Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JL Sahara, bought it with 34 miles on it and now have 800. Since day one I have experienced the following:

It idles and purs like a cat (the way it should) then randomly it has a little hiccup. Hard to explain other than to say EVERY car I have had idles smooth and consistent. Typically when a little hiccup occurs it's because the car is in need of a throttle body cleaning or spark plugs.

Has anyone experienced this?
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Mine seems to do similar behavior. I've been chalking it up to breaking in. I am going to keep an eye on it and give it a little more though when I get above 500 miles as right now it's about 340 miles.

Oldtimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Ltd
I have about 600 miles on my new 3.6l Sahara. I notice a rough idle for quite sometime after start-up. My Grand Cherokee also has the 3.6l ... it is smooth from start to stop. How is your experience now??

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at over 5k miles on it and it still seems the same, maybe a touch better. I hate to call it a "rough" idle but I am used to a car that purs and you don't even feel it running. That being said this is not a car, has a bigger engine and sits on a frame. All of these may cause you to feel it more. I'm not sure but at this point it is what it is and nothing to take to the dealer.

Sponsored

Oldtimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Ltd
It almost feels like I’m on 5 cylinders at idle, but when i step on it its smooth. Im going to chalk it up to a wrangler vs the Grand Cherokee. I am a wrangler fan!

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmmm... that sounds pretty rough. I wouldn't describe mine that way at all. Since I tend to be very OCD when spending $46k on a Jeep I may be over sensitive to it. Others may get in and say it feels as it should. The only thing I have to compare it against are cars and suvs that pur. But 5 cylinders???? I'd take that puppy to a dealer.

modeltrainman

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jku rubi
Well my guess is that it is in the programing of the ecm you could try to call your selling dealer ask for service explain the problem and ask if they have a fix or a reflash for the ecm.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
What is the normal idle rpm after warm up? Maybe the rpm is too low?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My JLU Sahara sounds like kinda rough when I first start it after it’s been sitting a few days but the rpm’s are very solid and steady and after a minute or two it seems to smooth out but like I said the rpm’s are steady

Sponsored

Oldtimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Ltd
What is the normal idle rpm after warm up? Maybe the rpm is too low?
I was at 750 rpm after a short idle this a.m. it maintained that rpm while i watched, I’ll try to catch it tonight right at startup.

Badger98

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Firecracker Red JLUR
I have a JL Sahara, bought it with 34 miles on it and now have 800. Since day one I have experienced the following:

It idles and purs like a cat (the way it should) then randomly it has a little hiccup. Hard to explain other than to say EVERY car I have had idles smooth and consistent. Typically when a little hiccup occurs it's because the car is in need of a throttle body cleaning or spark plugs.

Has anyone experienced this?
I have a similar issue of a vibrating idle. Did you ever get anything solved?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I'm at over 5k miles on it and it still seems the same, maybe a touch better. I hate to call it a "rough" idle but I am used to a car that purs and you don't even feel it running. That being said this is not a car, has a bigger engine and sits on a frame. All of these may cause you to feel it more. I'm not sure but at this point it is what it is and nothing to take to the dealer.
Mine is same as yours. Not rough but a light hiccup now and then at idle. Weird but 12,000 miles it hasn’t gotten any worse so I live with it. Once you step on the gas it’s flawless.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a similar issue of a vibrating idle. Did you ever get anything solved?
At 15k miles I am either so used to it or it hasn't been going on. I think I am more like @Torero in the above post, it's a random hiccup at idle but has no negative effect.

ibrahim_86

First Name
Ibrahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara 2018
Any updated on this issue ,, any one got it fixed?
Sponsored