Right Drift after Steering TSB

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
I'd call or go back and ask them if the software was updated, because it doesn't show that on your invoice. According to my service advisor, the TSB states to update the software as the steel steering gear box has a specific program vs. the replaced aluminum unit.
I'm going back. I'll ask tomorrow, TY!

The jerkyness (sp) is caused by air in the system. Park with your front tires on dirt and go lock to lock slowly with the steering wheel holding for a sec or two at the lock. You may need to go back and forth a couple of times. This should force the air out, Works on cars with Rack and Pinion too.

Drift could be caused by the air in the system. When I had mine done I had the same issue. Got the air out and the jerky movement and drift went away.

Andy
I'll definitely mention this to the service dept and if they won't do anything about it I'll take care of it. TY!
Sponsored

Mr Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I don't know why your Jeep has a new drift or pull but everybody should make sure all the tsb steps are performed. Depending on the year the track bar needs inspection and possibly replaced. The steering gear gets changed. The software gets updated. And possibly your Jeep may need a new sales code entered and a reconfiguration of the controllers. A good Tech would make sure this all gets done but it would be easy for a substandard one to miss one of the steps. Ask the service adviser to show you the tsb, read it with them and make sure all the steps are done that your vehicle needs.
If they claim to have done a alignment then they should give you a printout of your results. If they don't have one then they can print it from the alignment machines history. Keep this as a reference in case down the road anybody tells you that you have a bent housing. (A Common JK scam)

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
Funny, mine pulls to the left after my gear replacement. :headbang:

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Just had my JLUR repaired today. It's no better than before. Same amount a free play and actually has a bogging feel when turning right. Also, looks like this new TSB is not using the cast iron housed steering gear. Looks like the exact aluminum housed one I had before.

0120211410_HDR.jpg

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello,

If anyone is experiencing pulls to the right or left after gearbox replacement, or other concerning symptoms, we recommend returning to your dealer to have this corrected. Please message us so that we can have a case escalated while you are in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That was one of my other questions I forgot to ask. Is there a way to find out if the software programming was done? Is there a way you would be able to check it in the car or through the radio, something like that?
SUMMARY: Get the specific "Options Report" printout from the dealership that shows either 5SY or 70F for the "Steering Pump & Gear Service Plan". Two different dealerships told me it was up to date, even my original steering gear replacement invoice said the software was updated, 3rd dealership showed me it WAS NOT updated on the "Options Report". All slop in the steering wheel is 100% gone after the 3rd dealership updated it to 70F. Finally drives like a Jeep now. I found out because of lack of whining noise when the steering wheel is turned. Software update appears to increase the voltage on the steering pump, causing the whining sound (it isn't obnoxious, just an indicator the steering pump is on/active). In your case, you still might hear the whining noise with the old software, as some on other forums said they heard the whining noise before and after the software update. Point is, verify the software was updated via the options report print out, don't take their word for it.

DETAIL: It is very important to verify that they actually updated the steering pump software from 5SY to 70F via the Options Report not the dealer service invoice. In my case, the new cast iron steering box made some improvement, but not significant. Still had 2" of play, constantly correcting to keep it in lane. Very disappointed after seeing the success stories on this site. The dealership that replaced the steering box with the new cast iron version failed to update the EHPS (step 2 in TSB 08-074-20) and the steering pump software (steps 4 & 5) even though the invoice stated they updated the software. They also failed to replace the track bar for build dates before January 22 2019 (steps 12 & 13). After reading a few steering posts about a whining sound that people are hearing from the steering pump and I didn't hear any whining sound from mine, I started to wonder if they updated the software. I went back to the original dealer, they took it into the shop, said it was up to date. I went to another dealer, paid the hourly minimum charge, they too said it was up to date. I went to a 3rd dealership, and they hooked my JLU up to their service computer / DealerConnect and printed out an "Options Report" that the other two dealerships did not offer. It showed that the "Steering Pump and Gear Service Plan" was 5SY. F**KERS. I new the original dealership that replaced the steering box screwed up due to their attitude when I asked to verify. Note: See JD Powers surveys for the past 10+ years showing Jeep, Ram, Fiat dealers dead last in customer satisfaction. This third dealership updated to the correct steering box software, reprinted it, now it says 70F and ALL of the slop in steering is 100% gone. Point is, GET THE SPECIFIC PRINT OUT THAT SHOWS EITHER 5SY or 70F for the steering pump software. I did some research, but it looks like none of the menus in the radio will show this information. My only clue was the lack of a high pitched sound coming from the steering pump when the steering wheel is turned. You will need someone to turn your steering wheel back and forth while the JL is on and in park while you stand in front on the passenger side (right below the steering pump reservoir). I can now hear the whining sound from the steering pump, and ZERO slack in the steering wheel when driving at any speed.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
SUMMARY: Get the specific "Options Report" printout from the dealership that shows either 5SY or 70F for the "Steering Pump & Gear Service Plan". Two different dealerships told me it was up to date, even my original steering gear replacement invoice said the software was updated, 3rd dealership showed me it WAS NOT updated on the "Options Report". All slop in the steering wheel is 100% gone after the 3rd dealership updated it to 70F. Finally drives like a Jeep now. I found out because of lack of whining noise when the steering wheel is turned. Software update appears to increase the voltage on the steering pump, causing the whining sound (it isn't obnoxious, just an indicator the steering pump is on/active). In your case, you still might hear the whining noise with the old software, as some on other forums said they heard the whining noise before and after the software update. Point is, verify the software was updated via the options report print out, don't take their word for it.

DETAIL: It is very important to verify that they actually updated the steering pump software from 5SY to 70F via the Options Report not the dealer service invoice. In my case, the new cast iron steering box made some improvement, but not significant. Still had 2" of play, constantly correcting to keep it in lane. Very disappointed after seeing the success stories on this site. The dealership that replaced the steering box with the new cast iron version failed to update the EHPS (step 2 in TSB 08-074-20) and the steering pump software (steps 4 & 5) even though the invoice stated they updated the software. They also failed to replace the track bar for build dates before January 22 2019 (steps 12 & 13). After reading a few steering posts about a whining sound that people are hearing from the steering pump and I didn't hear any whining sound from mine, I started to wonder if they updated the software. I went back to the original dealer, they took it into the shop, said it was up to date. I went to another dealer, paid the hourly minimum charge, they too said it was up to date. I went to a 3rd dealership, and they hooked my JLU up to their service computer / DealerConnect and printed out an "Options Report" that the other two dealerships did not offer. It showed that the "Steering Pump and Gear Service Plan" was 5SY. F**KERS. I new the original dealership that replaced the steering box screwed up due to their attitude when I asked to verify. Note: See JD Powers surveys for the past 10+ years showing Jeep, Ram, Fiat dealers dead last in customer satisfaction. This third dealership updated to the correct steering box software, reprinted it, now it says 70F and ALL of the slop in steering is 100% gone. Point is, GET THE SPECIFIC PRINT OUT THAT SHOWS EITHER 5SY or 70F for the steering pump software. I did some research, but it looks like none of the menus in the radio will show this information. My only clue was the lack of a high pitched sound coming from the steering pump when the steering wheel is turned. You will need someone to turn your steering wheel back and forth while the JL is on and in park while you stand in front on the passenger side (right below the steering pump reservoir). I can now hear the whining sound from the steering pump, and ZERO slack in the steering wheel when driving at any speed.
I would like to know as well. My local dealers are terrible. Both screw ups on the most simple things.

93civEJ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
I’m having this same exact right pull after having mine done like 3 days ago. Didn’t do it before with my other gear. My original one wasn’t bad at all. I have a JT but just happened to see yours pulled right. I had them do a “steering wheel” center and alignment. Nope. Same deal still once I got some driving on it. I’m really frustrated with the new one so far.

Sponsored

93civEJ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so they just came back and are trying to tell me all is in spec and all looks good and that is has to be road crown or the 34.5 tires. That is not true, because this did not start until Friday after the new gear was installed.
I told them everything was fine on Friday before the new gear, there was no sign of pull. Just only a hair wonder / looseness in steering. Now its a constant right pull fight.

At first they told me sorry, not much else they can do. I would be ok with that, but it didnt start until the TSB update for steering.
I did go back in to the office and tell them I dont agree. They are asking me to bring it in on Tuesday 7/13 in the morning to have one of the "best guys" look at it. To quote "if he thinks its tires, then its tires". Not true, it didnt do that before friday. So does this also means that their other techs are subpar?

The dealer has been great so far, i just dont agree with their answer now after looking at this the 3rd time since 7/2. The 2 people that drove it agree that is has a pull.

jlgolfcart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini JLRU
Ok, so they just came back and are trying to tell me all is in spec and all looks good and that is has to be road crown or the 34.5 tires. That is not true, because this did not start until Friday after the new gear was installed.
I told them everything was fine on Friday before the new gear, there was no sign of pull. Just only a hair wonder / looseness in steering. Now its a constant right pull fight.

At first they told me sorry, not much else they can do. I would be ok with that, but it didnt start until the TSB update for steering.
I did go back in to the office and tell them I dont agree. They are asking me to bring it in on Tuesday 7/13 in the morning to have one of the "best guys" look at it. To quote "if he thinks its tires, then its tires". Not true, it didnt do that before friday. So does this also means that their other techs are subpar?

The dealer has been great so far, i just dont agree with their answer now after looking at this the 3rd time since 7/2. The 2 people that drove it agree that is has a pull.

jlgolfcart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini JLRU
I would have to say rotate the tires not sure how long you’ve had the tires but if it was out of alignment Before the new steering gear they could be worn and if they did a new alignment that could change the way you steers

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Not sure if I posted here before or not. I had the right and left pull issue and what I found out that 42mm pitman nut was not torque to spec and it came lose and almost came out. After I torque it back and now it drives straight and no more pulling at all!

93civEJ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if I posted here before or not. I had the right and left pull issue and what I found out that 42mm pitman nut was not torque to spec and it came lose and almost came out. After I torque it back and now it drives straight and no more pulling at all!
weird. Anyone know what the torque spec is?
Sponsored