Sponsored

Rear Dana 44 (JLU) Aftermarket Covers and Heat load!

RoadNomad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I know most people purchase Diff covers to keep from being incapacitated out on the trail or climbing rocks.

They are usually much better designed the the factory tin covers and also look better.

With that said I don't care about the aesthetics or ability to protect the diff from climbing rocks, BUT what I do concern myself with is keeping the diff fluid as cool as possible.

For a number of years I had Banks Diff covers on my 2500HD Duramax that I pulled a 5th wheel with. The Banks covers channeled the air as you drove over the rear cover and did a great job of dissipating heat.

Unfortunately Banks does not make a cover for our Jeeps.

While my Jeep is mostly my wifes pavement princess used for long road trips I wanted a cover that would do a better job of keeping the fluid cool. Looking over the many different covers out there they all seem to focus on how strong they are and able to survive impacts, but none mention heat control.

Some even say a cast iron covers actually makes the heat load worse because they absorb but don't bleed of the heat. I have contacted a number of companies regarding this and for the most part have been told to just keep the factory cover especially if you don't do any serious off roading.

Anyone out there know of a cover that will IN FACT help with the heat load of the Dana 44?

Thanks!
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
If your worried about heat soak from cast, there are several options that are welded out of plate/sheet. Motobilt, Next Venture, etc.

OP
OP
RoadNomad

RoadNomad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
The easiest thing to do is to drive 10 mph slower. The heat at 75 vs 65, etc. is quite a difference. The best thing you can do to keep the diff cool is the speed down. It will likely be a bigger difference than any cover.
Honestly good advise but not likely (remember, were dealing with women here and they usually don't like to be told how to drive) lol

I found a Dana Spicer finned aluminum cover on Jegs and Summit under $100 but it doesn't say for 2018 JL and newer, gonna try to give them a call and see what they say. I think the covers changed between the JK and JL.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Honestly good advise but not likely (remember, were dealing with women here and they usually don't like to be told how to drive) lol

I found a Dana Spicer finned aluminum cover on Jegs and Summit under $100 but it doesn't say for 2018 JL and newer, gonna try to give them a call and see what they say. I think the covers changed between the JK and JL.
Definietly changed. Dana has JL covers, but ,IIRC, they're cast.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

The Dana Advantek 44 covers are finned and super stout. Plus they are Dana, so I’d imagine they intend them to work well for their own axles. I have a set and tow regularly, diff fluid gets changed every 10k miles or so and looks good when I drain it.

OP
OP
RoadNomad

RoadNomad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
The Dana Advantek 44 is a cast cover. In some correspondence I had with Dana Spicer they confirmed that the JL has a newer series diff cover and the finned covers offered for the JK series wont fit.

They recommended the Advantek cover for heavy duty off road use to protect from impact damage but say the stamped steel factory cover will actually do a better job of dissipating heat then the cast cover. The thick cast iron while protecting the axle from impact damage just holds the heat. Also there is no directed air flow under the vehicle to help draw the heat away.

Unfortunately they do not offer and aluminum fined cover for the newer 44 like that were available for the prior model 44. I also had a conversation with a tech at Banks that for the most part echo'd the same thing Dana said. Banks has no offerings for Jeep differentials, sad. Oh well,

I might try to purchase a rear diff protecter from Rough Country then modify it to channel air up and across the rear cover. A little cutting and welding and you get Protection and cooling all in one! Seems like the best of both worlds. lol

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
In the end, all you can do is increase viscosity to 75W-140, change it with moderate frequency, and try to find a cover that allows for more capacity. These axles run much hotter than comparable ones.

Unloaded at 75MPH in 95°F ambient temperature:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Dana 44 (JLU) Aftermarket Covers and Heat load! IMG_20200808_123246

Sponsored

OP
OP
RoadNomad

RoadNomad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
In the end, all you can do is increase viscosity to 75W-140, change it with moderate frequency, and try to find a cover that allows for more capacity. These axles run much hotter than comparable ones.
Unloaded at 75MPH in 95°F ambient temperature:
Thanks for uploading this, I know the 44 runs warm but I had no idea it got THAT HOT! I am wanting to make a long run to Vegas in June, 600 miles each way in summer. I am already running 75w-140 syn.

If I can't come up with a better solution I am thinking I better plan on a cool down every 300 miles or so then change the lube once I get home. I think if I ran the 600 miles at 75 without anything but fuel stops I might trash the diff from the heat.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you're serious about cooling it, put a pump and cooler on it.

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
(Saw this, and just HAD to register to reply!)

Have a JT which burned out the diff. Was towing a 2000lb pop-up trailer up steep mountain passes, full power for several minutes at a time, but the diff actually failed a year later at around 20K miles. So it was wearing out gradually. Got it replaced under warranty (entire axle), and also learned about the Dana recommendation for 75W140 diff lube, which I now use. And I'll change it more often.

By the way, the first warning sign of failure was a hissing sound coming into the cabin through the parking brake cable. The sound changed if pulling up the parking brake handle slightly. That was not there when new, but gradually increased as the year went on. Now it's gone with the new diff.

Anyhow, like the OP I've been concerned by the temperature of the axle and the tendency of most armor to retain heat. Thus, I kept the stock diff covers, but added the following diff guards:
Spider Differential Rock Guards

The result retains the heat shedding of the stock diff cover, adds some armor, and maybe even adds some heat sink as well, except that they are powder coated and thus may not draw out the heat as much as we might wish. But they are held directly against the stock diff cover flange.

OP
OP
RoadNomad

RoadNomad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I had a long and interesting conversation with Amsoil tech support regarding this issue.

Here's what I was told, first cast armored covers should only be used if there is a purpose such as your an avid off roader and you need the additional protection, if you own a pavement princess that never is subjected to impact damage from rocks stick with the factory stamped steel cover.

Now here's the one that will draw a rebellion, Amsoil recommends Severe Gear 75w90 on all 3rd gen Dana 44's and NOT 75w140 UNLESS you are towing!

Here's why, the higher viscosity will actually cause the diff to run hotter and the thicker oil does not dissipate the heat as well as the 75w90.

The general thought is a combination pumpkin rear cover protector or something that is external an not in the diff fluid is better then an armored cover for heat control.

I was also told Amsoil's Severe Gear can easily handle temperatures up to 300 degree's and will not break down like most other diff oils.

So my plans, order some Amsoil 75w90 and removing the 75w140, installing a modified Rough Country Differential protector that will channel the air from under the vehicle and send it back and up across the rear cover. A little time with my plasma cutter some bending and re-welding an I think we will be good to go. Best of both words, Differential protection and added heat removal!

Necessity is the mother of invention, lol. Once I have it completed I will check it with my FLIR gun and see how well it works!
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Dana 44 (JLU) Aftermarket Covers and Heat load! diff