Limited Slip Differential vs. Traction Control/Brake Lock Differential

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Regardless of how the BLD works, the traction control is garbage for a vehicle that is designed to go off road. Hit a mud hole or soft sand while cruising in 2wd, apply throttle to maintain momentum as you should and...Jeep cuts all power and you're now dead stopped in the worst spot to be stopped. I love that the tazer let's me leave it off so I don't make that mistake again, until you shift into 4wd and then back into 2HI. I DON'T WANT YOUR TRACTION CONTROL EVER.
Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Disagree. It's a tool in the toolbox. You use it when you need it.

I recently found myself stuck in deep snow in 4Lo. All wheels were not finding traction. Pulled it up into 4Hi, Traction Control fully enabled and crawled right out without issue.

I really enjoy having more than a hammer in my tool suite.

Jay

bllprk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 WK CRD
I have the MT, so I have the 44 in the back. You would be amazed at the difference in the gears between front and back. (or maybe not amazed).

My original question was is there any benefit to the LSD when off-roading. It seems like the answer is yes, when climbing slick hills, in snow, and in conditions that require traction while moving forward.

It also seems like starting from a stop, with reduced traction, it may not help so much.

But... I did put one in. So, I will report back when I get my wheels back on some rocks! Thank you

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Disagree. It's a tool in the toolbox. You use it when you need it.

I recently found myself stuck in deep snow in 4Lo. All wheels were not finding traction. Pulled it up into 4Hi, Traction Control fully enabled and crawled right out without issue.

I really enjoy having more than a hammer in my tool suite.

Jay
One could argue that you were over powering the available traction and simply switching to 4HI would have been enough, but to each his own. In a Rubicon, I've yet to find a scenario where traction was better with traction control than with the lockers. Obviously lockers aren't great at speed or in tight turns, but typically those scenarios aren't so traction limited as to need them anyway. I prefer to be in control of my vehicle vs it cutting power or applying the brakes for me, especially off road.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
One could argue that you were over powering the available traction and simply switching to 4HI would have been enough, but to each his own. In a Rubicon, I've yet to find a scenario where traction was better with traction control than with the lockers. Obviously lockers aren't great at speed or in tight turns, but typically those scenarios aren't so traction limited as to need them anyway. I prefer to be in control of my vehicle vs it cutting power or applying the brakes for me, especially off road.
Long-press the ESC button and the computer won’t limit engine power.

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@Zandcwhite,

Zack, sure point well taken. I'll bet your next paycheck that you also prefer a manual over an automatic transmission. It's interesting how people just like having absolute control over their jalopies.

Again, it's way cool to have the right tool in your toolbox when you need it. It is certainly up to you on whether you use it, or not. Any solution to a problem is still a solution, regardless of how it's applied. Some may be subjectively better than others, but as long as the problem was solved, mission accomplished.

Here, some people just don't like software stepping in for the assistance. Perfectly understandable position.

I for one like any assistance I can get. Notice that I was in 4Lo with all the Traction Control algorithms disabled when I got myself wedged. Only when I stepped back and allowed the software to do it's thing, did I enjoy a better result.

But hey, maybe if my skill set was better in deep snow, I'd have tackled everything on my own. At that moment, the assistance was surely appreciated. And unless I shared this experience, everyone witnessing my dilemma would never have noticed.

So to each there own. By the way I too enjoy rowing gears just like anyone. But sure glad I only need to do it when I want to. This ZF8 speed auto is a dream.

Best regards,
Jay

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
@Zandcwhite,

Zack, sure point well taken. I'll bet your next paycheck that you also prefer a manual over an automatic transmission. It's interesting how people just like having absolute control over their jalopies.

Again, it's way cool to have the right tool in your toolbox when you need it. It is certainly up to you on whether you use it, or not. Any solution to a problem is still a solution, regardless of how it's applied. Some may be subjectively better than others, but as long as the problem was solved, mission accomplished.

Here, some people just don't like software stepping in for the assistance. Perfectly understandable position.

I for one like any assistance I can get. Notice that I was in 4Lo with all the Traction Control algorithms disabled when I got myself wedged. Only when I stepped back and allowed the software to do it's thing, did I enjoy a better result.

But hey, maybe if my skill set was better in deep snow, I'd have tackled everything on my own. At that moment, the assistance was surely appreciated. And unless I shared this experience, everyone witnessing my dilemma would never have noticed.

So to each there own. By the way I too enjoy rowing gears just like anyone. But sure glad I only need to do it when I want to. This ZF8 speed auto is a dream.

Best regards,
Jay
If the manual offered in the Jeep was half as good as the 8spd, I might own one. There's definitely a time and a place for automation and computer controls. I love the adaptive cruise control on road trips for instance. Personally off road I've been let down by the traction control more often than I can recall it helping so I elect to leave it off.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Traction control will save your life and the lives of others on the roadway in slick conditions. It has been well proven, which is why it is mandatory on USA cars starting in 2011.

And you also have a button so you can manually disable it when the situation calls for it.

And the Jeep systems engineers turn it off in 4lo because by definition you should never been in 4lo on a roadway which is when you need traction control.

4hi on the other hand is often used for slick road driving so traction control is automatically engaged - and you can turn it off if needed. But the reason the system will turn it back on is for the safety of others - and yourself.
Mine is still going to be off 100% of the time. Like anything else, it is safer for the average driver eating a big Mac while texting. It can and will cause problems when it counters an intentional defensive driving manuever even on road. To each their own. The one place I absolutely would click the traction control on is icy roads, but being in CA you can guess how often I worry about that.
Sponsored

Last edited: