Sponsored

Rear window rattling

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Doc737

I found silicone would quit working in a week or so. I then switched to bulb grease...

Apply fairly thick and work it in.... then, wipe off the excess. There will be a little sheen but nothing transferable to clothes, etc..

I have been using it for say seven months. I did reapply after 3 months just to lets say ace my bet.. Anyway, no creak or rattle for 7 months and 15,000+ miles.
Sponsored

Doc737

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2016 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Pushing aluminum through the skies
@Doc737

I found silicone would quit working in a week or so. I then switched to bulb grease...

Apply fairly thick and work it in.... then, wipe off the excess. There will be a little sheen but nothing transferable to clothes, etc..

I have been using it for say seven months. I did reapply after 3 months just to lets say ace my bet.. Anyway, no creak or rattle for 7 months and 15,000+ miles.
@Rhinebeck01, thanks for that. I will plan on switching to bulb grease if this fix is short lived as you experienced. O’Reilleys today had bulb grease, but they wanted $2 bucks for a packet the size of a ketchup or mustard packet at the ball game. I’ll check Home Depot for a better option. What type did you buy?

Thanks for the info,
Doc

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DOC

I bought the Permatex 81150 Dielectric Grease, .33 oz., at Walmart or my local auto parts place, I can't remember which. The small tube was about $2.50. A tube lasts a long long long time..

31I-3cHIsbL.jpg

Doc737

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@DOC

I bought the Permatex 81150 Dielectric Grease, .33 oz., at Walmart or my local auto parts place, I can't remember which. The small tube was about $2.50. A tube lasts a long long long time..

31I-3cHIsbL.jpg
Great! Thanks for the info and pic!

Gone Bamboo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Lately my back window has started to rattle. I got in the back and pushed it out while the Mrs. was driving and the window stopped rattling. I don't know if this is a coincidence but it seems to have started when I put the Rubicon rims/tires on our Sahara, i.e. the spare tire is now a bit heavier.
It could also be that from usage everything has loosened up a bit.
Is anyone else experiencing this? I plan on removing the tire and seeing if noise goes away as well as seeing if the latch can be adjusted, however it's already a pretty firm pull to pop the latch.
My 18 JLUS rear window rattles also. Dealer thought it was a tailight and replaced it . Did not fix. I finally figured it out about the time the rear defrost contack came un soldered from the back window. They have a new rear window ordered. B/O for 8 weeks. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks it will get installed.

Sponsored

wpamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
@DOC

31I-3cHIsbL.jpg
I'm not sure why this works, but wow! What a difference! I've been delaing with the rattling for about six months now, and it has driven me CRAZY! Multiple warranty repairs, replaced weather stripping, and waiting on new tailgate glass per FCA. Up until I read this, I had a block of wood Gorilla Taped to the bottom of the glass to stop the rattle. Of course the new glass is on backorder, but I hope the bulb grease will see me through. Thanks!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure why this works, but wow! What a difference! I've been delaing with the rattling for about six months now, and it has driven me CRAZY! Multiple warranty repairs, replaced weather stripping, and waiting on new tailgate glass per FCA. Up until I read this, I had a block of wood Gorilla Taped to the bottom of the glass to stop the rattle. Of course the new glass is on backorder, but I hope the bulb grease will see me through. Thanks!
@wpamba

Glad the hint worked for you as it has worked for me and some other forum member's. Sometimes, I have good ideas. ;)

LoveBugJL

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2012 JLU Shara
After two weeks of ownership,mine developed said rattle. Applied liberal amount of the sil-glyde and seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the heads up!
Just an update. The dealer called me and said they had the part in and scheduled the install in mid February (about 10 days out from when they called me). Then the day before the scheduled appointment, the service writer called me and said it was the wrong part, so I would have to wait until March 6th. I called him tonight, to check if the part had come in, but just got his voice mail. I left him a message asking for a status update. I've had my new Jeep 6 months now, with it creaking / rattling. This is the 2nd time they "got the wrong part'. Getting a bit tired of being jerked around. I'll let you know how things progress or not :-(

Doc737

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just an update. The dealer called me and said they had the part in and scheduled the install in mid February (about 10 days out from when they called me). Then the day before the scheduled appointment, the service writer called me and said it was the wrong part, so I would have to wait until March 6th. I called him tonight, to check if the part had come in, but just got his voice mail. I left him a message asking for a status update. I've had my new Jeep 6 months now, with it creaking / rattling. This is the 2nd time they "got the wrong part'. Getting a bit tired of being jerked around. I'll let you know how things progress or not :-(
Any update?

wpamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Any update?
Similar thing happened to me. I guess FCA switched to a new supplier because of all the problems with the tailgate glass and weatherstripping. My dealer said it's backordered indefinitely...

Sponsored

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
@LoveBugJL

Look closely at the large gasket along the bottom of hatch window. You will notice a very deep part of the gasket.... that deep part is where say a 1/4" of your painted rear tailgate's upper edge goes into. It is there where you need to use the bulb grease. Do all the way across ...apply in that deep part. After you get it applied wipe off the heavy stuff so, down the road you do not lean against it.... get it on your clothes. etc.
Hi there- I read your comment-can you please take a picture of the exact location where the grease is to be applied? I would very much appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

GSTAuthor

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
@LoveBugJL

Many here, have experienced the creak/rattle sound you seem to have on your JL.

For most, the fix was to lubricate the rear hatch window gasket. Some have used silicone, I used bulb grease. I found the silicone only did the job for a week or two... the bulb grease I applied has been doing the job for months now. ( I applied a coating of bulb grease and then wiped the grease off.... the residue that was left embedded in the gasket prevents the creak. ) I told my local dealer tech about the bulb grease trick and he is using this trick on JL's that come in with the "creak" . 8-)

My guess is your dealership tech damaged the gasket on your JL or whatever. FCA has been telling dealer's to replace the rear window versus doing any work on it to include, refastening wires that come off from the window, defective wiper motor, etc..

Note: IF a rear tailgate has a metal to metal rattle/noise, there are two mechanical adjustments that can be made on the tail gate in regard to the latch and the plastic latch slide.
This worked for me! At first I thought it was going to be the spare rubbing against the bump stops, but I was wrong. I took the spare off and it was still there.

I read this and rubbed some silicone spray lubricant on the gasket across the bottom of the window and the noise went away!

Thanks Rhinebeck.

LoveBugJL

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2012 JLU Shara
About a month after getting Jeep Customer Care involved, I was able to get the dealer to get the new rear window procured and after they installed about 10 days ago. I can report it did fix the problem, and only took them 7 months.

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
I’m having the same issue as well. Will try the bulb grease after work.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know WHY greasing the gasket seems to do the trick?

As others have stated, having a second person push the glass tight to the tailgate eliminates the rattle. How does a light coat of grease accomplish the same?

Dasch

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Are there any updates on this? I am looking for a permanent fix. I have tried applying squeak reduction tape AND foam tape to the top of the swing gate and although they definitely helped the issue, there were still small squeaks and rattles. Is the permanent fix to have to replace the rear glass and if the dealership can’t even diagnose it properly, how do I get them to replace the rear glass? I’m in Canada btw.

thanks
Sponsored