Removing decals with a lease

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Is there a penalty on a leased Jeep if we remove any stickers/decals from it? Anyone know?
Sponsored

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
Based on my lease experiences, I’m guessing yes there is a penalty. They expect the vehicle back just the way it was. Only exception is mileage and normal wear and tear.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Generally speaking, it needs to be returned in the condition it was delivered. Remember, you do not own the vehicle in the lease. The leasing company does. Some manufacturers/leasing companies are extremely picky about this and some are a little less so.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Is there a penalty on a leased Jeep if we remove any stickers/decals from it? Anyone know?
@JeepLeap

Chances are extremely extremely high that you will hear the music so to speak... be penalized...

Remember though, any factory decal you take off, can just as easily be replaced, a couple of so years down the road when you have to turn the vehicle back in.

OEM decals can be purchased and installing them can be done with not to much effort by you or a local shop that does install/place decals...

SO, if it really is important to use remove now and deal with it later...

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
What kind of stickers/decals are we talking about here? Dealer-specific ones I wouldn't worry about those at all. If there are any dealer decals on mine I peel them off the minute I get home - owned or leased.

If they are the factory decals, like "Wrangler" or "Rubicon" or other stuff then yeah they might squeak about those - or not.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

you can always remove them and replace them when the lease is due. you can should be able to find replicas of all the factory decals. im sure Pixeldecals can help with that. theyre not going to be out there with calipers checking that the decals are the right width etc... lol.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would Lease a Jeep Wrangler. The resale on them is so high, you will recoup much of what you have paid into it. A lease on the other hand, is like renting an apartment. Zero equity when you move out.
A lease only makes sense, if you use the vehicle strictly for business purposes, or if you want a high end vehicle, that depreciates in value drastically.
Then again, I know people that lease cars/trucks, that they otherwise cannot afford to buy, due to financial reasons. Solution, drive what you can afford, save your money for a few years, then purchase what you really want. Financial self control.
I'm not saying this is the case of the OP, on this thread, but it's just advise in general.

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
I would think you run the risk of getting a ‘damage fee’ to replace the hood decals. If you remove the little decal under the Jeep logo that might be noticed as much.

just my 2 cents. I have never leased a vehicle - between my habits, dogs and kids, vehicles at my house are pretty work out when I am down with them

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I’ve never been on a site where so many have leased vehicles.

Don’t mess with it. Enjoy your long term rental. They’re just stickers. It’s not yours, so if you debadge it you will pay in the end.

I don’t lease and I don’t buy used that are off lease. A surprisingly high number of people don’t even get oil changes when they lease. These days a light goes off on the dash that makes most people go ahead and do it, if they don’t know how to reset it. It’s amazing the stories I’ve heard from those who work at dealers about trade ins that still have the original factory installed oil filter with 20, 30 thousand miles or more.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would Lease a Jeep Wrangler. The resale on them is so high, you will recoup much of what you have paid into it. A lease on the other hand, is like renting an apartment. Zero equity when you move out.
Except, on a lease, you have a locked in residual value that you can purchase the vehicle at lease end (or trade it) and recapture the equity.

Realistically, leasing is an insurance policy against depreciation. If the vehicle is worth less than the Residual Value at lease end, you turn it in and walk away from the negative equity. If it's worth more (likely the case in most situations with full size trucks and Wranglers), you would never "turn it in."

This is why everyone leases German vehicles (MB, BMW). The RVs are subsidized by the manufacturers, so it reduces the contract depreciation that you finance below the real life depreciation. With the possible exception of this crazy market, it is litterally cheaper all in to lease one than to buy it and take the actual depreciation hit.

In the case of the Wrangler, where the actual value at lease end is more than the bank's residual value, it can be a tax and cash flow game. You can reduce your cash cost over, say, 36 months, compared to a longer financed purchase and still either buy and finance or sell to regain any equity at the end.

As leasing and financing/cash have their own benefits and the value of leasing is dependent on the specific vehicle, it's important to analyze the difference on a case by case basis. As a general rule, if you can't lease a vehicle with no money down for near or less than 1% of MSRP per month it's likely better to purchase.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Except, on a lease, you have a locked in residual value that you can purchase the vehicle at lease end (or trade it) and recapture the equity.

Realistically, leasing is an insurance policy against depreciation. If the vehicle is worth less than the Residual Value at lease end, you turn it in and walk away from the negative equity. If it's worth more (likely the case in most situations with full size trucks and Wranglers), you would never "turn it in."

This is why everyone leases German vehicles (MB, BMW). The RVs are subsidized by the manufacturers, so it reduces the contract depreciation that you finance below the real life depreciation. With the possible exception of this crazy market, it is litterally cheaper all in to lease one than to buy it and take the actual depreciation hit.

In the case of the Wrangler, where the actual value at lease end is more than the bank's residual value, it can be a tax and cash flow game. You can reduce your cash cost over, say, 36 months, compared to a longer financed purchase and still either buy and finance or sell to regain any equity at the end.

As leasing and financing/cash have their own benefits and the value of leasing is dependent on the specific vehicle, it's important to analyze the difference on a case by case basis. As a general rule, if you can't lease a vehicle with no money down for near or less than 1% of MSRP per month it's likely better to purchase.
Ok, I will put this Lease Thing into the most elementary description as possible.
Say you lease A Wrangler every three years, for 21 years of your life. At the end of those 21 years, you have NOTHING.
Say you buy a Wrangler every 5 years, at the end of 21 years, you will own 4 Wranglers, paid off. If you buy inexpensive Wranglers at $35,000 each, you would have spent $140,000. Say the Wrangler holds a value at 80% ? That would give you $112,000 in cash, in your pocket.
At the end of 21 years of leasing, you have nothing, not even a Wrangler. Maybe you own the decals you put on the Wrangler, that is all.
How much more simple can this be??
I try to explain leasing to millenials, but they usually can only think in the Short Term money way of thinking, and investing.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Ok, I will put this Lease Thing into the most elementary description as possible.
Say you lease A Wrangler every three years, for 21 years of your life. At the end of those 21 years, you have NOTHING.
Say you buy a Wrangler every 5 years, at the end of 21 years, you will own 4 Wranglers, paid off. If you buy inexpensive Wranglers at $35,000 each, you would have spent $140,000. Say the Wrangler holds a value at 80% ? That you give you $112,000 in cash, in your pocket.
At the end of 21 years of leasing, you have nothing, not even a Wrangler. Maybe you own the decals you put on the Wrangler, that is all.
How much more simple can this be??
I try to explain leasing to millenials, but they usually can only think in the Short Term money way of thinking, and investing.
Ok Dave Ramsey, did you even read my post? You're basing your analysis on an uniformed oversimplified version of how leasing works.

As I stated above, you DO NOT abandon equity with a lease, that's one fatal flaw in your analysis. That, and your 21 year old wrangler will not be worth 80% of it's original value.

You may want to do some research before preaching to any more "millennials".

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Ok Dave Ramsey, did you even read my post? You're basing your analysis on an uniformed oversimplified version of how leasing works.

As I stated above, you DO NOT abandon equity with a lease, that's one fatal flaw in your analysis. That, and your 21 year old wrangler will not be worth 80% of it's original value.

You may want to do some research before preaching to any more "millennials".

My 17 year old TJ sold for 77% of it's original value. That's pretty damn close

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
My 17 year old TJ sold for 77% of it's original value. That's pretty damn close
Inflation adjusted? Or are you mixing and matching 2021 dollars with 2004 dollars? Cumulative inflation was almost 45% over 17 years.
Sponsored