Sponsored

To Leather or not to Leather on the Sahara/Rubicon?

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
Had leather in my 2010 JKUR and cloth in my 2014 JKUR... love the leather in my JLUR and we actually had Katskin installed in the wife’s car....
Sponsored

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
cloth.

you can upgrade to quality leather (katzkin) and the added benefit of not having quite the generic look, all for about the same price as the option. I ordered cloth because katzkins have color combinations that will mesh with the vehicle. if all-black is your thing they have that. if pattern is your thing - they have that.

if you're in the south, leather gets hot and Jeep hasn't figured out yet they should air-cool leather seats. Your car sitting out in 90-100 degree heat and direct sun - those seats get hot-hot. sucks in shorts (which is what you're wearing in the first place when it's hot). Cloth still gets hot but it doesn't sear your legs like a Weber.

It's the same story as the steel-bumper group. You can find after-market parts of arguably better quality, that also add a personal taste to your Jeep, for about the cost (sometimes less, sometimes more) of the factory options.

If you're leasing - add the leather, add the bumper, and anything else you're going to want because you won't put options on after. But if you plan to buy and own your Jeep - and own it for more than a couple years - it's definitely worth hand-selecting the specific type of options from aftermarket you want where you can. One thing Jeep has going for it is huge aftermarket support.

or - for the cost of dropping the leather seats and infotainment system - you could get a Rubicon. depending on your intentions, that might be the best upgrade of all.
I looked into going with katskins on my JLUR and I did like the look of them but the price was 700 more then what I paid for factory in Chicago anyways

RedJKU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Please don’t do leather. See my post and picture of wrinkled sagging seat bottom on Rubicon JLU with just 400 miles. Dealer claims it’s normal???!

If you do leather you will regret it. I do since they seem unwilling to make it right.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
Please don’t do leather. See my post and picture of wrinkled sagging seat bottom on Rubicon JLU with just 400 miles. Dealer claims it’s normal???!

If you do leather you will regret it. I do since they seem unwilling to make it right.
To late for me I ordered it in February but thanks for warning

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
2 big Golden Retrievers ==> Leather. My current '13 JKU Sahara has very comfortable cloth seats, but the dog hair clings to the seating material like it's magnetic. Leather is also easier to wipe clean than the cloth. Never again.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

If you are having trouble with your dealers you should PM @JeepCares

jeepfreak

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't originally want leather to keep costs down, but now having second thoughts as it might be easier to keep clean. What are y'all's thoughts?
I ALWAYS do leather (cars, sofas, chairs whatever) because of kids and dogs.

The J)eepstate

First Name
Agent G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 3.6 Auto
Occupation
duck around and find out
I'd rather throw PRP vinyl covers on a bunch of cloth than leather seats:CWL:

JK cloth seats neither held up long or well to jeans rivets and the male velcro-side of my cargo pants. Having seen nothing but wrecked leather-seats in Jeeps all my life, I ordered the covers for the JL before I even brought it home. (had leather package because had to scoop up one of the last direct import 3.6ers round here, would've never configured that myself).

Zebulon

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
If you’re gonna off-road at all, keep the vehicle a long time, or have kids, leather is an absolute must. Once dust or spills get on cloth seats, it’s pretty much there forever. Leather cleans up so much better.

look at 20+ year old vehicles. Leather usually still looks perfect, while cloth seats show wear and have stains and odors.

Cloth is only suitable for people with an impeccably clean lifestyle. If you ever expect a sweaty back while driving, remember that sweat will soak through your shirt and into the cloth seat.