Rear Passenger Window Vandalized

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
They smashed and ran. You can’t see *anything* through the windows unless the sun is directly hitting them, and this was almost 6:00 pm. The JL is a little beefy and draws attention, and in retrospect, I think I saw the little darlings who did this as I drove into the parking lot. It was a few teens/early 20 guys who wanted to start their night off with a bang, and I was a nice target.
That sucks. Sorry this happened to you. Let us know how you get it fixed in case it happens to any of us. Good luck.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Honestly, I haven’t yet called because of the time it took to clean up all the glass, but have lurked here and saw a post with a $650 price tag w/o insurance. Good luck w/the windshield! Been watching my w/s crack travel in unexpected directions for the last couple of months. ;)
Sorry this happened to you. Maybe you can save a few bucks by having your windshield done at the same time as the side window. Maybe save on a additional service call? Just a thought on getting something positive out of a bad situation. Good luck with this.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
It’s a damn shame that they would get their kicks off by destroying someone’s property. Wish they could catch them and make them do community service for a month. And pay for your repairs.
or hard labor for a year... as a victim of teenage window smashers I'd vote for that

OP
OP
Wasser

Wasser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
As a retired LEO I'll say that is probably the reason they chose that particular window. Thieves love convenience, it's quicker. Sorry to see this happened to you Wasser. Also, Safelite may be your best bet to get it repaired quickly. And, don't forget to call your insurance company, it may be covered under your policy.
There was a community peace officer sitting in a city police car down the street, blocking traffic due to a huge tree down from the heavy winds yesterday. I stopped and let him know, just in case there were other reports of vandalism last night. You couldn't see anything, and they didn't take anything -- I just think this car is a target the way my old one wasn't. It's weird, but oddly understandable when you take into account the mentality of the guys who did it.

I'm calling insurance today, but sourcing the glass seems to be the big issue. :headbang: Husband is out there with door in a couple of pieces right now, but until I find something, plastic/acrylic and I may be good friends.

AEDRUBI

First Name
AED
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL RUBICON
I have a few stories, like friends that had CJs that during freezes, neighborhood vandals thought it be fun to punch out the plastic windows. I had an 08 JKU w/soft top and crossed country only to come home to have someone cut the side window to get a first aid pack I hadn’t unpacked yet.

But I’d report it to the store and police, and depending upon your police they may look into it, maybe even gain video and investigate.

It’s more likely a pro will be required to replace the window and pull apart door to vacuum any debris that can cause problems later with the power window

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
55 car break ins a day in SF, and thats down 72%. Interesting thing about running doorless is people see there is nothing and dont smash to go through stuff. I have the tuffy console lock for stuff I dont want nabbed, and otherwise dont leave stuff in Jeep.

I am glad they did not get anything, some people lose $$$.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I'm calling insurance today, but sourcing the glass seems to be the big issue. :headbang: Husband is out there with door in a couple of pieces right now, but until I find something, plastic/acrylic and I may be good friends.
what... take your doors off...

OP
OP
Wasser

Wasser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
what... take your doors off...
:rock: Absolutely thought of that last night, but it isn't feasible for days when we ski and leave it with a trailer in the lot. The launch areas aren't usually manned at all and sketch people often hang out near the river. Someone would steal our parks pass. :swear:

Frankly, if I was driving an older Jeep, it wouldn't be an issue at all. The only time I've ever had a problem is when the damn thing is sealed up tight. Top off? Windows down? Nary a problem.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
:rock: Absolutely thought of that last night, but it isn't feasible for days when we ski and leave it with a trailer in the lot. The launch areas aren't usually manned at all and sketch people often hang out near the river. Someone would steal our parks pass. :swear:

Frankly, if I was driving an older Jeep, it wouldn't be an issue at all. The only time I've ever had a problem is when the damn thing is sealed up tight. Top off? Windows down? Nary a problem.
I bought a motor cycle pass to keep my yearly park pass in, and lock to grab handle on dash. Boom! victory. Remember thief can break your window and grab that permit faster than you can with your key. Literally 2-3 seconds snatch and grab. window = false sense of security.

Only oddity i have had was some dirt bag put a dirty diaper in back of jeep in a parking lot outside a brew pub in Petaluma...

here is my post on the parking permit lock:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/lockable-parking-permit-case.6274/#post-314341

Sponsored

Snowshoes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ZJ 5.2 / 2018 JL 3.6
I know one guy who had a hell of a time getting his replaced. Poor guy is a Canadian and he was driving thru.... Yep California :CWL: Hey @Snowshoes , did you ever get your window replacement? I want to say his was the rear passenger also. At that time, the windows were unavailable and he had to use tape/plastic. Also, his tape job was damn good:rock: Yes, it's amazing that people can just be straight up assholes just because they can :angry: Good luck and keep up posted :like:
It took 4 months to receive the replacement glass. Now that I replaced it I can't be happier. But it was a hardtop quarter glass so DIY was pretty easy.

OP
OP
Wasser

Wasser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I've been there, it sucks. Hope you have better luck than me. If it takes too long, get Jeepcares involved.
The good news is that I tracked down a part number from a dealership in Cerritos whose parts department is...wait for it...open on Sundays! Said dealership is hours away from me, but I needed to take action. Wasser is quite handy, and took the door apart this morning to clean out the glass and rinse other window pieces of glass, as well. Seems like price will be reasonable, thus far, but we’ll see.

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
I know this sounds strange, but call RV Coach Glass in Coburg, OR - https://coachglass.com/contact-us-rv-specialty-glass-distributor-united-states/ - The replaced windshield on my 2013 Sahara a few years ago, great job OEM glass, all of it. See if they can get the glass and ship to you then most glass shops or the dealer body shop can do it. They are an excellent place for glass to be fixed, repaired, I have used them 3 times on RV.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
The good news is that I tracked down a part number from a dealership in Cerritos whose parts department is...wait for it...open on Sundays! Said dealership is hours away from me, but I needed to take action. Wasser is quite handy, and took the door apart this morning to clean out the glass and rinse other window pieces of glass, as well. Seems like price will be reasonable, thus far, but we’ll see.
Ha... that's where my Jeep gets serviced. Didn't realize their parts and service departments were open Sundays. Thanks for the heads up! :like:

Hope you get your window problems fixed soon!
Sponsored