Remove Winch and Bumper Guard?

Brock9281

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
If I were to remove winch, what would I need to fill in the gap? I bought this Rubicon with the winch installed but have no use for.
Also is it fairly easy to remove push bar? Would like to get a smaller one to replace.

B443BB0B-C581-4DD5-8296-A9C17D021893.jpeg
Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
If I were to remove winch, what would I need to fill in the gap? I bought this Rubicon with the winch installed but have no use for.
Also is it fairly easy to remove push bar? Would like to get a smaller one to replace.

B443BB0B-C581-4DD5-8296-A9C17D021893.jpeg
It’s easy to remove the winch and bar, and there are several options for smaller bull bars. Mopar makes a simple hoop that fits, and there are multiple other options depending on the look you want. Some have tabs for lights too.

Once the winch is removed you’ll have a space on top which can be filled with a metal plate, a plastic/kydex insert, or nothing at all. The front hole can be filled with a front license plate.

Or you can be like 75% of the people running around with winches they never use, and just appreciate the “cool” look and value/resale enhancement! :like::LOL:

I wouldn’t go buy a winch I’d never use, but there isn’t much benefit to removing one that’s already there.

OP
OP
Brock9281

Brock9281

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
It’s easy to remove the winch and bar, and there are several options for smaller bull bars. Mopar makes a simple hoop that fits, and there are multiple other options depending on the look you want. Some have tabs for lights too.

Once the winch is removed you’ll have a space on top which can be filled with a metal plate, a plastic/kydex insert, or nothing at all. The front hole can be filled with a front license plate.

Or you can be like 75% of the people running around with winches they never use, and just appreciate the “cool” look and value/resale enhancement! :like::LOL:
Thinking I’ll take off to sell to help fund lift

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That winch is a less expensive Chinese-built Warn. They are plenty popular because of the Warn name and price point at about half the cost of a Warn Zeon, but there are several other Chinese winches branded by Smitty, Quadratech, Harbor Freight, and others that get decent reviews and are super cheap. Lots of folks would buy one of those before buying a used VR — but you never know. There are still folks out there who don’t know the difference in Warn winches (like the difference between “Sears” tools and “Craftsman” tools, both of which used to be sold by Sears.)

For my two cents worth, it adds more to your Jeep than you’ll be able to get for it and, unless the lift kit is just for mall-crawling, you may have an opportunity to use it someday.

sigsegv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
Post it on here as for trade. You may be able to just do the swap in your driveway and pick up a few bucks. Maybe not as much as you think though. Best to keep it. A lifted Jeep should have a winch even if off road is limited to a grass parking lot at a soccer tournament.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
A lifted Jeep doesn’t need a winch. Only keep it if you plan on going wheeling. Otherwise sell it and use the money towards something else. I hate when people buy stuff just to have it and have no need/intention to use it for it’s purpose. It’s literally a waste of money.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I removed the winch off my Sahara. I wasn’t using it either.

I like it better how it drives and rides now without all that weight up front.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brock9281

Brock9281

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I removed the winch off my Sahara. I wasn’t using it either.

I like it better how it drives and rides now without all that weight up front.
Can you send me picture of what bumper looks like now without? Did you have to buy anything to fill gaps or holes?

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
OP - here’s what you’ll need to cover the openings if you remove the winch.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/part-ymm/2021-jeep-wrangler-jl-bumper-closeout-panel.html

I’ve had a winch on all my Wranglers, and while none really saw any off-roading, they did come in handy every once in awhile pulling stuck vehicles out of snow banks or ditches.

I also couldn’t care less what anyone else thinks about how I spend my money :like:

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I hate when people buy stuff just to have it and have no need/intention to use it for it’s purpose. It’s literally a waste of money.
Maybe not worry about what other people do with their money. Maybe they have money to "waste" on things that make them happy without a need for them.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Maybe not worry about what other people do with their money. Maybe they have money to "waste" on things that make them happy without a need for them.
Thats their choice and no one is stopping them. But I will still have my opinion.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I would consider leaving the winch on and maybe be that Good Samaritan someday and help a stuck person out. Or around the homestead for moving/dragging if you do any landscaping.

If it was me and my luck, as soon as I jettisoned the winch, I would have needs for it. Great insurance, especially since you already have it.

Why are you lifting it... to get over obstacles that you might otherwise get stuck on? :idea:
Sponsored

Reactions: GtX