Sponsored

What is the point of the limited slip differential?

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I got there LSD in my ‘19 JLU sport S and am disappointed in its performance in the snow. I was parking and my right rear wheel hit a patch of ice near the curb and I seemed to lose traction even though the left wheel was on dry pavement. I thought this should transfer power to the other wheel. Am I overestimating the value of the LSD? I had LSD on my 2007 Mini Cooper convertible and that thing never seemed to lose traction, even in snow and ice.
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Jeep’s clutch-based Trac-Lok has never been known for being good, they have a low torque bias compared to a gear/torsen based LSD.

Limited-slips are fine when there's not much traction loss, but they're almost worthless when one tire loses traction completely.

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
I got there LSD in my ‘19 JLU sport S and am disappointed in its performance in the snow. I was parking and my right rear wheel hit a patch of ice near the curb and I seemed to lose traction even though the left wheel was on dry pavement. I thought this should transfer power to the other wheel. Am I overestimating the value of the LSD? I had LSD on my 2007 Mini Cooper convertible and that thing never seemed to lose traction, even in snow and ice.
Their sly reason for using the term "limited" versus "no" slip differential :).

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Your mini was also front wheel drive. I don’t know the bias on the Jeep limited slips. Honestly a limited slip isn’t as good as an open diff when hitting ice, if the diff is open and the tire on the ice spins you lose traction but if the tire with traction still has torque going to it you wind up sideways.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
One of the reasons i got a sahara was to get the selec-trac option for Chicago winters. That would have been more suitable in the snow. Unfortunately i don't think they offer it in the sport.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Few things will get you traction over ice. Not even lockers.

Best you can do for ice conditions is get a good set of tires, arm yourself with the best hardware you can afford --including LSD, drive defensively, and hope for the best.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Few things will get you traction over ice. Not even lockers.

Best you can do for ice conditions is get a good set of tires, arm yourself with the best hardware you can afford --including LSD, drive defensively, and hope for the best.
in the case where one wheel is slipping, but the rest are on dry pavement, the other wheels won't be able to pull?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Mini and other premium brands like BMW/Audi/Mercedes all have a pretty advanced differentials that are well beyond what Jeep offers in it's LSD. I think the Mini had a Haldex in the front, Audi likes torsens, and BMW/MB have their own derivatives. All of these actually sense loss of traction and properly divert power.

The Jeep LSD is just a cheap clutch setup that is 1980's technology and if you follow the other threads they are burning up left and right and failing - drain your fluid on a LSD diff and it's likely black from clutch wear.

I prefer lockers over a bad LSD. I prefer a great torsen over lockers.

They do make one for D44's.... wonder if it works in a Jeep.....

https://torsen.com/how-it-works/

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tap the brake while simultaneously applying a little throttle.
i'd need 1 more leg. i've got a manual transmission. but, in this case it wasn't any sort of problem, i was just surprised that the other wheel didn't pull more.

Sponsored

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini and other premium brands like BMW/Audi/Mercedes all have a pretty advanced differentials that are well beyond what Jeep offers in it's LSD. I think the Mini had a Haldex in the front, Audi likes torsens, and BMW/MB have their own derivatives. All of these actually sense loss of traction and properly divert power.

The Jeep LSD is just a cheap clutch setup that is 1980's technology and if you follow the other threads they are burning up left and right and failing - drain your fluid on a LSD diff and it's likely black from clutch wear.

I prefer lockers over a bad LSD. I prefer a great torsen over lockers.

They do make one for D44's.... wonder if it works in a Jeep.....

https://torsen.com/how-it-works/
well that stinks. so, was the Jeep LSD a waste of money? from what i understand, i still got an upgraded rear axle out of it, but it sounds like the LSD itself wasn't worth the upgrade.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
It's a LSD not 4HI

Your cooper was also 10X lighter and had the wheel base of a postage stamp.

...jus sayn

Last edited:

lumberjack357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
well that stinks. so, was the Jeep LSD a waste of money? from what i understand, i still got an upgraded rear axle out of it, but it sounds like the LSD itself wasn't worth the upgrade.
You would have got the D44 either way bc you have a manual. The axle upgrade with LSD is on the auto.
Sponsored