JL got vandalized. Need replacement glass

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I am sorry about your glass getting broke. However, seeing the comment showing the rear window rotopax inset has given me all I need to go forward. I wanted to do this earlier but just couldn't conceptualize it and couldn't pull the trigger. Never thought about googling it and seeing that product.
Anyway, my prototype is forthcoming. Plan is to carry one 3.5 gallon Fuelpax on each side. Having been in Death Valley as well as both the Mojave and the AZ deserts for days at a time and having to come out for gas this will be my solution. I looked into an auxiallary tank but all the manufacturers gave me a no.
I'm thinking this will give me a solid 350 mile range of off road capability figuring 12.5 mpg avg off road. Probably more as even on some of those off road 'road type' miles I have seen quite a bit higher.
Anyway, good luck with your glass and I do appreciate the comment from RussJeep1.
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I am sorry about your glass getting broke. However, seeing the comment showing the rear window rotopax inset has given me all I need to go forward. I wanted to do this earlier but just couldn't conceptualize it and couldn't pull the trigger. Never thought about googling it and seeing that product.
Anyway, my prototype is forthcoming. Plan is to carry one 3.5 gallon Fuelpax on each side. Having been in Death Valley as well as both the Mojave and the AZ deserts for days at a time and having to come out for gas this will be my solution. I looked into an auxiallary tank but all the manufacturers gave me a no.
I'm thinking this will give me a solid 350 mile range of off road capability figuring 12.5 mpg avg off road. Probably more as even on some of those off road 'road type' miles I have seen quite a bit higher.
Anyway, good luck with your glass and I do appreciate the comment from RussJeep1.
Vic: Thanks. While I fully support your project and creativity, and while many a vehicle depends solely on its side view mirrors for lateral visibility, and while still yet you may have the safety features (I don't) on the JL that indicate the presence of objects at your "3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9," all I ask is that you consider the options for Rotopax placement on other parts of the rig than the rear passenger's window: as mentioned above, for visibility sake.

And yet still others, with Flash and other CANbus gear can set the rear view camera to always be on; not just the 8 or so seconds the factory set it to when engaged via the app.

I'm sure you'll come to a solution that balances benefit and risk.:)

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Point taken. So far with rosin paper templates blacking out rear windows I am not having any issues. Nothing will stick out farther than window and no visibility issue seems blocked thru rear veiw mirror looking back between roll cage window.
So far seems like a win win

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
WOW, You were a ways from home! Sadly Tellico is still closed to the best of my knowledge. It sucks as I'm just a few miles from there.

GeneralSin

First Name
Pepe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Scrambler, Triumph Street Triple 765RS, Subie Forester XT
Wow,
That sucks that your Jeep got vandalized.

*sigh* Happened to me once on a day near Christmas time. Nothing was stolen. I put a tonneau cover in the back of my VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI and that was the cause of it. The thief thought that I have stuff in there but only to find out that nothing's there. I had to pay for a new window. At least, I went for the cheapest deal because we were about to return the car to VW due to dieselgate.

Rule of thumb when visiting cities that have "sanctuary laws", clean up your car's interior, leave absolutely nothing in your car, make sure every crannies and nook are empty. Just close your door and take a look inside, if you can see something then clean it up.

If I have relatives or friends coming over by car or renting a car from the airport, I would suggest them that.

By the way, that tape job... just wow!!! You are an artist!

Sponsored

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear about your situation. You will know a lot more tomorrow about inventory and parts availability once dealerships open back up. Call early, I think many parts and glass companies open early. Maybe you will get lucky and locate one. The above suggestion about plexiglass is not a bad idea. In LA there should be a lot of places that can cut a sheet of plastic to seal your opening. Or maybe some thicker plastic sheeting taped with Gorilla Tape as a last resort. Good luck with this.

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Just a quick update. I had to check out at the airbnb place. I re did the cardboard with the 3M ducktape. Had to stop by 7 gas stations to find vacuum machine. Now gotta drive 400 miles :)

20181224_211846.jpg

1545768293641.jpg
Nicely done!

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
When thinking about visibility, just remember that cargo vans and box trucks have no rear visibility and they get buy. Sure, visibility is great but there are ways to block off the rear windows and still drive, just have to be more careful and possibly add more mirrors.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Snowshoes

Snowshoes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ZJ 5.2 / 2018 JL 3.6
Another quick update.
Duck tape holding up great. Glad I didn't cheap out on the duck tape.
Replacement glass still in back order and not a single one available in Canada.
Sponsored