Sponsored

Thoughts on Rust-proofing, undercoating, paint protection?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thanks for the info! Made my appointment at a Carwell in Buffalo. I don't even have the Jeep yet but they're already booking out to December so figured I'd make the appointment in hopes I have the Jeep. Price seems very reasonable and it will give me some piece of mind without going overboard.

When you have yours done, do you allow them to drill in the frame/doors? I'm not sure I'm keen on the idea of drilling holes in my new Jeep. The person I spoke to said I could have it done without the drilling if I wanted to and they would just spray the bottom areas and get wherever they could in the frame without drilling.
Time Flies ! Over a year has passed, did you get your Jeep done ? And beyond late, drilling holes and spraying into body cavities a must. The metallic salts being used on roads make Corrosion Protection a must, salt was mild compared to the " new" deicers.
Sponsored

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
I just got my first Jeep, so I might be off base here. However, I 've always kept my cars until they blow up. Never got rust proofing and never had an issue with rust. Modern vehicles seem pretty resistant to rust right out of the factory.
Seriously?!..have you seen the truck beds around the rear wheel wells in the northeast?.... Everyone has a rust problem, including mine. The bed needed to be replaced it was so bad.

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
I called my local linex dealer . He said they have process , different from the traditional bed liner spray . If applied within 90 days of taking delivery of new vehicle they offer a lifetime warranty against rust . One time application .

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Seriously?!..have you seen the truck beds around the rear wheel wells in the northeast?.... Everyone has a rust problem, including mine. The bed needed to be replaced it was so bad.
I've never owned a truck. Just cars, SUVs, and now a Jeep. never had a rust issue, but all my rides are garaged when not in use and I don't drive a ton. Also, I get car washes at least 1x per month in the winter to wash off what I can.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
97 TJ single owner, 200k no rust driven in CO winters. No protection. CO area (where the TJ is used) doesn't use salt... if you're in a humid/climate where salt is used, it's probably a good practice. Though in Ohio I was able to keep rust off the Cherokee for 16 years w/o issue.

Sponsored

AlexM90

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara 2021
Winter is coming! 🥶

I guess this one isn't easy to answer because the JL's haven't been around long enough to know. We're all aware the frame on previous gens is a thing to look at when selling/buying.

In my experience, I have used the Krown service (with the hole drilling) just one time on another vehicle when I bought it new in 2009. Compared to others of the same model and year l see on the road today I'm very happy with the condition mine is in. Of course though, regular cleaning/waxing on top of this will help.

I'm gonna schedule an appointment before it get's salty here. Anyone else have any other recommendations or positive experiences with other services like Krown? (In Toronto)

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
So I used to live in Vermont. Where cars just rust to hell. I had a Jeep Patriot I kept for 7 years. I never did anything to it other than washing the undercarriage during winter , and it was fine. I honestly don't think rust proofing is worth it unless keeping a vehicle for a very long time. The car was also parked outdoors.

I always asked my mechanic, how does it look? and he always said it was fine. and it was. sold it to carmax and they didnt even care about the undercarriage. It didn't look bad though.

I am not against rustproofing though, it isn't expensive and worth it long term. I know 5~7 years 100k miles sounds long term for people who change cars like theyre socks. But it isn't. 100k miles is nothing lol. and 5~7 years is pretty standard and that car has a long life ahead. You're mostly doing it for whoever buys your Jeep. If you sell private party, people do tend to look more for rust. And they don't know wtf theyre doing lol. But if they see a lot of dark orange, theyll move on.

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
Have a new JLRU Wrangler on order and it's the first vehicle I'm buying where I actually plan to keep it for awhile....Hopefully at least 6-7 years and around 100,000 miles or something. In the past, I've always been a 3-5 year guy and I've moved on. This is a vehicle I've wanted for quite awhile though and planning to enjoy it for longer if I can.

Anyways, looking for thoughts on the various vehicle preservation things out there. I've never spent any money on this type of stuff in the past since I never realyl cared about what I was driving but just wondering if any Wrangler owners have? I live in the Northeast where rust, snow, salt can be an issue and wondering if I should be taking any extra steps.

I started out looking at services that Ziebart offers but the more research I do, the more mixed reviews I see. I see many saying the undercoating just makes a mess and rust protection smells bad and they drill holes in your vehicle. And their paint protection stuff is pretty expensive....$600 for diamond gloss and about double that for ceramic treatment. So I don't know what I want to do. I have to wonder how much of this is over-priced gimmicks.

Just wondering if any Wrangler owners had any advice on this stuff. Anything worth the money? Any alternatives you've found? I'm not a guy that's going to wash my Jeep every week or something. It'll be my main vehicle, driven year around through all seasons. I also don't anticipate much off roading and not worried about scratches, mud, etc.

Would appreciate any thoughts people might have and what's worked for you for any of these things.
So did you ever did rustproofing, whatever you do don't get undercoating is not good just do rustproofing and you can do this yourself and make sure wash jeep under specially inside frame and specially got hit snow and salt wash it right away.
Sponsored