jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
Hey all,

Im new to the wrangler scene (absolutely love it) and live in the North East. The salt along with the moisture build up during the winter just destroys undercarriages. I just purchased my wrangler a few weeks ago and was wondering does the car come with any basic rust protection or undercoat film from the factory? I am planning on coating it with fluid film in the next few days but I just don't want to put something on that'll potentially take off any standard coat from the factory.

Thanks a ton for your input!
Use eastwood rust company.
Sponsored

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
I don't believe there's any rust protection from the factory. l got corrosion free sprayed under mine. Sprayed fluid film under my YJ and that works really good but corrosion free has lifetime warranty (for new vehicles) as long as you respray every year.
Is there a reason why you use fluid film over eastwood?

GAGT

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4Xe, 19 TM3P, 02 Ford HD, 01 GAGT
Here is what work for me. I order my cars/jeeps, pick them up at local dealer(pays to buy local, store is around the corner and gives excellent service, free loaners for any servive on any car, new or out of warranty) and bring them right home.

power wash under side, allow to dry. Pull all the inner liners out.

Paint everything under neath with Eastwoods Rust encapsulator paint and then top coat with their chasis black epoxy, do all the floors and suspension. Also use their paintable seam sealer on floor pan seems where they overlap. I use their inner frame coating ( Zinc phenolic) inside all the rocker boxes and frames. Cans come with a wand. Then I finish with waxy coating I bought at PSC, spray it on everything

https://petroleumservicecompany.com/undercoating-in-a-can-black-wax-coating/

I use Rustoleum aluminum paint on all the aluminum underneath

lastly I use Fluid film with a wand to flood all the lower doors, tailgate and respray inside the frames, rockers.

Time consuming PITA to do this but if you do it correctly from the get go when new and everything is clean, it works well.

I also use eastwoods caliper paint and do the calipers. Pull the unit bearings out and put some grease behind them so down the road can get them out of the hubs for replacement.

Also take all connectors apart and put dielectic grease in them for corrosion. On all negative chasis grounds, use liquid electrical tape, and dab on the ends where the eye loops are so corrosion doesnt start.

Things like this will help avert all the stupid little problems that crop up.
You must be a garage mechanic for some car collection? That's some serious dedication.

Mike_Hawk

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GOBI JLUR 3.6
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Clubs

Just wash and maintain. Oil & Wax traps all the crap.
That is categorically untrue, I'm not sure about wax but oil treatments definitely don't trap salt and crap

RAD1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Willys V6 6MT w SOT Anvil
Occupation
Engineer
Hey fellas, figure it would be good to post in this thread as it's 5 yrs old to see how your rigs are holding up based on those who used fluid film vs. linex vs. eastwood vs. just undercarriage wash? I pick up my new Jeep in 2 weeks and want it to last.

I looked at this 2018 w 40k miles for another forum member who wasn't local and this is what I'd like to avoid. The salt use here in MA kills the undercarriages.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rust Protection Standard? IMG-3797

Jeep Wrangler JL Rust Protection Standard? IMG-3798

Jeep Wrangler JL Rust Protection Standard? IMG-3799
Sponsored