your money, your call. But I would suggest the Sahara.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
In a way I wish theyā€™d make a Wrangler that looked as aggressive as the Rubicon minus the off road goodies that it comes with. However you can make a Sahara look pretty aggressive with some simple bolt ons.

Maybe theyā€™ll come out with some special editions later.

Iā€™m one of those who said you may wish you got a Rubicon down the road, but it all depends on what you think your future will hold. Maybe you get the Sahara now and then trade it in later for a Rubicon as Iā€™m sure there will be many updates to this model down the road like with the JK. I plan to get a second one in about 3-4 years, probably a base sport so I can build it up. Also wish theyā€™d make a base sport with the sway bar disco, axles, and lockers, but thatā€™s a pipe dream.

I think youā€™ll be fine with a Sahara. I really enjoyed my JKU freedom edition when I had it and it was very capable in the snow, mountains, and moderate off-roading. Hell, a properly built sport could out perform a rubicon any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Sponsored

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I would also disagree with those saying you will be disappointed every time you see a Rubicon. Those are all people who really want a Rubicon. If that's you, then you probably will be disappointed. I'm going to order a Sahara because one of our main uses will be driving up to the mountains with rapidly changing road conditions. I still plan to go off-road, but am not interested in rock crawling. I will use it as a daily driver and I've heard the on-road manners are a little better. The wife and I want a real open air convertible, so the luxury SUV crowd can't provide me another option there. To me the Sahara fits the bill pretty well - because I'm going to be disappointed if I'm missing some of the capabilities mentioned above. I do wish is didn't come with the stupid tires that I will have to sell and replace - because they look silly on a Jeep, and I do plan to go off-road.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
I am buying the Jeep for a specific use. Going topless is one of the biggies, I will use on light trails, tow behind my bus. Generally use it to get to out of the way places to absorb the beauty and to hike. To go the desert and mountains outside San Diego, and to have something to go to the grocery when on a trip with the coach. I have no interest in rock crawling. I have a sand buggy for radical off road stuff, and rock crawling is a down grade from that.

The extra weight is not good either for fuel mileage or being towed, lockers are a drawback for most of the roads I'll be on, don't need the sway bar disconnect, lower gear ratio is not needed and is actually a drawback for the type of driving I will be doing.

I do like the more aggressive styling of the Rubi, and the hood too.

One of my buddies has offered to pay for the upgrade to a Rubi, but all and all, the purchase needs to reflect how I will be using it.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I get that the sahara makes a lot more sense for most people. Myself included. Full-time 4WD would be very convenient in the winter, and I probably won't hit trails harder than a sahara could handle. So, to the point of "buy what you need," I most likely don't need a rubicon, and I'd argue that the majority who buy one probably don't need it either.*

BUT, I need to walk up to it every day. And as beautiful as a sahara is, I just would end up disappointed. I think the difference wasn't as pronounced on the JK, where the rubicon didn't look as vastly different (hard rock/recon aside). But on the JL, the rubicon is it's own beast. So, I say logic be damned! Get the rubi and love life!

*I don't get buying a rubi and immediately modding it. If you're going to mod the crap out of it immediately, why not get a sport and start with a clean slate? Can somebody explain that to me?

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Recon & 2017 TACO 4WD OFF ROAD
Occupation
Retired
I think the ride quality on the Sahara is noticeably better, but if your getting a Wrangler for ride quality, your probably in the wrong vehicle.
I totally agree with you about the difference in ride quality between Sahara and Rubi. I've had both JKUR and JLUR and ride quality was never a factor in my decision to buy these vehicles and it still escapes me why this topic is even a factor. I love the rough ride of my Rubi's because it's a Jeep and expect nothing less. IMO, those who even consider ride comfort when considering a Jeep should look for something else. Rougher the better. :)
Sponsored