Rubicon Trail Prep, Equipment & Mods

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm thinking I want to run the Rubicon for a bucket list of sorts. I have a 2018 JLUR, stock suspension, Warn 10S, some recovery gear, SteerSmarts tierod draglink, front trackbar & Synergy rear trackbar, OEM cast iron steering box. But the thing I'm probably more concerned about is "under armor". I have Rock Hard step/rock rails. But underneath is stock. I think I'd like to protect some critical parts like the oil pan, auto trans pan, etc. I also don't want to put another 300-400 lbs on it.

Where to start and how far to go? For perspective, my goal is the trail, not the building of a Jeep.
Sponsored

Last edited:

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I'm thinking I want to run the Rubicon for a bucket list of sorts. I have a 2018 JLUR, stock suspension, Warn 10S, some recovery gear, SteerSmarts tierod draglink, front trackbar & Synergy rear trackbar, OEM cast iron steering box. But the thing I'm probably more concerned about is "under armor". I have Rock Hard step/rock rails. But underneath is stock. I think I'd like to protect some critical parts like the oil pan, auto trans pan, etc. I also don't want to put another 300-400 lbs on it.

Where to start and how far to go? For perspective, my goal is the trail, not the building of a Jeep.
What size tire? 35" at a minimum.

Def get the metal cloak rear diff skid. Bring everything you need to repair a flat.

You won't need anything else. Just pick your lines carefully. The trail really isn't that difficult. It's a 6 or 7, 10 if wet.

You could add a power steering cooler. That trail likes to overheat the electric steering system in the JL. It's happened to me each time I've done it.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Good information on the steering cooler. I would not have guessed that one.

I'm on OEM 33s right now. I had not wanted to go to 35s, but I'm open to other perspectives.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer

I'm on OEM 33s right now. I had not wanted to go to 35s, but I'm open to other perspectives.
I would definitely go with the 35's. You'll appreciate the extra little bit of breakover you gain from it.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I would definitely go with the 35's. You'll appreciate the extra little bit of breakover you gain from it.
I really didn't want to lift it. Can I get away without a lift?
Have you settled on a steering cooler?

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I really didn't want to lift it. Can I get away without a lift?
Have you settled on a steering cooler?
A lift required, no.

However, the obvious answer is - A lift would make things easier and safer for you and the Jeep.

It's a risk mitigation thought process you must go through.

If you're not lifting it, then 35's would be a must. There are sections of the trail where a stock unit on 33's loaded down with gear is going to struggle.

Any inline cooler will work. There a few kits out there. I never put a cooler on mine since I sold that Jeep and the Jeep I have now has a PSC Hydo kit on it. (Comes with a cooler.)

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Technically speaking, you can run the Rubicon in a stock Jeep...hence the 'Trail Rated' badge on it.

I was with a group that ran it a few years back, in the lead Jeep. I was hired to film the event for a well known Jeep builder. Most of the 16 Jeeps in our group were extremely well built. I think what you'll find is that you will be getting hung up a lot. For armor, I'd do the T-Case and gas tank. That mid Jeep area is where you will make the most contact as well as your sliders. Consider doing aluminum skids to keep the weight in check and not further lowering the Jeep via weight.

Airing down will be a must, the granite mixed with the fine silt on the trail makes the boulders slippery (no traction). Having an air compressor would be great. I suspect your winch will be getting a good work out at certain points along the trail. Be well versed on using it safely.

Amazing trail and experience! Don't attempt this trail solo.

Here's a link to the video that will highlight the trail/experience.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

-Steven

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

You can go to 285/75R17 KO2s, which measure 33.9x11.2 inches.

It’s essentially the same tire you have right now, but 1.2 inches taller. That’ll net you an extra 0.6 inch of clearance under the differential, without having to change anything else. They’d retain your existing tread width, and you can reuse your existing wheels. You’d have to recalibrate your speedo.

You shouldn’t see much change in your fuel consumption either. I’d guess a drop of 1.0-1.5 MPG at most.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2/p/41320

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Not sure if you saw this thread. Mostly stock.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hells-revenge-in-a-mostly-stock-rubicon.90621/

Sponsored

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
You can go to 285/75R17 KO2s, which measure 33.9x11.2 inches.

It’s essentially the same tire you have right now, but 1.2 inches taller. That’ll net you an extra 0.6 inch of clearance under the differential, without having to change anything else. They’d retain your existing tread width, and you can reuse your existing wheels. You’d have to recalibrate your speedo.

You shouldn’t see much change in your fuel consumption either. I’d guess a drop of 1.0-1.5 MPG at most.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2/p/41320
The 285/75R17 KO2 is E load range (ie 10 ply). Will ride harsh. Stock KO2s are C load range (6 ply).

Toyo and Nitto I believe make a C load range 285/75R17.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The 285/75R17 KO2 is E load range (ie 10 ply). Will ride harsh. Stock KO2s are C load range (6 ply).

Toyo and Nitto I believe make a C load range 285/75R17.
Nah, it won’t. I’ve driven plenty of Wranglers on E-load tires, including my current JL on 35s; they ride perfectly fine.

As long as you stick to AT tires and keep them below 35 PSI, you’ll be just fine.

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
Nah, it won’t. I’ve driven plenty of Wranglers on E-load tires, including my current JL on 35s; they ride perfectly fine.

As long as you stick to AT tires and keep them below 35 PSI, you’ll be just fine.
If that’s truly the case I may need to look into these myself for a bit more clearance over stock without a lift.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If that’s truly the case I may need to look into these myself for a bit more clearance over stock without a lift.
On my fullsize GMC, I went from Load Range C to E tires and really never noted a harsher ride. YMMV

Reactions: J0E

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
I find a good spotter is all i need on the trail... 🤔

78e0e778f782cb53faa5e6207fb3e03c.jpg
Sponsored