Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Hard top owners--I can't find this searching the forum.

Can anyone recommend a replacement brand rear wiper, including the plastic arm such generic replacement wipers are sold with, for the rear of the hard top?

Might any old 12" standard wiper and plastic arm likely do?

I've seen the mere rubber wipers (no arm) on Amazon that FCA uses. I'd just rather spend the extra $5 for the wiper and plastic arm combo that clips on to the metal "U" that FCA attaches such plastic parts of the wiper unit to.

Thanks.
Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Hard top owners--I can't find this searching the forum.

Can anyone recommend a replacement brand rear wiper, including the plastic arm such generic replacement wipers are sold with, for the rear of the hard top?

Might any old 12" standard wiper and plastic arm likely do?

I've seen the mere rubber wipers (no arm) on Amazon that FCA uses. I'd just rather spend the extra $5 for the wiper and plastic arm combo that clips on to the metal "U" that FCA attaches such plastic parts of the wiper unit to.

Thanks.
Curious as to why??

...just buy the OEM for $14

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I looked non oem doesn’t fit and the oem was just as cheap at $12

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
@KnG818 , @johnparjr : thanks...exactly what I ended up doing.

People, don't count on aftermarket 12" blades and assemblies being able to fit the JL's rear wiper arm. Definitely go with OEM. One I saw at an auto parts store was to narrow to insert the JL's rear arm into.

: - )

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
"Bosch Rear delivers the same look and feel as your vehicles rear blade." NOT.

I ordered the Bosch H300 "OE Specialty Rear" when it was on pre-season sale at Amazon. The Bosch website states that this will fit 2018 Wrangler JLU with hardtop.

When it came to installing the wiper blade assembly, the Bosch pivot point's diameter was much smaller than the OEM wiper blade, and the Wrangler's wiper arm could not fit through the open spaces on the blade frame, as the openings were too small. Of course the cost is way below economic to return, not to mention too late.

I did find a workaround: Honda has a peculiar wiper blade/frame system where you slide the rubber insert out of the frame, remove the two metal reinforcements, put these two narrow bands in your new rubber insert, and carefully holding the metal bands in (because they do fall out several times before you finally get it), slide the rubber insert into the frame. I saw that both the Mopar and the Bosch had a blade reinforcement system similar to Honda. The Bosch and Mopar dimensions seemed close. So I removed the Bosch rubber insert then slid it into the Mopar frame. With some difficulty, as it doesn't appear to be made for that kind of replacement, but it worked.

When trying to slide the old Mopar insert into the Bosch frame just for fun, the retention "hooks" on the Bosch blade broke. Moot point.

I have a blade that wipes. I've noted some anomaly in the center, which may have come from freezing to the glass, so I'll watch it this Winter. Maybe buy the Mopar unit next time I'm at the dealer, which is not that often.

BTW, I bought Bosch Icon blades for the front. They are very, very close to the OEM configuration, and they went on and function fine.

Happy Holidays, all!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
...When it came to installing the wiper blade assembly, the Bosch pivot point's diameter was much smaller than the OEM wiper blade, and the Wrangler's wiper arm could not fit through the open spaces on the blade frame, as the openings were too small. Of course the cost is way below economic to return, not to mention too late.
Same exact experience, right up to the promise that it 't fit, and didn't, for the same two reasons you cite: pivot arm size difference and open space size being to narrow to fit the OEM wiper arm.

I did find a workaround: Honda has a peculiar wiper blade/frame system where you slide the rubber insert out of the frame, remove the two metal reinforcements, put these two narrow bands in your new rubber insert, and carefully holding the metal bands in (because they do fall out several times before you finally get it), slide the rubber insert into the frame....
@Mad Hatter : I feel like we're in some parallel universe..same story with the rear wiper blade on my Honda too!

Thanks for your hack.

People: barring other people's findings about other aftermarket rear blades fitting the JL hardtop's rear wiper, I'm afraid this is just one of those things, even if a dollar or two more than a non-compatible aftermarket, we are wedded to MOPAR for outfitting us with. : - )

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
@Mad Hatter and @Rahneld you guys literally just did the same as me... except I just said screw it and put the rear OEM one back on after a good cleaning...