Sponsored

Remote battery terminal using Aux Switches?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Has anyone wired a remote battery terminal to the rear cargo area of the JLU using the Aux switches as a power switch? What is their load capacity?

here’s my idea:
I want to take a remote battery post kit and install it in the rear of my JLU so I can hook up and run my compressor from the rear cargo area post- ride. This way I won’t have to worry about opening my hood, and the compressor will be safe, clean, and stable (if it’s raining, cold, kids need something, etc). As mentioned, I have kids so I don’t want the posts always powered to avoid any accidents. One of the Mopar Aux switches would act as the power switch to power up the terminals, then I could hook up the compressor and start that. I plan on building a 4 way tire inflation system so I can essentially hook everything up and then watch the gauge on the dash, do a post ride check, tend to my kids, or just sit on my ass and BS while everyone else is airing up/ loading trailers instead of running from wheel to wheel and trying to hold My compressor stable on the fender etc.

I know a compressor should be fused (has one inline) and I believe is considered a high draw item, so I want to make sure the Aux switches can handle it, otherwise I would probably need a differenT in-line kill switch.

I don’t know a ton about electrical, and this is probably my first DIY Fab project where I’m not just replacing or upgrading something existing or doing something easy, so explain like I’m 5.

thanks!
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
2 of the aux switches are 40A, seems like you could eliminate complexity and just run the compressor straight off the switch? Unless your compressor is massive and draws more than 40A.

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
What's the amp draw of your compressor? If you have the tow package you could always plug it in right there.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
2 of the aux switches are 40A, seems like you could eliminate complexity and just run the compressor straight off the switch? Unless your compressor is massive and draws more than 40A.
What's the amp draw of your compressor? If you have the tow package you could always plug it in right there.
It’s a small Harbor Freight compressor that clamps onto the battery. I want to keep it portable and not hard wire it, and also don’t want to spend $500 for an ARB unit (yet).

Not sure the Amp draw but I don’t think it would be too big. I wasn’t sure if the Aux switches could safely handle more than a set of lights, or smaller stuff like that. Good to know.

Although now that I think about it, I could probably run one of those jumper cable plug kits and just replace the ends on the compressor with a plug end. I’m trying to think if I would actually need extra battery terminals for anything else?
I can’t weld (at least not well enough) so I won’t be running an On Board Welder, or fridge or anything like that 😆

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Looking more into this option- How do I tell the amperage draw from my compressor, and how can I know I'm using the proper wiring? Can I trust the amperage on the Compressor fuse? Can I just try to match Wiring from the alligator clamps on the compressor?

It looks like most of the quick connect jumper cable kits are not only way heavier duty than I need, but kind of expensive to be kitbashing. Statring to think maybe I could get some wiring, and the plugs and put the kit together myself- I would just need to know the appropriate specs.

Sponsored

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Aux switches 1 and 2 are 40 amps, 3 and 4 are 15 amps. Personally, I would not run a compressor through the switches. I'd use a relay.

LanceMagnum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Definitely can run a modest compressor directly from the 40amp aux switches (dashed lines below show current draw). I've been running an ARB single this way (blue).

Jeep Wrangler JL Remote battery terminal using Aux Switches? 1649008449944

I suspect the specs on the Harbor Freight are in the range.

Using the tow package 7-pin connector is also a good option but that's like 30 amps max.
Sponsored