Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Director at Non Profit
Hi everyone,

I am new here, picking up my 2018 Sahara on Friday and have a question about the reset oil change indicator. I understand you can see the health of your oil , and it will vary based on how you drive; however, would it be able to detect if you clicked reset and did not actually change the oil? Would it state that the health of the oil is strong even though it isnt (effectively tricking the system)? I tried searching this forum and couldn't find this specific answer.

Thanks in advance.

Ben
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
It isn't smart enough to know if you actually changed the oil. It just guesses the life of the oil, based on your driving. Btw, I've never used these Oil Life Meters to gauge when to change my oil.

OP
OP

bsvehla

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Director at Non Profit
Thanks Dalton, I had suspected this. The vehicle I am buying is a trade in, and so I am unsure if an oil change was done or not, so just wanted to verify if this was a true indicator or not, because on the vehicle it shows its at 99% life. Obviously the previous owner may have reset the indicator right before trading it in.

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
What does the oil look like?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Always change the oil when you buy a used vehicle. If it's past a major service mileage, do the major service unless there is a receipt for it.

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Thanks Dalton, I had suspected this. The vehicle I am buying is a trade in, and so I am unsure if an oil change was done or not, so just wanted to verify if this was a true indicator or not, because on the vehicle it shows its at 99% life. Obviously the previous owner may have reset the indicator right before trading it in.
Just go ahead and change the engine oil. I'd change the front and rear diffs as well as the transfer case fluid as well. That's what I did when I bought my 2018.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Just go ahead and change the engine oil. I'd change the front and rear diffs as well as the transfer case fluid as well. That's what I did when I bought my 2018.
Any additional info in changing the transfer case fluid? There’s tons of videos and talk about oil changes and differential fluid changes, but I can’t seem to find anything on the t-case!

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Any additional info in changing the transfer case fluid? There’s tons of videos and talk about oil changes and differential fluid changes, but I can’t seem to find anything on the t-case!
Honestly the JLU/JL transfer case is no different than any other I've owned. Fill bolt on top and drain bolt on the bottom. Make sure you remove the fill plug first to make sure you can refill what you drain. The video below shows JLU/JL diffs and transfer case fluid change. My transfer case is a little different (thinking the one in the video is selctrac?) but again just fill and drain bolts.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Honestly the JLU/JL transfer case is no different than any other I've owned. Fill bolt on top and drain bolt on the bottom. Make sure you remove the fill plug first to make sure you can refill what you drain. The video below shows JLU/JL diffs and transfer case fluid change. My transfer case is a little different (thinking the one in the video is selctrac?) but again just fill and drain bolts.

Exactly what I needed, thanks man!!!
Sponsored