Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't aware of that. But for a person that doesn't want to manage going in and out of 2 wd/4 wd for mixed conditions, that would be a configuration worth having.
Rubiconā€™s key weakness, in my experience, is that in variable winter conditions the rear remains, for all intents and purposes, an open differential. Even with the full-time Rock-Trac.

The beauty of the Selec-Trac is that the rear LSD and the BLD are ALWAYS working together.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon or willys ???? 123ABAE5-3FEB-42D2-9EE2-0E1E04207D0E

CAVEAT: both full-time 4WD systems, Selec-Trac and Rock-Trac, are clutch-actuated. Which means you ought to shift into part-time mode as soon as you hit the trail to avoid overheating the clutch pack.

Donā€™t ask how I know... šŸ˜«

JeepGirl18

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4XE
I have a 21 Rubicon as a daily driver and love it. I test drove a Willys too and really liked it a lot but after adding everything I wanted plus Katzkin leather I wasn't saving that much money. The Rubicon actually drives smoother to me. Maybe I got lucky but mine doesn't wander at all not even at highway speeds. It's easy to drive. It's very comfortable even on long trips. I live in CO so winter driving was a big concern for me. I do have the full time 4wd and our roads are plowed pretty good in my area so hoping I don't miss the LSD. This is my first Jeep and I was a little nervous after reading about how noisy they are and how much they wander but my Rubicon is way more comfortable that my traditional Chevy SUV was.

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
Hi, just my 2 cents. I bought a 21' JLUR and while it looks great it's a terrible daily driver. I suspect that the Willy's would be as well with the MT tires it comes with and the lack of standard creature comforts. If I were to do it again I'd buy a Sahara.. I've had the unfortunate experience of being without my Jeep due to an accident recently and the rental car company gave me a. Saraha. It drives much smoother with much better pickup due to the street tires and less weight over the nose (I regrettably bought a Deisel). Driving on huge MT tires with the Rubicon suspension in suburban or highway traffic is rough. And they stop/brake much worse with those setups as well. Do I sound bitter? :)
You should sell it while the market is in your favor, and get what you want.

Last edited:

parris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I would say that it all comes to how you option your unit.

Like in any other car line up, the Rubicon is a higher trim and with that, is a more "equipped" Jeep from factory (auto a/c, 4x4 features, etc). With same options I think nobody can argue that the Rubicon is more desirable

However, when you are talking about different configurations things can get really close. I have a '20 JLU Willys that I bought new almost 2 years ago now. Back then, there was only one Willys package that already included led head and fog lights and I added the technology group, the safety group, hard top, metallic paint, 2.0T and auto trans. With the same MSRP, you could get a Rubicon... but with no extras, V6, manual, soft top, no leds front or rear, no BLS, etc.

If you are going to mainly daily driver it, I think that the equipment and options come to play an important role, even more than the 4x4

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Rubiconā€™s key weakness, in my experience, is that in variable winter conditions the rear remains, for all intents and purposes, an open differential. Even with the full-time Rock-Trac.

The beauty of the Selec-Trac is that the rear LSD and the BLD are ALWAYS working together.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon or willys ???? 123ABAE5-3FEB-42D2-9EE2-0E1E04207D0E

CAVEAT: both full-time 4WD systems, Selec-Trac and Rock-Trac, are clutch-actuated. Which means you ought to shift into part-time mode as soon as you hit the trail to avoid overheating the clutch pack.

Donā€™t ask how I know... šŸ˜«
If I was in the situation in that picture, I'd probably have it in either 4 Hi or 4 Lo with the rear locked in my JLUR.

OP
OP
Slaw32

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
If I was in the situation in that picture, I'd probably have it in either 4 Hi or 4 Lo with the rear locked in my JLUR.
After looking closely at the picture my 04 tj unlimited would still be in 2 wheel drive . Doesn't look like the snow is over 4" deep .

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
After looking closely at the picture my 04 tj unlimited would still be in 2 wheel drive . Doesn't look like the snow is over 4" deep .
I'm sure there's someone that has driven that trail in a VW at one time or another.
I just go to 4wd if things look like they could get worse easily. There's a drop off on the left side that might go off camber around the next bend, etc. I wouldn't wait to find it sliding around or toward the edge before going to 4wd. I figure it costs me nothing additional.

ChuckWalla

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys Edition
I chose the Willys because I'm not going to be doing extreme anything. My little rig gets me just fine down the unmaintained roads to dispersed camping spots I like. It might not have been a huge $$ difference to get a Rubicon but I would have felt I had bought a big game rifle to go varmint hunting. I'm totally happy with my decision.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon or willys ???? 63500450901__67F31DF2-330C-491A-812D-FFECB47D5B90

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99tj 21 2dr willys sport, 22 4dr willys sport XR
Hi everybody. Long time lurker first time poster. Just picked up my willy's sport. to my surprise and also disappointment it has power heated mirrors, power locks and also power windows. Apparently they are part of the half door package I ordered. With that being said that's even more bang for the buck. Dealer says I should be happy because resale will be much higher for options I actually didn't pay for but I think not so much so because I wanted old school manual things. Thinking about actually trading in and giving up my half doors to loose the features.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slaw32

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
Hi everybody. Long time lurker first time poster. Just picked up my willy's sport. to my surprise and also disappointment it has power heated mirrors, power locks and also power windows. Apparently they are part of the half door package I ordered. With that being said that's even more bang for the buck. Dealer says I should be happy because resale will be much higher for options I actually didn't pay for but I think not so much so because I wanted old school manual things. Thinking about actually trading in and giving up my half doors to loose the features.
Welcome , haven't been here that long myself . Seems to be alot of folks on this forum that have a passion for their jeeps . Hope you enjoy the ride .

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't think they offer the JL with a carburetor, battery ignition, AM monoaural radio, and vinyl seats. ;)

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No no. My only point was for the same 2350$ for half doors options as with any other trim on a willys sport base they include the power heated mirrors ,door locks, and power windows. Except for led lights you same as willys non sport plus it was 7000 cheaper than a similar equipped rubicon plus without half doors.

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
LOL! Iā€™m sure quite a few people would happily trade their manual full doors for your power half doors.
BTW, what color are your doorsā€¦asking for a friend. šŸ¤”

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge green. I know I got a nice bonus just thought I was pretty well versed in jeeps and had no idea the half doors would add those options. I can understand the mirrors and lock because all the half door are probably the same but why the heck did jeep decide to throw in power windows? Same wiring harness so why not?
Sponsored