Rubicon having issue going up the same terrain while sport easily went up

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Ok let me start by saying that I’m not challenging rubicons superiority over sport. I’m not crazy and don’t believe in conspiracies. This is A mystery to me.
This is not the first incident that this issue has occured .
My sport without lockers can easily go up the terrains that my cousins rubicon gets stuck and would need to use his lockers.
It seems as though rubicon does not have the BLD option and therefore use of lockers is mandatory when about to get stuck.
Both of us are new to off-roading and I have no doubt as terrains get more difficult he would have the advantage
Please look at both videos I took today.
The blue wrangler is rubicon

The brake lock differential has done a damn fine job getting me out of trouble
It’s wirth mentioning that I also have the limited slip differential as well
There were some aussie overland vids with the GCherokee with BLD and they were shocked how it was beating some rovers. Maybe not everywhere, but the tests they ran really surprised them.
Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
You can't really say that without seeing all 4 tires. The lsd is far superior to an open differential and is giving you a large advantage without his lockers engaged.
Also note the rock in front of the right front tire when the left starts slipping. That rock is "skillfully" missed in the "we done good" video!

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's really more about the line he took. If you watch closely, when his front tire starts slipping he is on a line where his front tire is in a hole and his rear is much higher. Your line is very close, but you were further to the left requiring less articulation therefore getting more traction. You can tell him it's due to your superior driving skills.
The rubi also looks like it catches on the rock passenger right more than it should...for some reason the vehicle bumps then he starts spinning. Odd.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for sharing, glad you have someone to run with!

Sponsored

zamboniman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
So the TJ rubi had a type of Limited slip in the rear plus it had the air locker. The JL rubi doesn't have this config anymore and it's all or nothing?

OP
OP

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
Again I’m not doubting his vehicle superiority. Only a moron would . And I know LSD is better than open diff. My question is on BLD. It seems as though rubicon doesn’t have BLD. What stops my fronts from slipping is the BLD not the LSD. Front and rear axles are locked together. Just because LSD is activated in the rear doesn’t mean that the my front will would stop spinning.
The point of this post was this:
BLd is functioning in sport while it doesn’t in rubicon
I replied before without actually watching the videos....

Just did.

The first set of videos is just a function of slightly different lines and a difference in momentum.

Also, he wasn't "stuck"...in either set of videos.

In a year, after you guys get a few real trails under your belt, I want you to revisit this thread. I have a feeling it will be pretty funny. :)

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Looks like just crappy driving skills to me. Honestly, I've taken my wife's grand cherokee over much worse stuff than that and never had any trouble whatsoever. In my JL I would never engage the locker on trails like that because it would never be needed.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Again I’m not doubting his vehicle superiority. Only a moron would . And I know LSD is better than open diff. My question is on BLD. It seems as though rubicon doesn’t have BLD. What stops my fronts from slipping is the BLD not the LSD. Front and rear axles are locked together. Just because LSD is activated in the rear doesn’t mean that the my front will would stop spinning.
The point of this post was this:
BLd is functioning in sport while it doesn’t in rubicon
As far as I know all JLs have BLD. Also, more traction in the back can indeed cause your front to not spin.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Wow this is a very cool thing to learn that with BLD or LSD you can get unstuck quicker on the fly rather than having to flip another switch on the Rubicon for lockers

Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Still no one has still answered the fundamental question, does the Rubicon utilize BLD or not? (Pretty sure it does unless it was malfunctioning) If it does, then it does seem like the Rubicon in the video experienced excessive front wheel spin without engaging BLD regardless of poor driving skill, rock or unfair advantage of the sport due to LSD. Maybe he was too light on the gas, I know BLD likes a little extra pedal to engage, if your light or let off, it might not engage.

Last edited:

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
watch closely at the front passenger tire, he hits a big rock while that tire is also in a hole, right as his driver side starts to slips, my guess is this extra abstacle/resistance is the reason he struggled more.

zamboniman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
AFAIK, no Rubicon package ever had a LSD. Maybe you're thinking of traction control via the electronic braking system?
The original TJ Rubicon had a helical LSD in addition to the air locker. I guess they went away from that design at some point.

Beartooth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unl Rubicon; 2018 JK Unl Sport; 1976 CJ-7 V8
The Rubicon’s Rock Trac 4x4 System does have Brake Lock Differential (BLD) in 4H & 4L. If the axle’s locker is engaged, that axel’s BLD is off.

OP
OP

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
I don't know that "crappy" is the word I'd use. It looks like they were actually trying to get their traction control to kick in by going so slow as to make the system engage. Problem is: I don't think the terrain was severe enough for the system to actually engage in the first place.

Beats me....like you said, I'm pretty sure even a 2wd pickup truck could make that little hill without much trouble.
If you go fast yes. We were trying to go as slow as possible tso the BLD isactivated
Sponsored