Sponsored

Removing dealer slime / silicone dressing from interior?

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
I bought a used vehicle a while back and they slimed the interior with what I think is a silicone-based dressing to make everything shine. It's just slick and gross to the touch.

I tried some mild leather soap/cleaner with some warm water on a terry cloth rag on the dash and it helped a little, but not the "once and done" result I was hoping for.

What works? I want to return the interior plastic back to their natural low-gloss, matte even finishes.
Sponsored

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
Wipe it down again bucket of dawn dish soap and water.

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
Is it like that Scotchguard stuff? I bought a Ram 1500 awhile and had asked the dealer not to do it after they offered to a complimentary "protection" package, but the prep techs missed the memo and did it anyway. I had them remove it, with mixed results.

So I ended up using a bucket of hot water, dawn soap and wiped the areas that still had residue. I let the soapy water sit a bit to give it a chance to work in and dissolve or loosen the film.

You might just need another go over or two on yours.

Deleted member 59498

I bought a used vehicle a while back and they slimed the interior with what I think is a silicone-based dressing to make everything shine. It's just slick and gross to the touch.

I tried some mild leather soap/cleaner with some warm water on a terry cloth rag on the dash and it helped a little, but not the "once and done" result I was hoping for.

What works? I want to return the interior plastic back to their natural low-gloss, matte even finishes.

I looked at a truck with leather seats and it was slimed up so bad I couldn't even sit still because my ass was moving all over the seat just trying to adjust it. Was disgusting and shiny, I was like did you polish the insides?

Sponsored

OP
OP
NWJeepr

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
I tried again last night with a bucket of soapy (dawn) water, and it worked a bit better. Thanks for the suggestions.

The interior looks and feels much, much better. Will probably go over it once more for good measure.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Polydimethylsiloxane, silicone, has very low surface energy and is hydrophobic (water hating).

Dawn dish soap is/has surfactants that breakup the silicone and surround the droplets so it can be removed with water.

An alternative would be use an organic solvent that is capable of solvating the silicone into solution so it can be wiped away. This is more aggressive and may damage the plastics. The best option is probably isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). It works OK on silicone but is pretty safe on most surfaces and you. Test in an inconspicuous area. Acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, hexane, xylene will strip the silicone effectively but may also damage the surface.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Why do dealers do that :mad:. I completely stopped them this time by demanding that my 392 be parked and locked immediately after the truck dropped it off. I also did the mandatory test drive myself, with the mechanic and his laptop as a passenger. Not everyone wants bling on their vehicle.

OP
OP
NWJeepr

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
Why do dealers do that :mad:. I completely stopped them this time by demanding that my 392 be parked and locked immediately after the truck dropped it off. I also did the mandatory test drive myself, with the mechanic and his laptop as a passenger. Not everyone wants bling on their vehicle.
This wasn’t on a new vehicle. It was used.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
This wasn’t on a new vehicle. It was used.
It doesn't matter, new or almost new, it makes a mess and is obnoxious. The dealers should offer it as a free ad on when selling them.
Sponsored