Sponsored

Rust Protection Standard?

massems

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR - build
Hey all,

Im new to the wrangler scene (absolutely love it) and live in the North East. The salt along with the moisture build up during the winter just destroys undercarriages. I just purchased my wrangler a few weeks ago and was wondering does the car come with any basic rust protection or undercoat film from the factory? I am planning on coating it with fluid film in the next few days but I just don't want to put something on that'll potentially take off any standard coat from the factory.

Thanks a ton for your input!
Sponsored

Amric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Rubicon, 2018 JL Rubicon
I just power wash the underside each spring and then touch it up with rustoleum spray paint. Have a TJ going on 16 years old and look great underneath. I live in Michigan, so lots of snow and salt.

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
I don't believe there's any rust protection from the factory. l got corrosion free sprayed under mine. Sprayed fluid film under my YJ and that works really good but corrosion free has lifetime warranty (for new vehicles) as long as you respray every year.

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
My first Mod was to take a trip to NH to the Rust Stop to get their Wax Oil sprayed underneath. They will spray a one time coating underneath and each year spray between the doors. It's like a black tar and is somewhat self healing. After a few weeks it turns into a kind of a hardened wax. Both my Ram and Rubicon got the treatment. It's a overnight job but a car rental is just down the road and is cheep. Most of the other rust treatments are yearly. For the most part I'm more concerned about the underside and forgo the yearly panel treatments.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I take mine to lineX and get undercoating. Plus, it's under their warranty if any rust occurs.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
They come with nothing and rust fast. Here in the Chicagoland area, it is not uncommon for there to be rust on the undercarriage while still on the dealer lot...

tonythehomie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sport S (manual / 2 door / firecracker red)
They come with nothing and rust fast. Here in the Chicagoland area, it is not uncommon for there to be rust on the undercarriage while still on the dealer lot...
Wow that is nuts. I thought CT was bad

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Jerry Lundegaard said his boss would knock $100 off the TruCoat.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I don't believe there's any rust protection from the factory. l got corrosion free sprayed under mine. Sprayed fluid film under my YJ and that works really good but corrosion free has lifetime warranty (for new vehicles) as long as you respray every year.

The new 2018 Jeep Wrangler’s body-on-frame design is bolstered by eight body mounts on two-door models and 10 on the four-door. A fully boxed frame utilizes high-strength steel in all critical areas and hydroformed sections of the front rails set a strong foundation to better handle the front suspension load. Galvanized frame components are utilized for improved corrosion protection. In total, five boxed cross members are used on Wrangler.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
go under and paint away, first thing I did and rust proofed

IMG_1415.JPG

IMG_1416.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1418.JPG

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I would just pressure wash and use black spray paint as well. Especially with a vehicle so easy to get under.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Just wash and maintain. Oil & Wax traps all the crap.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mine right off the lot has a little rust on some of the nuts and bolts under the Jeep.
Pisses me off..
This is an old refrain on many brands - underbody rust from the factory. Read just about any car brand forum and you see bitching about this. Most car experts, like Goss' Garage, say that is surface rust and don't worry about it. Periodic washing of the underside is all that is needed. My JK is 7 years old had some minor rusting of some underbody components from the beginning and it is fine. Have never had any of my 28 vehicles have any problem with underbody rust and they have all been in salt states. Now years ago rust was a problem in rocker panels, doors, cowls but I don't think that is as much of a problem these days with better materials and corrosion coatings from the factory. But this salt brine that many places use may change that. The American Trucking Associations did a study and found the brine gets deeper into electric components and other equipment causing rust. Plus leaves that film on the paint that won't wash off.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I have an inexpensive sprayer that fits on my garden hose. It has a small plastic soap dispenser attached to it. In the Spring,
after a good under body wash...I fill the dispenser with a product called Salt-Away. I spray the product all over the under body and try to spray into all gaps and structural holes. I then rinse it off and let it air dry over night. If I see actual abrasion such as stone chips, etc. I spray on a good primer followed by a protective layer such as Rustoleum. I finish by spraying on a coating such as fluid film. Equally important, I check and clean out the drain holes in the door bottoms...you won't believe how much crud can collect in the bottom of the doors.

I live in Minnesota and have several vehicles that are driven daily on salty winter roads. But I don't have any rust. When I traded in a 12 year old Toyota daily driver, the sales person first thought I had brought in a car from Arizona...it was so rust free.
Sponsored