Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Thanks a lot for the write up on the Aux lighting. I was curious why you switched your A-pillar ditch lights from Amber to White lenses?
Here's my reason for the switch from Yellow to Clear lens on the 'Ditch' lights.

I had a chance to use the Yellow lens on the 'Ditch' lights offroad and here's what I found. Yellow is great in dusty, snowy, poor visibility situations.
Here's a shot with the Yellow 'Ditch' lights. It gives you an idea of when used close in how much color is rendered on the landscape.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon AUX Lights-Offraod

I found that with my 'Ditch' lights, that's not how I was using them. I want to see clearly what the terrain was on that close in 3/4 front area (non dusty).

So, that prompted the switch to the Clear lens. Straight up better visibility in a non-dusty situation. I hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

-Steven
Sponsored

Bennera513

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sport, '22 JLUR XR (Just Received!)
Really appreciate the Lighting overview and professional pics. Makes me want to get out in the darkness and 'shine'. I'm especially taking away how you combined differing components and brands to build a complete lighting strategy for all sides of your Jeep. I've been debating whether to leverage my aux switches for all the zones or go with an aftermarket SwitchPros solution and save the aux bank for higher amperage utilities like compressor and fridge, etc. What was your thinking in on this and what are you doing about your other 'appliances'?

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Really appreciate the Lighting overview and professional pics. Makes me want to get out in the darkness and 'shine'. I'm especially taking away how you combined differing components and brands to build a complete lighting strategy for all sides of your Jeep. I've been debating whether to leverage my aux switches for all the zones or go with an aftermarket SwitchPros solution and save the aux bank for higher amperage utilities like compressor and fridge, etc. What was your thinking in on this and what are you doing about your other 'appliances'?
Here's how I came around to running the Aux. lighting via the Aux switches. On my previous JK build I was running the very popular 6-switch sPod unit. It worked great, however when it came time for my JL build I was taking note of the Jeep engineers giving us the well designed factory Aux switches, wiring bundles etc.. I simply wanted to 'build' on this clean, built in design theme. Call it personal preference as I believe you should build yours the way it suits you. So, as my lighting scheme was coming together, it was always going to be built around those 4 factory Aux. switches.

I'm running my ARB compressor via the American Adventure Labs (AAL) Dual ARB Compressor Mount. I have that wired directly to my main battery, but the AAL system gives me the ability to add an additional battery to power a Fridge, etc.. when the time comes.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_3860.JPG

When I did my ARB install, I also added the AAL 6-way ATC Fuse Block giving me a way to easily add upgrades like the rear lighting on the rear cargo glass.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_3930 2

-Steven

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Apex Designs Steering Boost Kit

Some of the more recent mods on my build have been centered around upgrading my steering. Trying to turn the 37's locked, aired down and in the rocks was way beyond the capacity of the stock electro-hydraulic steering found on our JL's. In fact, turning the tires on warm days on pavement I could feel the steering was being taxed. Before this mod, I did see overheated steering fluid while wheeling (offroad, locked, aired down).

For this latest mod, we traveled to Park City, Utah to install the Apex Designs Steering Boost Kit at the Apex facility, working closely with Paul who developed this system. Paul comes from a background in racing, worked with Fox Racing Shox, and developed Falcon Shocks with TeraFlex.

To better understand what this mod is, the Apex kit adds boost to the stock system allowing for 40% more steering power. The kit also adds a much needed cooler to the steering system.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon boost-pre-load-screw_1024x1024@2x.JPG

Attached are two videos, 'Driving Impressions' and 'Steering Boost Install'. The 'Install' video features a lot of great insights from Paul as he shows how to properly install the kit.

-Steven

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

Sponsored

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Your photos, Steven…..…..👍🏼
definitely worthy of a Jeep brochure.

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

kubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Apex Designs Steering Boost Kit

Some of the more recent mods on my build have been centered around upgrading my steering. Trying to turn the 37's locked, aired down and in the rocks was way beyond the capacity of the stock electro-hydraulic steering found on our JL's. In fact, turning the tires on warm days on pavement I could feel the steering was being taxed. Before this mod, I did see overheated steering fluid while wheeling (offroad, locked, aired down).

For this latest mod, we traveled to Park City, Utah to install the Apex Designs Steering Boost Kit at the Apex facility, working closely with Paul who developed this system. Paul comes from a background in racing, worked with Fox Racing Shox, and developed Falcon Shocks with TeraFlex.

To better understand what this mod is, the Apex kit adds boost to the stock system allowing for 40% more steering power. The kit also adds a much needed cooler to the steering system.

-Steven

Perfect TIming on the Videos. I never considered the APEX system but may give it a closer look. Hydro Assist was gonna be the next big project.

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Perfect TIming on the Videos. I never considered the APEX system but may give it a closer look. Hydro Assist was gonna be the next big project.
I first saw this mod when Bryce from Dixie 4 Wheel and I were doing a review on their insane Gladiator build during EJS.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 12.24.29 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 12.24.58 PM

Getting a chance to spend a day with Paul from Apex provided a lot of insight, such as they tested four Jeeps running the Boost Kit at 2400psi (the system runs at 1800psi) for a year with no failures. Apex's analysis of the capabilities of the system to run at a higher pressure safely was born out through this testing.

Keep in mind, Apex is recommending this mod for up to 38's. On my build, it's turning my 37's locked, aired down in the rocks with ease. The improvement in on-road feel was a real pleasant surprise!

-Steven

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
After returning from our last off-roading trip I did a close inspection of the Jeep, looking for any damage, loose anything, etc.. With winter coming on, I wanted to do any paint touch up needed before we encounter the salty winter roads here in the Midwest.

I did find several contact/damage points for the trails. This prompted me to do a video on the armor I'm running and how it held up out on the trail(s). Hopefully this will be helpful in making decisions regarding what armor we run or not. Enjoy!

-Steven

JJsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR ER, 2008 JKU Sahara, 2023 Yukon XL,
After returning from our last off-roading trip I did a close inspection of the Jeep, looking for any damage, loose anything, etc.. With winter coming on, I wanted to do any paint touch up needed before we encounter the salty winter roads here in the Midwest.

I did find several contact/damage points for the trails. This prompted me to do a video on the armor I'm running and how it held up out on the trail(s). Hopefully this will be helpful in making decisions regarding what armor we run or not. Enjoy!

-Steven
Thanks for the video on the armor. Did you install the gas tank skid? I was curious how challenging that project is to remove OE skid and replace versus a solution like MC that goes over top.

Also, yesterday I got around to the Rugged Ridge Fender LEDs. Have you had any issues or things I should look out for with them?
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon ABF300CC-E443-4809-B14E-22F0805A7F95

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hi Justin, glad to hear the video was helpful. I did the Artec Belly Pan install myself. If you follow the instructions using a cinch strap it's not too bad. You will have a moment lifting/blocking while lining up a bolt, but with a little swearing, I got it on. The biggest benefit of losing the OEM skid is the clearance gained...+3/4" which is huge and shed some weight.

The fender chop looks great! I really think Jeep designers had this look in mind the whole time. Knock on wood, mine has been flawless.

-Steven

JJsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR ER, 2008 JKU Sahara, 2023 Yukon XL,
Hi Justin, glad to hear the video was helpful. I did the Artec Belly Pan install myself. If you follow the instructions using a cinch strap it's not too bad. You will have a moment lifting/blocking while lining up a bolt, but with a little swearing, I got it on. The biggest benefit of losing the OEM skid is the clearance gained...+3/4" which is huge and shed some weight.

The fender chop looks great! I really think Jeep designers had this look in mind the whole time. Knock on wood, mine has been flawless.

-Steven
Ok. Good to know regarding the Arec Belly Pan. I like the idea of less weight and improved ground clearance! Maybe I'll have to consider that more then.

Glad to hear the LED's have been good to you.
Sponsored